Good Beer/Bad Beer (no-alcohol version)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's quite a mouth-watering discussion on beer already. But for those of us who love the taste of beer and don't partake of alcohol: which do you rate, and which are best avoided? It's still not that common here, but recent experiences in the US and Europe indicate that it's a lot easier to find booze-free* beer than it used to be.

Probably my favorite buzz-free beer is Erdinger, but I can seldom find it.

I'll drink O'Doul's if I'm parched and there's no turpentine on tap.

----

*: 0.5% or less ABV

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh... I enjoyed it as well.

I've also enjoyed Buckler and Clausthaler, among others -- Warsteiner, I find, is all right, but has Heineken Syndrome; even in a bottle, it tastes like the inside of a can.

But most places aren't willing to carry what my wife calls "play beer", no matter how well it sells. A place where I used to buy it said they'd get five cases at a time, and they'd sell it all before the day was out. And yet they stopped carrying it because... it took up too much space? I tried to explain the fallacy here, even offered to commit to purchasing a certain amount every month (if I never have to drink cola again, I'll be very, very happy), but sometimes there's just no reasoning with a capital-S Store capital-M Manager.

Interestingly, I was told that it's not just, er, retired drinkers like me who drink it; it's also very popular with pregnant women, who like a beer but have another very good reason not to drink alcohol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Interestingly, I was told that it's not just, er, retired drinkers like me who drink it; it's also very popular with pregnant women, who like a beer but have another very good reason not to drink alcohol.

You know, were I you, I'd investigate making my own. You can get hops locally, or grow them, and it's much easier to brew low alcohol beer than big beers.

And you've got ready access to quality yeast there, from winemaking--including champagne yeast, which is amazing in terms of ciders and fruit-based beers.

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer Busch, then Old Milwaukee, with Coors a close third. I enjoyed the real versions of the European beers when I lived there, but the non-alcohol offerings they produce for the American market don't hack it.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
okay, as much as I LOVE beer, I have spent two pregnancies trying different non-alcoholic versions so, I feel somewhat expert in this area as well...and, I hate to say it, but I prefer Busch N/A over many of the others including Odouls and Sharps and the Coors version

St. Pauli Girl's is not that bad and it comes in a dark/amber non alcoholic too...anyway, my two cents worth :)