GOLF Anybody?

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Had to create this thread to celebrate Rory McIlroy's first PGA Tour win, with a stunning 10 under par 62 in the last round at Quail Hollow!

He smashed the course record by 2 shots.

This young Irishman (tomorrow's his 21st birthday) is a star of the future, and could even take over the world number 1 spot within a couple of years.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I was also impressed by his play, but even more so by Ryo Ishikawa, who shot a 12 under 58 to win the Crowns in Togo, Japan, the lowest score ever on a major tour. He is eighteen years old.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
Though I'm an average golfer at best (and pretty damn terrible at worst), I once birdied the first two holes of a round. Two-under, never to be seen again.

Haven't played in three years. Sniff. Sniff.

It's heart-breaking.

And yes, both rounds mentioned above were very impressive.

FreeWhistler

Cookie monster
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm not that fond of the Golf. My ten year old Ford get way better mileage than the new Golf. 40 mpg on the highway vs 30. And Volkswagen calls it an economical car. Hah!

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Yes, Ishikawa's a fantastic youngster, too.

And what about Matteo Manassero, the young Italian, who turned pro on Monday of this week, aged 17 and 2 weeks.

Also, watch out for Lisa and Leona Maguire, 15 year-old twins from Northern Ireland, who will be the youngest ever to play in the Curtis Cup.

There's a lot of it about!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I go with my 14-year old son on Friday afternoons. Haven't been out this year yet...but we will be going on the next nice Friday. We do a nine hole...sometimes twice. His sister got him a new putter for Christmas and he's dying to try it out.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
When I was that age, all I ever wanted was a sand wedge. I was in seventh heaven when I finally got one for Christmas one year. I was probably about 15 then.

I love the game, and could have been a golf superstar. All I lacked was talent.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Well, I still win the odd game against my 14-year old...but those wins are rare. He has a better short game and long game than I. Last year he was ALWAYS frustrated by his putting...even though, by my estimates his putting was far superior to mine. We'll see how the weather is this Friday...maybe we'll get a game in and he can humiliate his old father again. He's already crowing about surpassing me in height this week...he just went past the 6' 2" mark...he's a hair taller than me now! Perhaps he can add a golf win as the crown on his week.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
My son beat me once on a par 3 course, in a round where he had a hole-in-one! He still has the score card from that round somewhere. I think it's one of his most treasured possessions!