PDA

View Full Version : I can't decide

LOG
05-10-2010, 06:07 AM
Alright, I am going to to get one of these, and only one (for the moment).

Dragon Age: Origins Awakening: $40
Warhammer 40K The Complete Bundle: $55
Oblivion: Deluxe GOTY: $35

I'm leery of getting either DA or TES because DAOA is basically DAO1.5 from what I hear.
And I've already played Oblivion very extensively.
I've never played a 40K game. Ever. In any form.

ATM I'm leaning towards TES, mainly because it's the cheapest, I know it has play value from personal experience, and there's the mod community.

Fulk
05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Hmmm, that's a really tough choice. I have played WH40K: Dawn of War a few times, though I never played it enough to really indulge myself and really decide whether I liked it or not. I am a fan of RTS games (Warcraft, Starcraft, Command & Conquer, etc), and it seems like a solid game in the genre.

I really enjoyed both Dragon Age and Oblivion, though my PC is aging and doesn't run either particularly well, so I couldn't enjoy the visual joy that some people have while playing. However, as you pointed out, Oblivion has a really solid modding community.

...Oh, I just now noticed you were talking of picking up Awakening, not the original DAO. I haven't played Awakening myself, but my personal opinion would be to wait until Awakening goes on sale. I had been anticipating the expansion, but have held off on getting it for the same reasons.

I guess my vote goes to Oblivion or Warhammer.

Irysangel
05-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Awakenings is very good, story-line wise, but also extremely buggy. I think I got 40 hours of regular gameplay out of DAO, and about 12 out of Awakenings.

No romance storyline at all, either, which kind of made me gnash my teeth.

whistlelock
05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I would wait on Dragon age. It's short- good, but short.

go for the warhammer series. play something new.

defcon6000
05-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Awakenings is very good, story-line wise, but also extremely buggy. I think I got 40 hours of regular gameplay out of DAO, and about 12 out of Awakenings.
$40 for a 12 hour game? Ouch!

What is that? A little more than $3 an hour?

Irysangel
05-11-2010, 06:46 PM
$40 for a 12 hour game? Ouch!

What is that? A little more than $3 an hour?

Yeah, but it's a good game so still worth it in my eyes. I've paid more for a lot less game (coughBrutalLegendcoughcough). At the end of the game, I was happy with DAO:A overall, so I considered it $40 well spent. :)

LeloPaul
05-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Do you prefer Fantasy games or Sci-fi? Depending on which genre you feel like playing, that could narrow down your choices.

I love playing through Oblivion, but if you've already played through it extensively, I'd try something new.
DAOA should be falling in price pretty soon. I don't really think it is worth buying at the current price. I had a lot of fun with Origins though...pretty good replay value too.

I'd give Warhammer 40K a go. You could even try out a demo to make sure you like it.

Have fun! ;)

CACTUSWENDY
05-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Wow. That is $$$.

I play online RPGs and pay for three months at a time for that kind of money. Could play 24/7 if I choose to.

That would be way out of my league. Good luck.

JimmyB27
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Isn't the Warhammer game an RTS? So quite a different puppy to the others.
I haven't been able to get into Oblivion, I think in part because I have Fallout 3, which is kind of similair but with guns!

dclary
05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Zoombie has a great review of the Warhammer 40K games here somewhere.

It's a fun game, but at the end of the day, almost every mission can be beat by outlasting the enemys' original AI programming, and then massing troops through superior resource-point collection.