PDA

View Full Version : I have no clue what I'm doing

Jennasis
05-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Truly.

I'm finished writing. Pens down. Step away from the computer. I've written, canned the whole thing, rewrittten, gnashed my teeth, revised, written more, edited, cut entire characters, edited some more, subbed to betas, edited some more...walked away from the project for months...then came back and edited front to back again...several times.

I would really like to try getting an agent, but I have zero idea how to begin. I don't know how to go about choosing who to query. I don't know what agents would even be interested in what I wrote. I suppose I would call it "Urban Fantasy". It's essentially about superheroes.

So what do I do now? How do I start figuring out where to send my MS from here?

Cella
05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Please, your post is making me nervous! :Hug2:

You can get an edition of Writer's Market at a bookstore or join them online. There are SO many agents out there. Now, please keep in mind that I know nothing about querying, but have to calm myself down about stuff on a regular basis.

Take a deep breath, (also checkout duotrope.com, I think it is) and start small. You don't have to query millions at once.

Hang in there!
:):)

Cella

suki
05-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Truly.

I'm finished writing. Pens down. Step away from the computer. I've written, canned the whole thing, rewrittten, gnashed my teeth, revised, written more, edited, cut entire characters, edited some more, subbed to betas, edited some more...walked away from the project for months...then came back and edited front to back again...several times.

I would really like to try getting an agent, but I have zero idea how to begin. I don't know how to go about choosing who to query. I don't know what agents would even be interested in what I wrote. I suppose I would call it "Urban Fantasy". It's essentially about superheroes.

So what do I do now? How do I start figuring out where to send my MS from here?

First, if those betas weren't other writers more experienced than you, find some more/more experienced beta readers. (check out the Beta Reader's Forum or you can post the work in very small incriments (say, 1500 words at a time?) in the appropriate forum in Share Your Work - password vista). Or, if you are confident in your betas' skills/knowledge, go to the next step. :)

Second, start working on a query and synopsis (see Query letter Hell in Share Your Work).

Then, you can search for agents who rep your genre on Agentquery.com and querytracker.com, then check them out further in the Beware & Background Checks forum and by googling the agent (where you might find interviews, twitter and blog posts, etc.).

Then update and prioritize your query list while revising the manuscript following beta reader comments (if you get more) and while you work on the query and synopsis in QLH.

Good luck.

~suki

Jennasis
05-10-2010, 11:20 PM
writer's market...*scribbling furiously***. Got it. Does the book include info about what genre specific agents are all about? I'd hate to spend time trying to woo someone who works with bodice rippers or horror only.

suki
05-10-2010, 11:22 PM
writer's market...*scribbling furiously***. Got it. Does the book include info about what genre specific agents are all about? I'd hate to spend time trying to woo someone who works with bodice rippers or horror only.

In both agentquery.com and querytracker.com you can search for agents by genres they represent, and on one of them (can't remember which) you can actually look up authors to see who represents them. So, you could look up authors who write books similar to your manuscript and find out who the agent was.

~suki

Jennasis
05-10-2010, 11:25 PM
First, if those betas weren't other writers more experienced than you, find some more/more experienced beta readers. (check out the Beta Reader's Forum or you can post the work in very small incriments (say, 1500 words at a time?) in the appropriate forum in Share Your Work - password vista). Or, if you are confident in your betas' skills/knowledge, go to the next step. :)

Second, start working on a query and synopsis (see Query letter Hell in Share Your Work).

Then, you can search for agents who rep your genre on Agentquery.com and querytracker.com, then check them out further in the Beware & Background Checks forum and by googling the agent (where you might find interviews, twitter and blog posts, etc.).

Then update and prioritize your query list while revising the manuscript following beta reader comments (if you get more) and while you work on the query and synopsis in QLH.

Good luck.

~suki

Ahhh..nicely broken down. I think I can tackle that list a few steps at a time. I have delusions about my work. I just figure after all the hard work I'd put in to create the darn thing, I should at least have the won tons to try to put it out there.

I still plan to find a few more literary/seasoned betas to tackle it before jumping off the bridge.

ChaosTitan
05-10-2010, 11:30 PM

I've never seen an agentquery or querytracker listing that says "bodice rippers."

Jennasis
05-10-2010, 11:32 PM
I've never seen an agentquery or querytracker listing that says "bodice rippers."

Thank goodness for that!

CheyElizabeth
05-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Yes, agents list what books they're interested in, so you'll be able to find one who reps what you write.

You can do it!! Whatever you do, don't give up. You've worked too hard.

And once you start querying, I'll give you five - no TEN Schrute bucks! ;)

Danthia
05-10-2010, 11:44 PM
I did a couple of blog posts with lots of information. Links to places to find agents and research them, tips on what steps to do when, etc.

Finding an Agent (http://storyflip.blogspot.com/2009/10/hunt-is-on.html)
You've Written a Novel. Now What? (http://storyflip.blogspot.com/2009/04/youve-written-novel-now-what.html)

And since you'll likely need them...

Writing a Query Letter (http://storyflip.blogspot.com/2009/08/query-week-step-one-what-heck-do-i-say.html) (this is a week long series)
Writing a Synopsis (http://storyflip.blogspot.com/2009/04/sum-of-parts.html)

This should give you a pretty good set of tools to start submitting.

Good luck!

DeleyanLee
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
The other option is to take a look at the books you've read that's like yours. Look in the "Thanks to" section. Most authors list their agent. Odds are, if they repped that, they might be interested in something similar.

I've always found that to be an easier reference than the Writer's Market, which can be a little daunting.

Jennasis
05-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Yes, agents list what books they're interested in, so you'll be able to find one who reps what you write.

You can do it!! Whatever you do, don't give up. You've worked too hard.

And once you start querying, I'll give you five - no TEN Schrute bucks! ;)

For reals? YAY!

waylander
05-11-2010, 12:52 AM
You need the Queryshark (queryshark.blogspot.com)

Albannach
05-12-2010, 06:11 AM
Let me mention again one website that has already been mentioned. I found querytracker.net to be the most helpful of any site or source out there, especially since every agent page contains links to the agent website and other essential sources.

It is a great source of information.

Miss Plum
05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
The sources and sites are piling in, but I want to add another: Publishers Marketplace (publishersmarketplace.com (http://www.publishersmarketplace.com)). Lists all the current publishing deals -- which agent sold which property by which writer to which editor at which publisher for how much money (sometimes).

I used it to find agents who have sold my type of project in the last few years.

Kitty27
05-12-2010, 03:12 PM
You've found the right place. I didnt know anything!

Thank Gawd for this site. Without the kind folks here,I'd have probably sent my MS directly to agents!

kaitie
05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm writing a superhero book! *Hi five's the other awesome chick/dude with a superhero book*

I'm in denial over it being an urban fantasy, though. ;) Agreeing with Kitty, you came to the right place. Good luck!

Toothpaste
05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
I too have some blogs on what to do:

So You Want To Get Published - Getting An Agent (http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com/2008/08/so-you-want-to-get-published-getting.html)
So You Want To Get Published - From Agent to Publisher (http://ididntchoosethis.blogspot.com/2008/08/so-you-want-to-get-published-from-agent.html)