KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think this is an accomplishment?

The other day an editor approached me to write an article. They said I could have a whole page in their magazine for the article. Told me exactly what they wanted too.

I sent the article in and was promptly told that they were looking for 300 words, but that they usually edit a piece to death anyway, so they could make it fit. (I wondered what size font they used?)

I sent the article, along with the editor's comments to a close friend who happens to be an editor. I wanted to ask her what the kindest way was to tell the magazine editor that I wanted to pull the article. Her reply...

"Your piece is tight, informative and exactly what she ordered..." "To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind buying it from you for..."

She did buy it, and kept it as is...and at almost double what the original editor originally offered. (What I can't get over is that they were going to edit out 3/4 of the article and make it work! I couldn't allow it!)

Anyway...long story short...too late...I sold an article. (And kept true to self!)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This is the poetry article that came out yesterday. The one I refused to let go to the first editor. I sent it to my editor friend and she bought it.

NewB

Super Fast Turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Your action is commendable, Kay. Not everybody can stand up to their priniciples! Congratulations!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I had to really search to find this one!

The above article was just accepted for reprint. The online newsletter paid me $50US for it! So, an editor approached me and asked me to write it...then said they would chop out 500 of the 800 or so words to make it fit! (After telling me she wanted to give me a full page to do with what I wanted! Was she going to print it in 26pt font!) Then I told an editor friend about what the first editor was going to do with it and she said, "Don't you dare let it go! I will publish it word for word and pay you more!" So she rescued it from a fate worse than death and published it in November. Then, yesterday, I received a paypal payment and a link to the reprinted article! So that first editor can eat my dust!!! Just wanted to share this!

K

Here's a link: http://www.artellawordsandart.com/PassionPoetry1.html#pp8

It's the guest article.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's brilliant, Kevin. It's encouraging to us, and great news for you.

I'll mark your words, and I'm going to spend some of my next free time looking through this publication. Thanks a million for sharing it with us!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks guys! Hey Poet...check out the Poetic Idol contest while you're there!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay, KTC! It's hard not to compromise; I had to do a similar thing with no publication (yet) as a result. You give me hope!

ETA: I love the article. It made me realize why it is that I ended up writing poetry...(I spend a lot of time in meditation and song).

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo, K,

Both for selling the article and for staying with your original writing intentions. It also contains a lesson for all of us. It suggests that there are two kinds of editors out there--the right one(s) and the others, and we shouldn't settle for one from the latter group.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
jdkiggins said:
Congratulations, Kevin. Nice article!

Thank you! And thanks to everyone.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
I think this is an accomplishment?

The other day an editor approached me to write an article. They said I could have a whole page in their magazine for the article. Told me exactly what they wanted too.

I sent the article in and was promptly told that they were looking for 300 words, but that they usually edit a piece to death anyway, so they could make it fit. (I wondered what size font they used?)

I sent the article, along with the editor's comments to a close friend who happens to be an editor. I wanted to ask her what the kindest way was to tell the magazine editor that I wanted to pull the article. Her reply...

"Your piece is tight, informative and exactly what she ordered..." "To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind buying it from you for..."

She did buy it, and kept it as is...and at almost double what the original editor originally offered. (What I can't get over is that they were going to edit out 3/4 of the article and make it work! I couldn't allow it!)

Anyway...long story short...too late...I sold an article. (And kept true to self!)

Good, now double your accomplishment by selling the piece to the priginal editor. It's been published as you want it, now let the first editor publish it at one quarter length. Sometime syou can have a piece publish six or seven times just by letting each editor have it his way.