I'm having problems uploading an avatar :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I try to upload a file, whether from my computer or from a website, it says:

error writing temporary file

It's definitely smaller than 80x80, and I've tried on 3 separate computers with no luck. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Welcome to AW!

You should read the newbie guide. You need 50 posts before you can upload an avatar. There's lots of great advice in the guide:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315
(also located at the top of the forums page)

Here's the info on avatars:

Edit Avatar: When you first sign up, you can choose an avatar from our collection. Once you reach 50 posts, though, as long as your reputation score is still 10 or above (everyone starts with 10 points), you'll become a Super Member and be allowed to upload your own custom avatar. PLEASE NOTE: It takes the board a couple of hours to reset itself and realize that you've become a Super Member, so please don't worry if you're not immediately able to upload an avatar. Avatars must be no larger than 80 by 80 pixels for regular members. (Benefactors and mods get some extras; I'll tell you about that in a minute.)

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
well, that would explain it! ta very much :)

I'm a long-time message board user and moderator, so I generally know the standard 'rules' - it's stuff like this that differs between boards that gets me!

(sneaks off to read the newbie guide, shamefacedly) LOL

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
strange. I've waiting the requisite 'hours' - an entire weekend, in fact, and still can't upload an avatar.

I've checked the size and other details, and all are ok. I'm using this avatar on other boards, so I also know it's not a file problem.

Any ideas?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have 10 rep points yet?
I believe people start out with ten rep points by default.

"error writing temporary file" doesn't sound like it has anything to do with AW. If your pic weren't meeting the requisites, then you'd have seen a message indicating something more specific about the dimensions or the size of the file.

This sounds like it could be a caching or buffering error - that there's a problem copying the file to a staging area while it does the upload operation.

It might be that you've run out of temporary file space on your computer, (or that you don't have access to it, which would be weird). Internet Explorer, for example, allows the user to set the maximum disk space to use for storing temporary files [Tools->Internet Options...->Settings...], as I'd expect all browsers would.

Perhaps try clearing your browser cache, temporary files, cookies, etc. from your computer. In IE, for example - or at least the antiquated version I'm on now, select Tools-> Internet Options... and select the "Delete Files..." button.

Last edited:

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I believe people start out with ten rep points by default.

Granted that I signed on a couple of years ago, I didn't start out with 10 rep points. And if new users started out with 10 by default, there wouldn't be any point in specifying that they have to have a minimum of 10 to be able to upload custom avatars. :)

However, since the OP has 18, that's obviously not the problem.

MissMacchiato

Registered
Reaction score
But the file wasn't being uploaded from my computer - I was loading it from a third party hosting website. I've tried uploading it directly from 'my documents' as well, but it's still not working :O

thanks for trying to help everyone :)

ETA - would you look at that? I'm fully loaded baby! bring it on! thanks again! ;)

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad that you've worked it out, MM! The cache issue would be the same, I think, whether the pic came from your pc or a website. I might be wrong, but I think the browser needs that workspace regardless of the pic's origin.

Granted that I signed on a couple of years ago, I didn't start out with 10 rep points. And if new users started out with 10 by default, there wouldn't be any point in specifying that they have to have a minimum of 10 to be able to upload custom avatars. :)

However, since the OP has 18, that's obviously not the problem.

I started with ten, and I recall (back when I was a mod) seeing new rego's with ten. I presumed the point of starting with ten is just that zero is a lonely number; the reason for setting ten as the minimum for other privs, then, would be to restrict people who were new and already getting negative rep points- i.e. starting off on the wrong foot.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

All members start with ten reputation points; the "points" aren't really used for much of anything.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hush up, Medi! I've been making a killing selling them on Ebay.

ajc

What do I know?
Registered
Reaction score

Ha! I was wondering what people did with them.

Deleted member 42

I'm telling you, first chance MacCannister isn't looking, I'm going to edit the templates so that you'll have comments, and be able to leave comments, but there won't be any points.

Either that, or change the invisible but originally green chicklets to spiders . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.