PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Betas for Contemporary Dark Fantasy

Witch_turtle
05-09-2010, 11:43 PM
So here I am, finishing up the third draft of my WIP. It's polished and edited, but I need some fresh eyes. Since I'm getting much more serious about my writing now, for the first time ever I'm seeking beta readers who are actually writers, not just friends and family :)

I've had trouble naming this novel but for the time being I'm tentatively calling it GREYLING. It is about 85K words. Skelon is kidnapped from his dystopian city by a dying sorceress queen, who makes him heir to her nightmare kingdom. But he has been ripped from his beloved twin. He must make the heartbreaking choice between two hellish worlds and two powerful obsessions, and then fight for that choice. There is a lot of emotional conflict in the story as well as external confrontation. My style is vivid and descriptive, stuffed full of subtle foreshadowing, oftentimes tragic, with little bits of dark humour.

Mostly what I'm looking for is feedback on flow and pacing, character motivation, continuity (I tend to have problems with this specifically), and just the general level of interest. My spelling and grammar are both excellent (But I will warn you, I am Canadian, and therefore will use words like "pyjamas" and "colour" :D).

I think a swap would be best, starting with the first couple of chapters and then seeing how things go. I've never beta'd before, but I have been writing for 10 years and reading for 20. I've spent time in SYW, which I really enjoy.

PM me if you are interested!

JayD
05-10-2010, 01:16 AM
Well, colo(u)r me interested. I'd love to look at the first few chapters and see how things go. I don't have anything ready for beta atm, so it would be something of a one-sided swap, if thats OK with you. I'll PM you with some more info.

JayD