What do you classify as romance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
spaces.msn.com
I wrote a short story this afternoon but im not sure what you would classify it as. Where do you draw the line between romance and erotica?

Any ones opinion on this would be a great help.
Cheers,
Evan

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Romance usualy focuses on developing a monogamous relationship with lots of conflict and a happy ending.
As far as erotica and romance, well
erotica~ lots of explict sex (doesn't always have to be monogamous, doesn't have to do with emotion)
romance~ the sex isn't so explicit or as often as in erotica, but has to have emotion and commitment.
Then there's erotic romance, which is all the explicit sex with emotions and monogamy, and sensual romance, which also has the steamy scenes and lots of them, but still focuses a lot on the relastionship and conflict. The lines are blurred a bit, so take your best guess.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
storygirl said:
Then there's erotic romance, which is all the explicit sex with emotions and monogamy, and sensual romance, which also has the steamy scenes and lots of them, but still focuses a lot on the relastionship and conflict. The lines are blurred a bit, so take your best guess.

Harlequin's Blaze line comes to mind when I think of erotic romance. Lots of explicits, but still deals with love and all the crazy things leading up to it.

writerjenn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlynn.ca
And there is quite a difference between erotica and erotic romance. Erotica focuses more on the act. Erotic romance is a romance novel, but the love scenes are much more explicit.

Last edited:

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Sonarbabe said:
Harlequin's Blaze line comes to mind when I think of erotic romance. Lots of explicits, but still deals with love and all the crazy things leading up to it.

LOL - I don't think of Blaze as erotic romance. I think they're pretty tame by comparison, actually. Yes, they're hot, hotter than most of the other category romances, but still...not quite erotic romance by my scale. <G> I think Kensington's Brava is a bit more toward erotic romance/erotica, and I know that both companies are launching new erotic lines. HQ's is called Spice. Not sure about Kensington's.

Susan G.

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
*sheepish grin* Blaze is the closest to erotic romance that I've read. I'm used to the sweeter romances. Though, I think I'll be looking into the Brava line, just to see what I'm missing. ;) I'm also curious to see the new Spice line. I really like the books HQ puts out, so we'll have to see what they come up with.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Sonarbabe said:
*sheepish grin* Blaze is the closest to erotic romance that I've read. I'm used to the sweeter romances. Though, I think I'll be looking into the Brava line, just to see what I'm missing. ;) I'm also curious to see the new Spice line. I really like the books HQ puts out, so we'll have to see what they come up with.

Have you read any of Dara Joy's stuff? She's pretty dang hot, too. She wrote one...Ritual of Proof, I think it was called...that totally turned the gender roles upside down, and in this particular culture (I think it's a futuristic) it's the male who has to be sexual pure when given in marriage, and the male that experiences pain during his first "experience." LOL. I got a kick out of it just for that.

I don't want a steady diet of that sort of thing, but every once in a while... :)

Susan G.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Two words: Emma Holly. Her work makes me blush at times!

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Susan Gable said:
in this particular culture (I think it's a futuristic) it's the male who has to be sexual pure when given in marriage, and the male that experiences pain during his first "experience." LOL. I got a kick out of it just for that.

Susan G.

:roll: I would too! No, I haven't read any of her work, but I think I will just so I can see that.

Status
Not open for further replies.