Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlsadvice.7.forumer.com
I'm writing a spy thriller in which at least three people (maybe more) get tortured. What are some modern ways to torture someone? I've thought about electric shock and the squeezing of certain muscles (the Trapezius, for instance), but I'm looking for something more realistic.

I've been thinking about emotional torture, too. Since the main character is a world-class violinist when she's not helping to save the world, I might have the antagonist threaten to break/mutilate the fingers on her left hand.

This has been the biggest stumbling stone I've run across so far, and I think my work would flow a lot more easily if I could just figure this one issue out. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that was done in Zimbabwe was cutting of someone's hand, cooking it and forcing them to eat it.

I think it would be the ultimate sadness if someone was starved to the point that they would eat it willingly.

(It wouldn't have to be the hero - it could be the person imprisoned next to them)

Mac

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Let's take a page from Guantanamo bay. How about sleep depriation, facing someone with their worst fears (Dogs, Snakes, Bugs, Broken violins.) Using lbright lights constantly 24/7, Ruination of a treasured item. These are employes by the military, so they must work.

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hmm... Some of those sound like they might work. As far as worst fears go, the MC is deathly afraid of fish, and I had already made the antagonist push her into a fish pond (and then 'rescue' her, so she thinks he's on her side. Logic isn't really her first priority after being swarmed by fish.)

I like the bright lights and sleep deprivation, but I think I might also include the electric shock idea I had already come up with. It might speed things up, don't you think?

Thanks for the ideas!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Torture him for fun, or for information? If for information, screw up his knees first so he has something to look forward to with the elbows and wrists. If for fun, then any of the others would be fine too.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Rachael said:
I'm writing a spy thriller in which at least three people (maybe more) get tortured. What are some modern ways to torture someone?

Tie them to a chair and make them watch endless hours of Americal Idol while Anna Nicole Smith and Paris Hilton have a celebrity death match in the background?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
Tie them to a chair and make them watch endless hours of Americal Idol while Anna Nicole Smith and Paris Hilton have a celebrity death match in the background?
C'mon Patti, would any one really be THAT cruel????

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:

Wow, that's way harsh! ;) Add some of Lindsay Lohan's "music" and a few rats and you'd have the perfect torture chamber.

Carlene

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlenedater.com
Oh, Patti - you are evil! Actually you're all pretty sick. Thanks goodness I found this site!!!! I know some cook ways to kill folks and no one would know....

Carlene

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rachael said:
I've been thinking about emotional torture, too. Since the main character is a world-class violinist when she's not helping to save the world, I might have the antagonist threaten to break/mutilate the fingers on her left hand.

Or have the antagonist threaten to destroy the MC's priceless, 16th century Italian violin.

As for torture, an interesting one that I've heard that is actually used in the "third world" is bending someone's head over and spraying a shakened-up Coke or Ginger Ale into their nose. Apparently it burns like hell (and leaves no marks).

Another one is putting someone in a coffin and threatening to bury then alive. The idea of that always freaked me out as a kid.

ac

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Ad nauseam exposure to smilies
torture.gif
, just sayin--it could happen.

Euan H.

Unspeakable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
euanharvey.com

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, peine forte et dure, such a pleasant sounding phrase for being pressed to death with stones....

Gabriele

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostfort.blogspot.com
Strappado is still used today.

All you need is a rope and a hook in the ceiling or a tree branch. If you tie the victim's hands behind his back, the shoulders will dislocate, which is really painful. You can add flogging, like in the smiley above. :)

And don't forget rape as a torture method.

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most commonly used torture methods these days is one of the most simple: Holding someone's head underwater. It's very popular with terrorist groups and undercover agents: one simply runs a bath of cold water and forces the victim's head under. Then, once you've finished, pull the plug out and the incriminating evidence vanishes. So the floor's a bit wet? Someone had a bath at some point recently.

Apparently, it's one of the most terrifying feelings, being choked with water repeatedly. It's what I used in a torture scene in a book I wrote, and I was told that it was far too realistic and unpleasant!

