Fast draw

TheRob1

Trained by the soft master
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm writing a story that's got some heavy western flair to it and one of the characters is basically the fast draw of the group. I'm working on a scene where he gives one of his subordinates some advice and coaching on how to be a better fast draw.

My question is this: does anyone know of any good resources for people who are beginners at fast drawing?

I'm hoping for books or documentaries, but I'll take any help I can get.

Stanmiller

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm writing a story that's got some heavy western flair to it and one of the characters is basically the fast draw of the group. I'm working on a scene where he gives one of his subordinates some advice and coaching on how to be a better fast draw.

My question is this: does anyone know of any good resources for people who are beginners at fast drawing?

I'm hoping for books or documentaries, but I'll take any help I can get.

Rob,

Google Ed McGivern. His book is in reprint now. Best there ever was, except for Bob Munden and Jerry Michulek (who just recently broke some of McGivern's records set back in the 20's and 30's.) Google them too.

--Stan

Sharpshooter

Registered
Reaction score
TheRob1,

Check out the Cowboy Fast Draw Association website (http://www.cowboyfastdraw.com/) This is a modern competition, and they may have some links to training tips.

BTW, the previous comments on Bob Mundin are correct. He's fast.

I do Cowboy Action Shooting, with real bullets, and we have to actually hit a target with the first shot (out of the holster), so there is very little of Mundin's pelvic lurch with the gun muzzle still at holster level. Mostly we bring the front sight up to eye level before shooting. I think that would be more realistic to the old west, where hitting the target might be the difference b etween riding off into the sunset and being driven up to Boot Hill.

Look up the gunfight between Wild Bill Hickock and Dave Tutt. It is supposedly the ONLY gunfight in the real west where the combatants faced off, drew and shot. It was a measured 75 yards, and Hickock shot second (Tutt missed), drilling Tutt through the heart.

Cool stuff, and it wasn't even made up!

Best of luck,

Sharpshooter