AW Chat discussion

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought. I've been a member of the AW European crit group for some months.

Before that, a long time ago, I used to use IRC frequently. There was an option on the ICQ software that told you if someone in the chat room was typing a message.

Can someone investigate/recommend a software that does the same for the AW chats. Often our lines are getting mixed since we don't know who is replying or typing. Cross chat leads to confusion.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you're talking about: ICQ (phonetical acronym for "I seek you"), although it uses (used) the IRC (Internet Relay Chat) protocol, it was more. MSN Messenger is similar. I assume Yahoo, AIM and others are also similar. There is that little signal that tells you the other party is composing a message.

Unfortunately, I know of no IRC client used to access chat rooms such as ours that can do this. In all the years I've been chatting (don't ask me how many--even if I could remember, I won't admit to it), I have never run across a solution for the collision between several respondents posting simultaneously. The cross posting can result in often confusing and sometimes humorous results. The Trivia channels count on this peculiarity to provide excitement.

Often, in chat, when asked how I cope with this I reply: "I just read every seventh line and ignore the rest. It doesn't make any more sense that way, but at least I'm not as frustrated." :D

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Here, ask your questions about the hows and whys of chat, offer suggestions, register complaints.

Can't promise satisfaction, but we will try our best to at least provide an explanation.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like an awful lot of work just to chat for a bit. Best wishes with this. I just dropped by and was told I need voice to use it. Never use voice...so guess will not be hitting the chat room. Have fun.

Deleted member 42

Seems like an awful lot of work just to chat for a bit. Best wishes with this. I just dropped by and was told I need voice to use it. Never use voice...so guess will not be hitting the chat room. Have fun.

Wendy, that doesn't mean voice as in "audio," it means you need the blessing of an Op to be able to chat.

As a preventive measure, because of problems in the Chat room, it's set so no one can chat unless one of the Ops is present.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Wendy, we are trying to have the chat open at all times. Between the north-americans and the europeans, it's easier.

You might have caught a short time when there were no Ops around. Try again later sometime. It's great fun. :)

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm glad the chat-room is moderated now, just saying it.
I'd bet you like it, Laura; what with you cracking the whip at us hapless chatters. You do a great job :)

carolyn anderson

Registered
Reaction score
appreciation

Dear contact: I read your thread and feel that you are well informed, so I'll ask you. I'm new to AW so don't know what I'm doing, but I need basic info so I can get my novels on Kindle? (is that OK?). I need ISBN but have noticed there's a wide range of costs--69.00 to 125.00. Why is this and who should I go through? Do you have time to deal with me? Thanks, Carolyn [email protected]

Last edited:

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
carolyn, please post this in the novels section.
it isnt a good idea to give out your email for a number of reasons.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Carolyn, folks can click on your username and select "Send email to carolyn anderson" if they want to email you.

Who are you addressing your message to?

Do you want your post moved to Novels forum or maybe to Self-Publishing and POD forum? Just shout and we'll kick it over there.

-Derek

ViraKamarati

Plumbing the depths of irrelevance
Registered
Reaction score
It seems that the #absolutewrite room is now defunct, as there are no ops, one person has voice and everyone else is unvoiced (meaning they can't chat.)

There seems to have been some sort of controversy revolving around the person whi is voiced which erupted and caused this.

The new channel is #writers_cafe, also on starchat.

I was not around when any of this happened, I've only recently joined AW (and this new chat.)

Could we update this so that the new channel grows or the old channel is properly reclaimed?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It seems that the #absolutewrite room is now defunct, as there are no ops, one person has voice and everyone else is unvoiced (meaning they can't chat.)

There seems to have been some sort of controversy revolving around the person whi is voiced which erupted and caused this.

I was not around when any of this happened, I've only recently joined AW (and this new chat.)

Could we update this so that the new channel grows or the old channel is properly reclaimed?
Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about, I'm in chat now and it's working OK.

The chat room is silenced when a chat op isn't around (ordinary visitors can't chat). This is to deter abusive asshats who drop by to pester AW members.

-Derek

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score

The #absolutewrite room is NOT defunct and even though it is no longer visible in Starchat's channel list, it is still easy to access through the link on the first post of this thread.

Like Derek said, the presence of a room Operator (Op) is indeed necessary for people to chat, and between all Ops we do try to have the room open as much as possible.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
There are several chat rooms on StarChat.net that are "for" writers. I believe most, if not all, are created and operated by members of these forums. However, the only "Official Absolute Write" channel is #AbsoluteWrite.

We are always interested in finding people who have the willingness and ability to host the chat room on a regular basis. "Regular basis" can be an hour a day, or an hour a week. Experience with IRC chat rooms is desired, but not necessary. We are absolutely willing to train the right person. :)

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
We are always interested in finding people who have the willingness and ability to host the chat room on a regular basis. "Regular basis" can be an hour a day, or an hour a week. Experience with IRC chat rooms is desired, but not necessary. We are absolutely willing to train the right person. :)

Train, uh?

:Ssh:

Erm ... nevermind. :D

ViraKamarati

Plumbing the depths of irrelevance
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Every time I have been to #AbsoluteWrite, I have not been able to chat, and there is only one person voiced, with no ops...

I'm not sure how you can claim that it isn't defunct given this style of moderation. Please give thought to switching to a different system.

SaraP

Registered
Reaction score
The amount of chatting that goes on in the AbsoluteWrite room is very closely dependent on american hours. As a european, I've had the room open for over 10 hours where the only people that talked were the Ops and the voiced chatter. Sometimes people pinged out and their irc clients logged them back in automatically, and that was it.

Also, as with so many things in this world, activity is random. Sometimes the room is open at "american hours" and nothing happens, and sometimes a bunch of people drop in and chat for a while.

My point is: there is activity and the Ops do try to keep the room open as much as possible within our own time/activity restraints. It's not a perfect system, but it has been working for the majority of people so far.

In other news, I have updated the post on chatting with Mibbit with some important information for those who use it.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, just bad timing. What are your preferred hours, i.e. when are you most likely to be online?

-Derek

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
I something up with StarChat? I can't get on to either absolutewrite or thewriterscircle through starchat or through mibbit.

*plays the 'time-will-resolve-this' game*

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Try clearing out all your cookies and starting over. Be sure you know all the user idents to your favorite sites and passwords before you erase cookies, though.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
Never mind it's all cool. *punches starchat* It's all cool! 9_9