Genre before hook?

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
While working on my query letter, I'm getting some conflicting information about this...

Tidbit #1: Open the letter with the story's hook, give the basic rundown of the story, then state "(genre) is a (genre)" in a subsequent paragraph.

Tidbit #2: State the genre and title upfront, then get into the story itself, so the agent knows right away what genre s/he is dealing with.

Is there a universal yes or no for this? Does it boil down to an individual agent's preference, or am I shooting myself in the foot if I get them out of order?

Reaction score
Just to be contrary... :D

I start with the hook, move to a paragraph about the story, then say something like, "TITLE, an erotic suspense YA comedy sci-fi thriller, is complete at 194,493 words."

So there.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Just to be contrary... :D

I start with the hook, move to a paragraph about the story, then say something like, "TITLE, an erotic suspense YA comedy sci-fi thriller, is complete at 194,493 words."

So there.

That's how I'd always learned to do it, too...but I've got someone who is a bit more marketing savvy than I am, and she's very emphatic about doing it the other way.

Me? I'm just confused.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I've been doing it half one way and half the other for my current querying

FWIW I got more bites with No 1 - with US agents at least. UK cover letter is different, so probably doesn't apply.

This, of course, may mean only that the ones I used No 1 on were the ones that would have liked the hook and requested anyway.

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
That's how I'd always learned to do it, too...but I've got someone who is a bit more marketing savvy than I am, and she's very emphatic about doing it the other way.

Me? I'm just confused.

I just read about this somewhere - I think on the Query Shark's blog.

It said to put it at the end and leave the valuable real estate in the beginning for your hook.

Of course, everybody has different opinions. I did it hook first in mine.

Reaction score

Me? I'm just confused.
Is said friend in the publishing business, though?

You need to get the agent/publisher's interest straight away. Grab them by the agentballs!

"I am seeking representation," or anything similar is redundant, because...duh. Why else would you be contacting them? Word count? Pfft. They assume you're following guidelines in that respect anyway. Genre? Same.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Is said friend in the publishing business, though?

Yes. When we discussed it the other day, she explained that some agents get frustrated during pitch sessions because people will launch into the pitch but not state the genre upfront. Results in many a pitch being interrupted by a terse "What genre are we talking about here?"

While talking to some of them after the fact, she was told the genre should be stated upfront in queries as well. However, I've heard the exact opposite...so...confused.

Reaction score
Well...you said yourself some agents get frustrated.

And pitch session rules don't apply to letters or emails.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Well...you said yourself some agents get frustrated.

Right...some...which is far more ambiguous than "none" or "all" and makes it rather difficult to figure out which side of the fence an individual lands on. So...am I shooting myself in the foot if I query an agent who prefers one way over the other? Does it really matter?

*tears hair out*

And pitch session rules don't apply to letters or emails.

Yes, I know...it was the conversations afterward where query letters came up, and the same sentiment was applied.

Can't I just say "I wrote a book. It rocks. Represent it, yo." :D

Reaction score
You have no way of knowing if this agent or that agent prefers either method. So you just have to do the best you can.

Just put your title in capitals, so the agent/publisher can scan the letter for the relevant information if it doesn't appear where in the text they prefer it to be.

I would recommend hook first, technicalities later, with capitalised title to make it easy to locate.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hook first, genre second, with title in caps. Mind you, my hook is quick -- only two sentences and then onto the substance. This formula has gotten me a few reads.

I also indicate the genre in the subject of the e-mail sometimes. I've been taking it out lately just to shorten the subject line, but I really can't tell if it's having any effect on the "fish."

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
It really depends.

Usually, I think it's personal preference, but I've read some queries in QLH where it would have helped a great deal to have known the genre BEFORE I read the substance of the query, just to sort of set expectations. I'd be reading along, thinking it's a contemporary story, for example, only to find out in the last sentence that it's a historical. Or I'd be thinking it's historical, only to find out it's alternate reality. So, I'd get to the end, nodding along, thinking, "yeah, it sounds interesting," and then -- bam! -- it turns out it's a completely different story than I'd been imagining, and I have to go back to the beginning to figure out what's actually going on. That kind of confusion is not a good thing.

Now, it might be possible to clarify the genre in the substance of the query, so a reader couldn't head down the wrong track, but instead of twisting ourselves up in knots to slip in the necessary clues, why not just say up front, "it's historical" and get it over with?

I'm a firm believer in keeping queries simple. If the storyline would be confusing without knowing the genre up-front and there's no simple, easy way to work it into the first substantive sentence, then just say it up front.

Otherwise, go with whichever format you prefer. Personally, I like to get the genre/title/stats out of the way up front and figure the agent can skip it if she prefers to start with the substance.

JD

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Do you want the first sentence the agent reads to be exciting, or boring?

Reaction score
Damn it, JAR - why'd'ya have to go and say shit I agree with like that?

agentpaper

One of many
Registered
Reaction score
I used the hook first, genre second on all my queries. Then, after I signed with my agent, I found out she prefers the "I'm querying because..." in your first line and then the rest. So, I'd say go with your gut, because if the query sounds interesting I don't think they're going to care where things have been placed. (As long as it's not confusing.) :)

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

Me? I'm just confused.

Why not write both of them and then see which one grabs you most.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
As Jan says, it depends. Some queries have to be a certain way or they lead to confusion. That being said, you might want to look at I am seeking representation ... (
multipage.gif
1 2).

And I agree with putting the genre and word count in the subject line.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Danthia

Use whichever you prefer. It really doesn't matter and both are acceptable formats. If you know an agent (like Query Shark's Janet Reid) prefers one over the other, format it how they like it.

No agent is going to reject you just because you put one or the other first.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Use whichever you prefer. It really doesn't matter and both are acceptable formats. If you know an agent (like Query Shark's Janet Reid) prefers one over the other, format it how they like it.

No agent is going to reject you just because you put one or the other first.

I agree.