PDA

View Full Version : For those into: mythology, anthropology, etymology, fantasy stuffs etc.

Roly
05-11-2010, 11:54 PM
In my story, anything made by the gods, ie - weapons, objects, art, ANYTHING - is called specifically one thing. But I HATE the name I have for them now. It sounds cheesy (and thus I won't tell you what it is lol). I wanna change it ;__;

So I was wondering, for those of you familiar with mythology or...anthropology or etymology or whatever or even if you've just read a shit load of fantasy...can you give me some ideas on what to call them? I hope I'm not being too vague. I just need to good name to call that which is made by the gods. I've searched and come up with nothing :(

Er thanks. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place!

OneWriter
05-12-2010, 12:02 AM
You mean something that would mean "creations"?

I guess I don't understand if you are looking for a neologism or something that's already out there...

If you want to make up a new word, you could use Latin or Ancient Greek:

creatio is Latin for creation; or, you could combine Greek words like "theo" (god) and "genesis" (creation)...
not sure if that helps....

thothguard51
05-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Divine Gifts...?

Chasing the Horizon
05-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Are you looking for a single term for special magical objects which have been made by the Gods and given to people?

In fantasy usually any object made by the Gods and endowed with magical powers has its own special name, since such things are really rare. Alternatively, in religion, it's often believed that everything was originally made by the Gods, so there isn't any special term.

I guess I don't quite understand the question.

Kitty Pryde
05-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Heavensent
Godgiven
Godgifted
Godforged
Sacred
Fromabove
Relic

pilot27407
05-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Actually, Homer refers to the “wills of Gods” on a few occasions (when Aphrodite gets into battle, to save Paris, and is wounded by mortals, she “wills” a shield to cover herself, and later “wills” Paris away before he can get killed.… most often he’s specific and just calls them what they are. I’m trying hard but the only other reference I can think of is out of Ramayana, when Rama’s (Vishnu) wife, Sita, is captured by an evel God and he “blinks” a weapon in his hand (it was a bow, if I recall).
One more thing, in Chinese mythology, Bangu (the first God) is born from the egg of Yin and Yang and sets out to “create” the world but not men, these are the job of Nugua who “dreams” the mix of earth (Bangu’s flesh) and rain (Bangu’s sweat).
Actually, you could make up any name you want, just make sure the reader understands what you’re talking about.

Roly
05-12-2010, 12:57 AM
Single term or no, different language or no.

Thanks the suggestions are really good so far! Please keep em coming :D

Medievalist
05-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Tekne
Artifact

I prefer Tekne; it's related to technology, text, textile, in terms of etymology. The earliest use of the *tek I.E. root is for things that are woven, and hence made. See the various etymologies (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/text), and watch for references to the I.E. *tek, and *teks

The root of the words for poets, poetry, was used for things that were made or created.

Cyia
05-12-2010, 01:15 AM
The Decreed.
Endowments
Bequeaths

OneWriter
05-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Tekne

Tekne has a Greek etymology (τέχνη) and it means "skills" or "craft": if you blend it with "theos" you get theotekne (or similar, you can make up whatever you want at this point) which can be translated as "skills of god" or "god-craft".

Miguelito
05-12-2010, 02:15 AM
Relics.

dirtsider
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Divine weapons/gifts