So, Alaska..............

Soothing Snow

Registered
Reaction score
Does/did anyone here live there? What's it like? What's Wasilla like? How are the high schools there? What are the people like? Are they all as 'nice' as everyone says?

I'm wondering because we're moving there in July[huge chance it'll be in Wasilla] and I'm a bit nervous. So I'm curious on what I should be looking forward to instead of worrying about it:tongue. Thanks!

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Does/did anyone here live there? What's it like? What's Wasilla like? How are the high schools there? What are the people like? Are they all as 'nice' as everyone says?

I'm wondering because we're moving there in July[huge chance it'll be in Wasilla] and I'm a bit nervous. So I'm curious on what I should be looking forward to instead of worrying about it:tongue. Thanks!

Never been there, but I hear you can see Russia...

Actually, I've always wanted to go. Living in Texas, as summer approaches, you can see why. Just look at it as an adventure!

askcb

If in doubt, mumble
Registered
Reaction score
Hi!
I was raised in Anchorage (26yrs) and only moved to SC 3 years ago because my hubby is AF. I know all about all kinds of Alaskan things if you have specific questions. Unfortunately, not about Wasilla HS (aside from it's small) though since I attended in Anchorage. I definitely think everyone is nice there. I absolutely 100% prefer it to where I am now and will be retiring there when it's time. Depending on where you're from, it can be a culture shock, especially the snow, dark, cold, etc.

Wasilla, compared to Anchorage or just about anywhere, is a small town but very scenic. It has that small town feel so after awhile everyone kind of looks familiar even if you don't know them. A nice big lake in the middle of town. 30-45 minutes from Anchorage depending on how fast you drive. All around it are lakes and places to fish, camp, hunt, ride ATV's and snowmobiles. If you like the outdoors are all, it can't be beat.

You'll find a lot of people wearing flannel shirts and bunny boots everywhere they go. For me it's major downfall is there is a lot of drug use, especially weed. You find the same thing in Anchorage, but it's more obvious in Wasilla.

Also, July would be the perfect time to get there. You'd really get a feel for how gorgeous it is, light 20 hrs a day, before the snow comes.

Anyway, I'm happy to tell you more if you just ask!

Kaylyn, who desperately misses AK

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

I live in Anchorage, have done so for twenty years. Schools are like schools pretty much anywhere. Wasilla is a rapidly-grown bedroom community for Anchorage, although now large enough to have standard small-town facilities. It's pretty spread out, mainly along a rather ugly stretch of highway, and zoning is considered Communism there. But off the highway, it's the Alaska version of suburbia. The prevailing politics are way out on the rightward end of the spectrum, by which standard Sarah Palin is a moderate.

The similar-sized town of Palmer, about ten miles to the east, has a longer history and is more attractive, to me. It was originally settled as an agricultural colony, and the main part of town has numerous old "colony" buildings and a big central park area with quite a lot of charm. The state fair is held there every September, famous for the Alaska version of "fair weather": drenching downpours. Palmer also has better scenery, being nestled up closer to the mountains.

If you come in July, you'll hit the peak of good weather, and still plenty of daylight (about 19 hours of sunshine, and no real darkness at night; it only gets to real dark beginning in early August. Lots of moose and two flavors of bears are around.

caw