• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Asking Questions in Third Person Past Tense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I have three beta readers, one who, until just recently, had never picked on this in the previous chapters of my novel.

I'm describing a landscape in third person past, and I end this description with: What happened to this land? My beta reader pointed out that asking a question in narrative is a sign of a tense shift to first person, but I have never heard that before. Plus, I've read books with third person past tenses that do that.

But my other two beta readers have not pointed that out, so I'm assuming they see no problem with it. And frankly, I have no problem with it either. So, is there some rule about this? I've read plenty of writing books that state you should rarely ever--or never--use a ! in narrative, but not a ? (well, common sense says use it sparingly).

Danthia

I don't see that as shifting to first person. It's the narrator thinking about that question. Unless you use first person pronouns, it's not first person.

No real rule, per se, but if you have a single POV, any internalization is going to be attributed to the POV. If it's omniscient, it'll be attributed to whomever's head you're in at that moment. Or the outside narrator if the paragraph is from them.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tell him or her I said so, but your beta is an idiot.

Tense is the verb's relation to time--past, present, future. Person is entirely different, a matter of whether I ran to dinner, you ran to dinner, or he ran to dinner.

I think it sounds fine as you've written it.

Maryn, who doesn't think this beta has nothing to offer you--just not grammar tips

Skye Jules

March 15th: Issue 1 release
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tell him or her I said so, but your beta is an idiot.

Tense is the verb's relation to time--past, present, future. Person is entirely different, a matter of whether I ran to dinner, you ran to dinner, or he ran to dinner.

I think it sounds fine as you've written it.

Maryn, who doesn't think this beta has nothing to offer you--just not grammar tips

Lol. He/she has done a good job with beta reading (mostly with the plot in general), but I just found the comment so odd.

But thanks a lot you guys. That really cleared things up for me. :D

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'd make sure it was clear who was thinking the line and that it sounds like whoever that is. But 3rd person can have all kinds of thoughts, yes ;)

Oooh, also check that your narrative distance didn't swing too close too fast, or similar. In other words, there could be a reason the line stood out, still :) Does it fit your POV style well and consistently, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.