What could have been...

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
During the weekend, I finally got some Batman: The Animated Series DVDs and while these ones seem not to be much (the episodes and one or two commentaries per disk) I was rather happy to have in my posession what I think is one of the finest animated shows ever made.

What made me think though, is that during the audio commentary of the episode Harlequinade, it was revealed that there were talks to give Harley Quinn her own spin-off cartoons with the producers, but it was thought that Harley wasn't strong enough as a character for her to sustain, so they wanted to give her a family of people quirkier than her and all that dance...

Though, a Harley Quinn-only cartoon, can you imagine? It really makes you think of all the posibilities and directions that could have taken...

Now I think on all the posibilities that never got made past some ideas; like the musical drama a la Prince of Egypt composed by Sting that ended up becoming The Emperor's New Groove... tell me, what other ideas thing you regret never materializing?

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I always wanted there to be a Good Omens movie. More specifically, a really great Good Omens movie that was really faithful to the book, not a Hollywood-ized version in which Anathema wears a mini-skirt and tube top and Adam is a Disney-TV-style smarmy precocious annoyotron. In my version of the Good Omens movie, Alan Cumming and Alan Rickman play Aziraphael and Crowley. Could use David Tennant in a pinch, I suppose. Back in the real world, a Good Omens movie was stuck in development hell for ages and I don't think it'll ever happen.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Pratchett once said that some executives where interested to do Mort, back in the 80's (which for me would have been awesome, who doesn't love 80's fantasy movies?) but they wanted one crucial difference: They didn't wanted to have DEATH has a character, since they thought it was too cold and would scare off children.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
What made me think though, is that during the audio commentary of the episode Harlequinade, it was revealed that there were talks to give Harley Quinn her own spin-off cartoons with the producers, but it was thought that Harley wasn't strong enough as a character for her to sustain, so they wanted to give her a family of people quirkier than her and all that dance...

I really like Harley, but I think she is too much an extension of the Joker. On the cartoon, she is sort of a clueless and loopy bimbo who thinks that the Joker is really a good person. He's just misunderstood. I think this is really interesting, because as bad as he is, The Joker is very charismatic. But Harley is way too codependent on that show, and she doesn't have enough of her own personality. They make it seem like he was able to manipulate her because she's not too bright. And yet she was a doctor at an asylum for the most dangerous psychopaths in the city?

In the comic, she's a psychopath, like a female version of the Joker. Again, an extension of him, but in a different way. I would love to see what she would be like in The Dark Knight universe.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There was a movie called They that came out in '02 (aka "Wes Craven Presents: They" a non-Wes Craven film) that was pretty much a lame, forgettable horror movie through and through. But the script for that film, completely unrecognizable from what actually made it to the big screen, is one of the creepier stories I've ever had the pleasure of reading. If you changed the title and filmed that script you'd have no idea the movies were in any way related. Unfortunately, because the studio owns the script, it will never be made and that's a damn shame. What could have been, indeed...