PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some French translation assistance

dgrintalis
05-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I have a new story that has a handful of lines in French, and while I relied on Google translations for the rough draft, I'd like to make these lines accurate with respect to the feminine/masculine and formal/informal. Would anyone be willing to give me the proper translation? I've included the lines below (plus the translations given by Google):

Title:
The Garden of Bitter Tears - Le Jardin de Larmes Amères

The MC is asking/answering a question about his garden:
Could anything else be as beautiful? - Rien d'autre pourrait être si belle.
No, never - Non, jamais.

The MC is addressing his flowers:
My sweet - Ma douce
My loves - Mes amours
My beautiful children - mes beaux enfants

His 'prized' plant:
Foxglove - digitale pourprée

The MC is addressing a young woman:
My dear, it is time. - Ma chère, il est temps.
You are perfect. - Vous êtes la perfection.

Thank you so very much!
Damien

PeterL
05-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Google did a remarkably good job. There are a couple that someone might put another way, but all of them work, but I'm not sure about foxglove, and I'm not going to look it up.

cbenoi1
05-09-2010, 12:57 AM
The Garden of Bitter Tears - Le Jardin des Larmes Amères
Could anything else be as beautiful? - Rien d'autre pourrait être si belle beau.
You are perfect. - Vous êtes la perfection même / Vous êtes parfait(e).

-cb

dgrintalis
05-09-2010, 04:10 AM
Thank you very much, Peter and Cbenoi1. I truly appreciate your assistance!

Fran
05-09-2010, 04:41 AM
If he's addressing more than one flower it would be mes douces, I think. Ma douce is the singular. :)

dgrintalis
05-09-2010, 05:00 AM
Thank you very much for pointing that out, Fran.

backslashbaby
05-09-2010, 05:26 AM
For 'ma chere,' you might consider between that and 'ma cherie' (with the other accent mark). Chere is less what you'd say to someone you love, in my understanding. The lovey-dovey version is 'cherie' ;) More like darling rather than dear.

ETA: similarly, if he's in love or informal/familiar with the woman, consider using the tu form instead of vous. If he'd be more formal or doesn't know her well, vous is great.