Which MS would you put your time into?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwoody

Back for another round
Registered
Reaction score
I have been working on one of my two completed MS for a few months now, editing, getting beta reviews and rewriting. It really is a good story, but I have things to fix before submitting queries. I'm just getting so frustrated. I want to put it away again and work on MS #2.

Which MS would you put your time into?

MS #1
MC doctor who spent her childhood and early adult years trying to get out of her small town. She finally succeeded, becoming an emergency room doctor in Chicago. But, she falls for a guy from her hometown and finds herself back where it all started. Choosing the life she once shunned, she marries the guy and finds herself going through an identity crisis. She is unhappy about everything about her situation except for the love of her life, who she soon finds out is absent more than she expected, especially during prime farming times in the spring and the fall.

In a time of desperation, she is introduced to the journals of the women who married into the same family she had at different times in the 20th century. They all lived in the farmhouse she now occupies with her husband. In their stories, which cover the life of a farm wife throughout the entire 20th century. She eventually finds her way with the help of the journals.

MS #2
MC is a public relations rep with a major league baseball team. She is assigned to take care of a problem child player who has been badmouthing the team and its players to the press.

One of his favorite targets is another player, who the MC ends up falling for. MC ends up dating the player and lives the life of a professional athlete's girlfriend, with all the perks and pitfalls.

Along the way, she discovers that her grandmother had a secret life that she feels mirrors the way she has chosen to live her life and it spells disaster for her relationship. She gets so caught up in how she could end up like her grandma, that she refuses to see the good aspects of her life.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, since they're basically the same storyline (information about the past makes the heroine reexamine her own life), I guess it would come down to which characters resonate within you. If you're a big city girl yearning for the country, Plot A would get my vote. If you're a small town girl yearning for the city, then Plot B.

Why is it about YOU? Because what is in your mind as you're writing is going to speak in the book. It's going to wind up richer just because you'll be able to describe emotions stronger.

So, which one really grabs you? :)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I like B, just cause it grabs me more then A.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
If you can overcome your frustration and push the nearly-finished manuscript to submission form, I'd do that.

If you can't face your nearly-done manuscript even one more time,
<sound of tearing hair>
set it aside to cool and go work on some other project.

I'd pick up whatever is closest to finished. The idea is to get manuscripts out the door.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
MS #2

One of his favorite targets is another player, who the MC ends up falling for. MC ends up dating the player and lives the life of a professional athlete's girlfriend, with all the perks and pitfalls.

I didn't see that coming. I sincerely expected you to say she falls for the kid's father (single dad, obviously) who also passionately hates the team she works for. I mean, the kid got it somewhere, right? :O AHAHAHAHAHA!!! Anyway, Love ms#2-the idea.

But I ditto what they said. Awesome advice, they gave.

Last edited:

CloseWriter

Registered
Reaction score
As an avid reader of romance, I would pick up #2 to read if I saw it on the shelf. I've read quite a few of those baseball short stories and I like them even though I think the game itself is boring because the players are not boring at all.:)

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
As someone who formerly worked in public relations for a MLB and a NHL team, I have difficulty with the second scenario. Players were strictly hands off for those in the front office and fraternization was cause for termination. Also, if she were to take on the role as the baseball player's girlfriend, and by this I assume you mean traveling with the team and sitting in the wives box during the games, no way would she still have a job.

Also, I don't understand if the "problem child" is a player's child or a rookie on the team. If it is the child of a player, I don't know how he would have access to the press seeing as the GM's could easily solve the problem by not allowing him access to certain parts of the park or on the team plane. If it's a rookie... well, there's something called club imposed fines to break them of those habits. And if that doesn't work, there's also something called the minor leagues.

Last edited:

Alwoody

Back for another round
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who formerly worked in public relations for a MLB and a NHL team, I have difficulty with the second scenario. Players were strictly hands off for those in the front office and fraternization was cause for termination. Also, if she were to take on the role as the baseball player's girlfriend, and by this I assume you mean traveling with the team and sitting in the wives box during the games, no way would she still have a job.

Also, I don't understand if the "problem child" is a player's child or a rookie on the team. If it is the child of a player, I don't know how he would have access to the press seeing as the GM's could easily solve the problem by not allowing him access to certain parts of the park or on the team plane. If it's a rookie... well, there's something called club imposed fines to break them of those habits. And if that doesn't work, there's also something called the minor leagues.

She does end up losing her job because of it. "Problem child" is a superstar rookie, an acquisition from Cuba who just defected to play MLB baseball.

Status
Not open for further replies.