In resubmission meltdown.

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
OK.

So five or six weeks ago an agent asked me to rework my manuscript. I have spent that time working my butt off, and now have the finished product (bar a final edit).

I am too terrified to send it back! It wasn't like when I sent out the original manuscript - it was my first attempt at a novel, I thought I would have a punt and see if anyone took a bite. Now I have an agent who wants the damn thing, but ONLY IF I GET IT RIGHT! If she rejects it, I'll know I was so close, that it was within my grasp. Hell, I can almost taste that contract now...

I worked and re-worked this thing, chopped it up, pieced it back together, hacked it apart again... But when do I know it's right? Surely I should know? Or is it like a painting - maybe just one more brush stroke?

I made perhaps 75% of the changes she suggested, and I reckon it is close to 50% new material, and 10k longer. I didn't change two major parts that she suggested I look at - they were things that defined my book, so I tried to create a better way of delivering those aspects rather than cutting them altogether. Now I'm second guessing myself.

*Sigh.*

Any help/suggestions/telling me to snap out of it would be good right now.

Carla

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you just need to pick a random deadline and send it in. It may not be perfect -- nothing ever is -- but as long as you can say that it's the best you can do at your current level of expertise, then pick a date and just send it.

JD, who has a problem with letting go of her manuscripts, and feels your angst.

MoonStone

in touch
Registered
Reaction score
w00t! That is awesome!

Just remember that if you send it in you have a chance. If you don't, you never will. And what could be worse than never? At least with your new version you can also send it to other agents. I would go for it.

GL

Danthia

Breathe and send it out. In the end, no matter what happens, it's a better book because of your work. If this agent passes (and hopefully she won't!) then you have a better book to submit to the next agent.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
You know what you have to do -- send it, send it now, send it today. You have done as much as you can do and it doesn't sound like there's any way you can make it better, which it may not need to be. And bear in mind that at times we are our own worst enemies. You might nit pic and nit pic and wind up making it worse.

Good luck.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought is if it's that close for a first novel, just send it and try not to worry about it. Even if this one doesn't make it, the next one will be even better. Work on it while you're waiting. A lot of people spend years and write multiple novels before they get interest (lol uh...yours truly included), so the fact that you're doing this well is a great sign. :D

Good luck!

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have set a deadline - this week is for revisions and on Friday I hit the send button. Eek!