What is the worst book cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about this thread. Posting about another authors book cover and how bad it is to me is in poor taste.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Golfer on Hallowe'en dressed at the MC from A Clockwork Orange after triple-bogeying the eighteenth and taking it out on his caddy?

Someow I don't think that's the plot of the book. :)

And my offering, from the great blog, Judge a Book by its Cover:

eat+me.jpg

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about this thread. Posting about another authors book cover and how bad it is to me is in poor taste.

It usually would be, Brainstorm. But the situation here is different. The author hates the cover so much that he tried to terminate his contract with the publisher. That's when he was hit with an $800 kill fee. He has now reissued his book independently.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
It usually would be, Brainstorm. But the situation here is different. The author hates the cover so much that he tried to terminate his contract with the publisher. That's when he was hit with an $800 kill fee. He has now reissued his book independently.

Of which you have repeated over and over over the the bewares section and now you bring it over here. Like what is the point of this? We get it.

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Golfer on Hallowe'en dressed at the MC from A Clockwork Orange after triple-bogeying the eighteenth and taking it out on his caddy?

Someow I don't think that's the plot of the book. :)

You're right.;) This is the plot: In this supernatural thriller, three aimless souls collide in a tempest of lust, violence and vice in Washington, DC, where the elitist country clubs they call their home can be as cutthroat as the business of staying popular. As their triangle grows tighter, they each battle to hold on to their sanity, one fleeing to Africa, the other two signing up for a cruise to Mexico. But they cannot evade their fate. And as they face down doubles and triples of themselves stalking them wherever they run, they will learn that the demons that haunt them will accept only blood for their final sacrifice."

http://www.damnationbooks.com/people.php?author=71

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Of which you have repeated over and over over the the bewares section and now you bring it over here. Like what is the point of this? We get it.

This. This this this. Are you paying attention, yet? You might be on a mission about this publisher, but the discussion (which you keep sidetracking) belongs in BR&BC. Bringing it out to a wider audience isn't necessary just because the publiisher has got your knickers in a twist.

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oh good grief. You want bad? Here's a plethora of bad covers to choose from (not to mention some ab-fab snark to go with them):

http://www.judgeabook.blogspot.com/

ETA: Jinx, callalily61! You owe me a Coke! :D

You're right. Some of those are so awful they're comical. My pic was Pride and Prejudice. It's really pretty hilarious, although I'm sure that wasn't the intent. :D

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
If the authors in question are so outraged with Kim and how they've been treated, then THEY can do something about it.

Last edited:

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This. This this this. Are you paying attention, yet? You might be on a mission about this publisher, but the discussion (which you keep sidetracking) belongs in BR&BC. Bringing it out to a wider audience isn't necessary just because the publiisher has got your knickers in a twist.

That wasn't the intention, Terie. I thought we could have some fun with truly awful book covers. That's how the thread started out. But then some explanation became necessary, vis a vis, about the ethics of posting another author's cover like this. I still think it's a fun idea, if it stays on track -- just the book covers. And here are some more pretty bad ones:

http://punkrockpenguin.net/waste/amuse/badcovers/

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
After reading that, I don't think the cover has much to do with the plot (I didn't follow the B&BC discussion). However, assuming the publisher has good distribution and a good sales track record, they may know what will click with the target audience.

My publisher asked me for input on what I think might look good on the cover, but it was just that--input. I saw my cover last week and I :heart: it. But even if I was 'meh' about it, I'd take into account that they know the market.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
That wasn't the intention, Terie. I thought we could have some fun with truly awful book covers. That's how the thread started out. But then some explanation became necessary, vis a vis, about the ethics of posting another author's cover like this. I still think it's a fun idea, if it stays on track -- just the book covers.

How would feel with your cover being posted here? Especially if you already felt bad anyway about the way it looked to start with?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
That wasn't the intention, Terie. I thought we could have some fun with truly awful book covers.

For future reference, then, next time, don't post someone else's cover. You could just as easily have posed the question without harping on something you've been harping on elsewhere. After all, while the cover admittedly has nothing to do with the story, it's not a bad cover in and of itself. It's a slapped-on clip art, just like the vast majority of PublishAmerica covers.

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
For future reference, then, next time, don't post someone else's cover. You could just as easily have posed the question without harping on something you've been harping on elsewhere. After all, while the cover admittedly has nothing to do with the story, it's not a bad cover in and of itself. It's a slapped-on clip art, just like the vast majority of PublishAmerica covers.

Exactly.

J.Henry

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
How would feel with your cover being posted here? Especially if you already felt bad anyway about the way it looked to start with?

Anyone that thin skinned is maybe in the wrong business. What would an author like that do if he got a bad review?

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Kensington - I think if you put your mind to it, you could figure out a way to shoehorn your crusade into every forum here by the end of the day!

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone that thin skinned is maybe in the wrong business. What would an author like that do if he got a bad review?

And that first cover is another member's cover. It's already been an issue with them enough to make them try and break their contract. It doesn't need to be reposted in another thread to be ridiculed.
As for reviews, an author writes the book to start with, and then it's on them. A cover is often beyond their control!

Last edited:

J.Henry

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This one, that's causing all the furore would be hard to beat. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155548&page=6

But do you have another candidate for top spot that's even worse?

http://damnationbooks.com/book.php?isbn=9781615720781

/QUOTE]

No wonder this is so bad. The artist is actually a tattooist.

http://www.checkoutmyink.com/profile/matttruiano1#comment-225134

Here are his other covers:
http://www.damnationbooks.com/people.php?artist=25

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.