Should I mention my blog in the query letter?

lcla28

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ibankergirl.blogspot.com
Hi everyone,

Just looking for your help on the query letter.

In the "about me" part, would you mention the blog you write? My blog is not big (yet) and I don't even know how many visitors I get, so I don't know how relevant this info may be for an agent. Oh, the blog is being told from the POV's of the main character of the novel.

Thanks

Last edited:

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
After glancing over your blog I wouldn't. Your query letter is to sell your novel. Of the four posts on your front page none of them talk about your writing. I don't think it would be a good idea.

I would mention a blog if you were writing a Non-fiction book. For example, if I wrote a book about some aspect of Florida History I could mention my Florida History since it too is about Florida History and they could read it to show that I do know what I'm talking about.

Although if you did get an agent definitely use your blog to promote your work.

I have nothing published so take my advice for what it is from someone with no experience but I wouldn't mention it.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. As long as you're not blogging about your rejections, going off on endless rants, or (in my opinion) blogging about politics or religion, or other polarizing topics not pertinent to your book, it's okay to put your blog address in your signature. If an agent's interested or on the fence, they might click over to see what you're about.

Unless it gets a lot of hits, or relates in some significant way to your book, don't mention it in the letter, though. It won't help, and wastes valuable real estate on the page.