So what are your colours?

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
My husband gave me money to go clothes shopping a little while ago (I know, yay!) and as I was putting them away, something strange occured to me.

Everything I bought was blue, black or gray.

In fact, with the exception of a few pieces my mother bought me, everything I own is blue, black or gray. I have a brown singlet and a brown dress, but that's about as daring as I get.

How sad is that? Am I alone in this?

Is there anyone else here with an unconciously limited palette? Or do you have a wardrobe like a rainbow?

Or any psych experts, dying to tell me this means I'm just a neurotic shut-in?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How sad is that? Am I alone in this?

It's - only a bit sad. Keep all the receipts, drink a lot of vodka and take it all back to the shops and exchange it for green and mulberry and a lighter grey... And ditch the brown singlet - it just isn't you.... ;)

No, but seriously if you love it, it's fine...

Paper & Pencil

I miss the pink elephant...
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have that problem a lot. After getting some internal issues sorted out I've rediscovered my sometime like of purple (shirts only), and I have a few colors that are light but I wanted the design; everything else I like is all blacks, grays, and reds, so you're not alone.

...And black goes with everything :D

DrZoidberg

aka TomOfSweden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomknox.se
Well, it's got to do with skin tone and hair colour. My wardrobe also has a limited... maybe not colours but types of strength in colour. I work well in certain types of greens and browns.

My wife's also a make-up artist, so if I screw up, she lets me know. I treat it like I treat my writing. Work on it until its good enough to show the world.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I'll wear black until there is a darker colour. I have had bright orange hair and this limits the colours I can wear. Growing it out now - but I'll still wear black. I do have some turquoise and green tops - but I wear them under black cardis.

Dr.Gonzo

Wonderfully Irreverent
Registered
Reaction score
Green, purple, and anything bright. I'm a little ray of sunshine on this clouded rock.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or any psych experts, dying to tell me this means I'm just a neurotic shut-in?

If your psych expert show up, maybe he can explain to me why I insist on wearing navy blue scrubs even though the rest of my department wears sea foam green/hospital issue and why I also must have navy socks and navy shoes but the longsleeved shirts I wear underneath have to be bright greens and pinks and purples. I'm sure there is some underlying inner vs. outer issue there.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Kaylea, I would prefer the navy blue scrubs also. Your longsleeved shirt is your dash of color against a suitable background. Classy.

Sweetleaf, most of the clothes I wear every day are either black, dark green, or dark blue. I do have a yellow, a couple brown, a cream, a purple, and a white t-shirt (shirt.woot.com I am addicted. lol!) But mostly I wear the dark blue or black ones. The lighter ones get dirty too easily and I live on a farm so that has to do with some of my choices. You have children. I wonder how much of your color choices are due to knowing anything lighter will wind up showing little fingerprints two seconds after you put it on.

Since you have noticed this now, try putting a little bit of color on your dark palette, the way Kaylea does. Scarves, pins, shirts... these things are easy to change out. It is a good way to introduce more intense colors into your life without overwhelming yourself. You will find soon enough if you like it. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Shakesbear. I wear a lot of black, and I won't buy anything that won't go with black accessories. I do use other colors with black on occasion, usually blue or periwinkle, in shades which go with black just fine. The result is a wardrobe that's about as mix-and-match as is possible.

Maryn, disguised as a bruise

PoppysInARow

Book Reviewer y'all
Registered
Reaction score
I used to always buy black. Black everything. It was kind of limiting, so I've been making an effort for the last year to buy coloured clothing. I like bright clothes, I just never buy them.

Midnight Star

We are once in a lifetime.
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite color is black, and that's the color I wear most often. Almost all of my clothes are mostly black or white. I'm not a color person.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm brown, slightly darker where the sun doesn't reach.

Or so I've been told.

Last edited:

megoblocks

Banned
Reaction score
First there came the color gold,
To show the world that we are bold.
Then there came the color red,
To show the world the blood we shed.
Then there came the color green,
To show the world that we are mean.
Then there came the color blue,
To show the world that we are true.

S.J.

Addict? I can quit whenever I want!
Registered
Reaction score
I wear grey or black, with at least SOMETHING colourful - usually a scarf, because, y'know, EVERY teenager should look like a dippy English teacher. :e2paperba

Oh, and black leggings. I seriously wear them every day and am SO glad they're in fashion... so easy to put on!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
My wardrobe is a rainbow ... of various shades of purple. So is my jewellery. And my accessories. It's become kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy now, because everybody gets me purple things. :tongue

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Turquoise, lilac, purple, and every possible shade of blue. I hate black, which is ubiquitous in this country, but I've had so many funerals recently that I've had to make a concerted effort to add black items to my wardrobe (winter and summer), which is rather depressing.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Favorite color is Red

I also love and wear a lot of Purple, Blue, and Green

Color makes me happy! :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I wear more than my fair share of black, but during the warmer months I veer towards colors, particularly bright ones. Rarely pink, however, and never green. I own a lot of sundresses, all in pretty colors, and a couple in white. Most of my t-shirts are white, too, for some reason.

Today, I wore a bright blue dress. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
My absolute favorite 'color' on me and to wear is grey (I'm auburn-haired). Especially if it's fuzzy for the winter. Ummmm.

But folks think it's dreary so I wear tons of colors. I like most all of them (to look at more than wear, tho), but I'm secretly wishing I could be grey and fuzzy all the time :D With tall boots, darnit.

Even my eyes are grey more than half the time (green other times).

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
No, I wear a lot of blue and black as well. Those colors look good on me. I've got some teals and turquoises in there, too. I do have a few warm-toned articles of clothing, but not many.

I can't wear light colors or very bright, vibrant colors -- my skin is really pale, to the point that you can actually see all the veins under the surface of my skin when I am unclothed. So really bright colors tend to make my complexion look splotchy. Dark colors for me, especially blues.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I love black, gray and white, but I like colours too. Like right now I have this khaki crochet sweater on with a gray tank and denim skirt. I have a couple skirts with colour in them (I like blues and reds), but pretty much everything I have is black, white or gray (save for my jeans).

So no, you're not alone. :D