View Full Version : Agent Recommended Revisions and the Querying process

Elizabeth Holloway
05-08-2010, 11:58 AM
So, I have had three really great agents offer revision recommendations for the manuscript I'm currently pushing querying. One of them invited me to requery her with the revisions (Woo!) and I've already started tearing the puppy apart.

My problem is, I'm still getting requests for the full manuscript from other agents I've queried. Should I respond to the requests saying that I am in the middle of some agent recommended revisions and ask if I can send it when I'm finished? I don't want to give the impression that I was querying an unpolished project because, in my mind at the time, I wasn't. Or, should I send the old ms (which I now realize could be SOOO much better)? Or should I just keep quiet and send them the manuscript when I'm finished the revisions (which may take a while)?

Any thoughts would be great! Thanks!

05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh dude, I'm doing the same thing. I've been working on major revisions and still getting requests. My thinking is mostly based on how long I think it's going to take to get through. If I can manage it in a few days, I'll not say anything and just wait a few days to send. Do you expect this to take a really long time to finish?

05-08-2010, 04:16 PM
If you ultimately feel those revisions will make the book better, telling requesting agents the deal and waiting until you're done is probably a good idea. If agents took the time to offer feedback, you likely having something there and you want to give it the best chance you can. I think agents would rather see the best book you can offer them than one you know you're still working on.

Downside, if they're excited about the project now, they may or may not be in X months it takes you to finish the revisions.

Probably can't hurt to explain the situation and ask which they'd prefer to see.

05-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I second Danthia. This happened to me in that an agent re-requested an ms that was basically lost, and by the time they re-requested it I was knee deep in really intense revisions. I nicely explained the situation and asked if they would prefer to see it now "as was", or if they'd like to see it when fully revised. They said "send it when it's done". And six months later I did (replying to that email that said "send when done" so they'd remember the situation). I figured they wouldn't bite because it had been too long...but they ended up offering.

I think the key is just being honest and polite and professional and giving them the option. I've seen this stuff enough on these boards to know it must happen quite frequently...so I doubt they'll be horrified and pissed or anything.

Good luck!

05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
This is a tough one, and although I agree with Danthia, there's a key question you have to ask yourself, and answer as objectively as you can. That is, are you in 100% agreement with the revisions suggested by the agent or are you 50/50 or less and only doing same because some agent-any agent at this point-requested same?

Elizabeth Holloway
05-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Thanks, guys!

I think some of the suggestions for revisions were great suggestions. Once I sat down and really thought about what was said and how I could implement the changes, it occurred to me how much the book would improve with those changes.

But the changes are significant, and I'm thinking I have about two weeks (if I really push myself, but probably longer) of hard work ahead of me. Then, I'd like to get the new ms out to some brand new betas who haven't read a previous version, to make sure my revisions haven't caused confusion. All in all, I'm *hoping* to be ready to resubmit the new ms in a month. That's probably too long to just wait and send.

I think I'll just explain the situation and ask them if they would like to wait for the revised ms.

Thanks again, everyone!