where does genre and word count go?

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times. Can once more hurt?

Where does an agent want to see word count and genre in the query, at the beginning or the end?

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
There's no way to know for sure what each agent prefers. The word count goes in your book info line (TITLE is a [genre] complete at XX,XXX words) but where you put it is up to you.

A lot of people think opening with your hook and putting the info at the end is the best way to go, while others think an agent will want to know the genre and word count before they read about the book. There's no sure answer, which I know isn't much help. Go with your gut.

ETA: I've always put it at the end, and I've had plenty of positive responses. But then I've only ever queried publishers, not agents.

Danthia

Either, so do what feels right for you. Doesn't matter to the agent (though some have expressed a preference in one or the other, so if you see that when you do your research on them, do it they way they prefer). No agent is going to reject you solely for where you put the stats about the book.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
I can say that when Nathan B. did his "Agent For A Day" contest last year with the 50 queries, I found myself skipping past all that stuff whenever it was at the beginning and going straight to the pitch.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
I think this is one of those things we queriers get hung up. It's such a minor detail.

In the end, if your query letter is decent and your hook is interesting (or if the agent has asked for them, your sample pages levitate out of the slush), it doesn't really matter if your genre and page count come first or last. You'll see results.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Not only is QLH (where I know you're enjoying a lovely vacation) designed to torture you while amusing us, we occasionally attempt to provide answers. You might want to look at this thread: I am seeking representation ... (
multipage.gif
1 2).

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
i just put it wherever it sounds right. usually at the end.