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Do you want them to live or to die? If you want them to die, how long do you want them to live before they die? If you want them to live, how long do you want them to live? What kind of life do you want them to be able to live? A hopeless cripple and an example or a recovering victim? How long or what do you want it to take to make them recover?

Do you want them to escape from the torture on their own?

What kind of constitution does your victim have?

lmcguire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmcguireonline.com
Sorry to come late to the party. I also write spy stories (have several shorts and am working on a novel). How to write a torture scene, including the method used, really depends on a lot of details - who is being tortured, by whom (not just characters, but their relationship), why (possibly most important) and what further plans do you have for the characters later in the story? Also, from whose point of view are you writing? Are you doing first person from the victim's POV or third-person torturer?

Anywho, if it's not too late, please reply with some of these details and I'll share my opinions (otherwise, I'd have to go on at length :)).

Best Regards,

Liz

Rachael

**Engaged**
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Two of the people we aren't really introduced to. They're tortured for information, then immediately killed.

The MC's ex-boyfriend is the leader of a world crime organization. He's a little neurotic, and he kidnapped her a) because he's obsessed with her and b) to upset her current fiance. I had him rape her, then repeatedly tell her her fiance wouldn't want her anymore because of it. Mostly he was trying to brainwash her using torture, etc.

Thanks for the great links! I'll have to check them out as soon as I get a free moment.

lmcguire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmcguireonline.com
Rachael said:
The MC's ex-boyfriend is the leader of a world crime organization. He's a little neurotic, and he kidnapped her a) because he's obsessed with her and b) to upset her current fiance. I had him rape her, then repeatedly tell her her fiance wouldn't want her anymore because of it. Mostly he was trying to brainwash her using torture, etc.

Ah, well, this makes a big difference. The leader of a criminal organization is going to behave very differently than an official intelligence agency - a criminal organization isn't going to give two hoots about the techniques used; an intelligence agency is going to be more selective, more subtle in its techniques (depending on the situation, of course).

And of course, the prior relationship will impact things.... Most certainly he'll want to cause her pain, which pretty much any technique will do. If he hopes to get her back, he won't likely use a technique that would disfigure her; if he wants to ensure no one else will ever have her, the exact opposite would be true.

For brainwashing, it's key that the technique he use include a lot more than pain - do some internet / library research on brainwashing. The first step is to take away the victim's identity - sense of self. Don't let him use her name when she can hear it - not even to others when talking about her. He should immediately take away anything which she might use to maintain her identity - clothing, jewelry, etc. - and replace those that need replacing with something generic, uniform-like. In serious cases, a standard haircut is even used (think military - there's a lot of brainwashing techniques used in bootcamp, just not to the same ends / extremes). Using her violin (wasn't it?) doesn't fit with this, though it does fit with increasing her level of stress (you'll have to decide how consistent his techniques will be and toward what end). Sensory deprivation can also be a part of brainwashing.

For techniques which don't involve disfiguring the victim, look into sleep deprivation and torture involving extremely loud music or other noise (both are more effective than one might believe without having done research). When sleep deprivation is used, it is generally in conjunction with forcing the victim to stay in a single, uncomfortable position for long periods of time - sitting on a stool with no back, standing facing a wall with one knee bent awkwardly and the arms folded at forehead level, leaning against the wall (for example). Also consider hooding (which can be used both for torture and for brainwashing (sensory deprivation)). All of these techniques are good when you want to extract information and have the time for them to take effect as they don't risk injuries which would prevent the victim from answering questions, but do mess up the victim's head to the point where they make mistakes. And I agree with what's been said about drowning.

For more physical techniques or for disfiguring techniques, the links provided and/or a google search should give you lots of ideas - use whatever fits the torturer's personality...

FWIW,

Liz

Last edited:

RumBucuresti

Registered
Reaction score
Depends very much on the reason for the torture. If its for punishment, to teach a lesson or make an example, or to gain information the techniques would vary. Timescale of the need for information also would vary the torture methods. I think its almost universally known now that the use of pain to gain information, except in the most pressing instances, is not the best way to get accurate information. Anyone cutting pieces off me would hear whatever i thought would get them to stop. If i know this then even terrorist bully-boys would.

Status
Not open for further replies.