Major transaltlantic airlines- good/bad/ugly? (US to Europe)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I've flown across the Pacific via Air New Zealand and Qantas, and while both are nice with a fair bit of room and personal monitors, I know nothing about big flights on other airlines.

There's a 100-300 $ difference in some of the flights I looked at, with some of the lower bidders being Lot (Polish airlines), Virgin Atlantic, and Royal Dutch. British Airways, Lufthansa, and others weighed in too, depending on the day.

So, given a choice of airlines for a hop across the pond (less so trans-euro), which would be the pick of the litter and why?

All else being equal, I prefer comfort the most due to not enjoying nasty muscle cramps after so many hours squashed behind someone. I can always bring my own entertainment, and as I learned flying on Qantas, personal entertainment can get buggy. (Both ways! Argh! Though I did see Up and most of Zombieland).

Qantas also worked with me, giving me the roomier seats just behind first/business/whatever. (They were also kind enough to bring me a cheese plate to save me from a sugar crash, so a big thumbs up to them and thus ends this plug for Qantas) :) Anyone have good experiences like that with other airlines?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, my pick out of those choices would definitely be British Airways. They're comfortable, friendly, and the food is good. They're worth--to me--the slightly higher ticket price.

I've flown with them several times and my experience has always been positive.

Since comfort is your main concern, I have to say I had plenty of leg and arm room in the regular rows, but I'm pretty small so I'm comfortable traveling coach on domestic airlines, too. But the actual seats were pretty comfy. I can't complain at all. :D

Yes, they have personal monitors, too, and they weren't the least bit buggy.

You'll find, I'm sure, BA will be willing to work with you to accommodate your needs. They're pretty awesome like that. :)

ETA: I'd definitely say BA is comparable to Qantas. Singapore Airlines is also fantastic, although probably not an option in this instance.

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with aadams, British Airways are very good. I've never had a bad flight with them. It's been a while since I've flown Virgin, but I liked them too.

Singapore is the best airline by a long chalk.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, British Airways is good. I've also never had a bad flight with Aer Lingus.

One of the nicest international flights I ever took was with SAS to Copenhagen, but that was years ago and I have no idea what it would be like now.

trocadero

Registered
Reaction score
Website
carolynwoulfe.livejournal.com
I fly from Hong Kong to the US and Korean Air is very comfortable - lots of space and good value. I will never fly United internationally again. No leg room, and on one flight the entertainment system was out.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks. It's good to know British gets so many votes but that there are other nice airlines as well.

I don't suppose anyone's flown Lot lately? (I haven't in over 10 years. All I remember is it was a plane, I got on it, the flight was long, and once I went as an unaccompanied minor...)

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I have never had a problem and always had excellent service with Virgin Atlantic. Since you indicate that they are on the lower end of prices, I'd be tempted to go with them, myself.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had a decent experience with BA. And I had a great experience with Air France. The seat felt pretty roomy. The flight attendants are extremely attentive. I started feeling like a kindergartner after a while (in a good way), the way they kept pushing snacks and meals and stuff on me. Also, they left an unattended box of Haagen Daaz ice cream bars in the galley and encouraged everybody to come get one. NOM! My partner has flown Virgin Atlantic like a zillion times and she really loves them, so I'm sure she would vote for them :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Will volunteer to ride along in your hand carried luggage. Sigh.

Carry on.......

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BA is good and I've had good experiences with Lufthansa. Very efficient. The people at BA have always been super nice.

My scariest flight was Olympia (Air Greece ??) It's been a few years, but the experience still makes me shudder.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, more good info. Thanks everyone.

And Wendy, if you can fit under the seat I'm sure you can come :) But you have to carry yourself through the terminal.