Tennessee charity auction--Mystery critique

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
It's a shame that these things have gotten so expensive. They are GREAT prizes, but the people who can afford them... oh well, not going to make any assumptions about people I don't know.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Oh there were a couple I reaaaally wanted. I'd love to have gotten the full manuscript critique and phone call from Janet Reid, but I just don't have a thousand dollars I could spend on that. If it was two hundred or so, maybe, but even that's pushing it for me. I just don't have throw away money at the moment, especially with everything coming up this summer and the fact that I'm probably going to spend close to five hundred dollars at the post office on Monday.

They do also have a direct donation area if you still want to support the cause, though.

SJ Gordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sjgordononline.com
I am spoiled. :rolleyes My husband wanted me to bid on it anyway. It's a great prize, though, and I very much doubt the bidding will stay at this level.

For my sake, I'd like it to stay where it is. For the sake of the people who will benefit from this really terrific effort, I hope it goes through the roof.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yeah, totally. It's definitely great for the people who need it when it goes high. :) Good luck, anyway!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At least my cat has just about dried out.

;-)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! That's good to hear. You know how cats feel about being wet. :(

Are things okay for you? The pictures we were seeing on the news were quite awful.
It was pretty bad all around Nashville and Middle Tennessee. I was okay for the most part, but I had friends whose houses were heavily damaged and one friend lost both cars (you can see videos of her street by going to YouTube and searching for Harpeth Bend Drive). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmtbyPlDc9I&feature=related

Right now the whole area is in cleanup mode. We're making a lot of progress, but there is a lot still left to do. You can drive down some streets and it's like driving through a dump; people have put everything they owned out to the curb to be carted away.

Thanks for your concerns, but don't worried about us too much. We're all helping one another and working to put things back to where they were as much as possible. Give us six months and you won't know there was a 1000-year flood here.

My community (Bellevue) is holding the annual community picnic tomorrow despite the floods. It was decided that the devastation wasn't going to keep us from living our lives (and eating barbecue and potato salad ;-). http://bellevuepicnic.com/index.html

Last edited:

SJ Gordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sjgordononline.com
I really admire the positive approach. Please scarf down some barbeque and potato salad for me. :)

Even with the video images, it's hard for people in my area to really grasp the scope of the damage. We are, after all, the desert where floods are 'flash floods' and devastating enough, but nothing, NOTHING like what you've been experiencing.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Alleycat, I'm glad you're doing okay. I lived near Houston back when we had the tropical storm a few years back that flooded everything, and I remember how devastating that was. I'll be saying prayers for the people who have lost everything.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Lunch with Miss Snark! MISS SNARK!!!! That wasn't nearly big enough. You have no idea how much I want that. Unfortunately, I'd have to start a fundraiser of my own just to raise enough money for it.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I've met Miss Snark and she is not a nice person. She comes to our local mystery conference every year. I did a pitch with her, and she jumped right down my throat that my premise was ridiculous, that it would never happen. She considers herself an expert on the mob. Not that I'm an expert on the mob, myself. Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want to have lunch with her. :scared:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, really? Mostly I'm just curious to see who it is. I've heard some speculation, but don't actually know.

Anyway, that's good to know. :tongue

SJ Gordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sjgordononline.com
I've read her blog, of course, but that's as close as I ever expect to come. :p I can imagine she would be intimidating. I guess that can be seen as a good thing but being considered nice and approachable has some advantages, too, I'm sure.

ToddWBush

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I've met Miss Snark and she is not a nice person. She comes to our local mystery conference every year. I did a pitch with her, and she jumped right down my throat that my premise was ridiculous, that it would never happen. She considers herself an expert on the mob. Not that I'm an expert on the mob, myself. Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want to have lunch with her. :scared:

Um, Miss Snark considers herself an expert on the mob? My question is why is she a literary agent then and not an FBI agent? I love it when people who think they know things because they've read books consider themselves experts.

I'm a football coach by profession (as well as in education administration). I have to go to clinics, read books, read articles, watch game film, DVR games to learn the new stuff. I've been doing it professionally for four years, which isn't long. My father did it for over 16 years. If you asked either of us if we were "experts" at football, we would give an emphatic "HELL no!" Nor would I consider someone who read a few books an expert. Jesey, don't let Miss Snark put you down. You know just as much as her.

My bad for taking over the thread. Just that kind of crap irks me to no end.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's been the speculation I'd heard as well, but no one knew if it was actually true. It was just based on similar writing styles. Interesting, in any case.

Isn't there a writer's conference sometime in Boston or something this fall people have mentioned? Yeah, I'm derailing my own thread. I'm gonna go visit my bro sometime and I'm wondering when it is. Not sure if I'd go, but I'm toying with the idea. :)

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
That's been the speculation I'd heard as well, but no one knew if it was actually true. It was just based on similar writing styles. Interesting, in any case.

Isn't there a writer's conference sometime in Boston or something this fall people have mentioned? Yeah, I'm derailing my own thread. I'm gonna go visit my bro sometime and I'm wondering when it is. Not sure if I'd go, but I'm toying with the idea. :)

I was sitting with Janet Reid, doing a pitch, and I asked her outright if she was Miss Snark. She said she had no idea what I was talking about, but she winked when she said it.

You're thinking of Crime Bake - http://www.crimebake.org

I'll be there.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I might be able to make it out there. Even if I don't do the conference, I bet I can find a way to meet up with some other AWers there. That'd be awesome. :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I would love to be able to go to Crime Bake. Tough call. November has been pretty good in NY. But it is always a toss up to drive in November. Guess I could fly. I've only doe it once, and I don't think I would do it alone. I would probably get lost 5 minutes after the plane landed. :D

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
History Sleuth, if you fly in, I will pick you up at the airport. Either Manchester, NH, or Logan. Not Providence, that's the wrong direction. You can also take the train into Boston, and Amtrak has a stop right near the conference hotel.

SJ Gordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sjgordononline.com
I would love to go to a conference this year but I have my doubts about it. Airfare. Yikes! :scared:

Buchecon is more possible seeing as it is, at least, on this end of the country. Even that is awkward. The Husband would have to take time off work to look after The Son which is hard on everyone. Of course, if The Grandparents are in town at the time of a conference, we might be talking business. My husband is more than willing to take on my share of things for a few days while I go to a con, but I know it's difficult (as well as expensive), so I hesitate.

However, if anyone goes, I would love to hear a post-game wrap up and see pictures!

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking I probably won't make the conference itself, but I'm going to see who all's going. Maybe we can all meet up for dinner somewhere?

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
Crime Bake conference was: Tennessee charity auction

I'm thinking I probably won't make the conference itself, but I'm going to see who all's going. Maybe we can all meet up for dinner somewhere?

Serious thread drift here. The conference goes until 12:30 on Sunday. Maybe all of us in the area can meet somewhere for lunch at 1 or so?

my email is [email protected] Feel free to take this to email, or start a new thread.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Oooh, that's a good idea. I might start a new thread tomorrow. I'm time pressed at the moment, but clever idea, that. ;)