May Just Hit Send

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Firsties from me. lol Well, as you know writer-pals I'm starting my internship and magazine writing class this month. In addition to my part-time writing gig with momslikeme, f/t job and kiddo. I also decided to start reading non-writing books. My brain feels overwhelmed with writing right now. lol Reading - Pillars of the Earth. It's pretty good so far and a nice change. Other than this, as usual, I'll be posting my achievements as I go along. What are you up to this month?

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Heiddi! wow, it's May ... where did April go? Sounds like you've got a busy month, I hope you enjoy your class :)

As for me, life has been pretty bumpy lately so once again I'll be checking in, but problably not going to worry over any goals. On the bright side, I bought a dog last Thursday ... we'll see how it goes.

Happy May everyone! (Hopefully spring will show up soon!)

Cleopatra Jones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

The month is off to a busy start. I just started writing Travel Tips for USAToday.com (via DS), I have two new queries on the brink of sending, and I need to start on an article that's due at the end of the summer. (It requires a lot of research and given how busy I've been lately, I'm afraid to leave it until the last moment). Also, today I posted "30 ways to slant an article" on my expat freelancing blog.

Heddi - good luck with all your projects! It's good to take a break and read something non-writing related.

Ravenlea - hope life smooths out for you and that your new dog soon becomes part of the family.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Raven! Thanks for the support. I don't know where April went. When you find it, let me know. lol I'm really excited about the class and internship. I'm also going on a women's breakfast to take a spiritual break. That's toward the end of the month. I'm going through alot right now, both professionally and personally. I need to take a breather. Glad to hear that you bought a new dog. I take it this means Pepper didn't come home? I'm sorry about that because I could tell how much you loved her. Hugs!
Cleo - What's up chica? Way to go on the travel tips and all your hard work. I'm sure it'll pay off. Thanks for the good luck wishes. I'm hoping to finish the book sometime this year. lol It's pretty good so far and I'm now getting into it. Maybe I should bring it with me to read on the road. lol I'm off to read your new post, have dinner and some "me" time before hanging up the laundry and feeding kiddo later. lol

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
This is going to be a very busy month for me. Because of that, I NEED to write out some goals. So, here we go...

-Proposal for a book about using Twitter (for the same company that did my book of devotions - requested at the conference this past weekend).
-Add to chapter outline for The Idea Pocket/book about creativity (particularly for writers) to send in with a proposal (requested this past weekend at the conference).
-Add 25,000 words to KIERNAN'S CURSE to send to an agent (also requested this past weekend at the conference).
-Send a letter of introduction to Oklahoma Today (see above)
-Start new quota system for writing ($100/day, no carry-overs, each day starts new)
-Go to Books in Bloom in Eureka Springs on May 16
-2 weeks' residency at the Writers Colony from May 9 - 23.
-Promote Devoted to Creating (consider doing a virtual book/blog tour)

Mysti

Aurora, CO is my new home!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
*Doh* I hate when that happens! I've been so busy with things I've actually had to take my notebook to bed with me and write down things I think of before going to sleep.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
welcome back Mysti! Missed you so much! Jen - I'm so proud of and excited for you! :)
I posted a couple of times this week already, an editorial about fun games to play to get you back to writing and the notable quotable today about how to have fun and where fun can take you. :) I also drafted a query/article about music and writing. :D So excited. Need to polish it up before I send it out to WOW. Deadline is the 15th. Nothing else from me right now other than being super stressed out due to work and personal life. Oy ve!

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score
This is the gal responsible for the grammar article speaking! I'm percolating more grammar- and style-related posts for the blog.

*Doh* I hate when that happens! I've been so busy with things I've actually had to take my notebook to bed with me and write down things I think of before going to sleep.

I've been doing that for the last couple of weeks, not necessarily because of busyness but because after about the first three nights of taking a notebook to bed my muse got trained.:badthoughts Now I can't sleep unless I've written at least a couple of sentences in bed, no matter how much I wrote during the day--which this week has been quite a bit most days.

I finally feel like I'm making significant progress on my novel after a long dry spell. I'd like to get through the next three chapters by the end of the month, or even hit 50K total (just over 10K to go). That would be awesome.

Tuesday morning I submitted a short devotional message for a ministry at my church (they translate them into Tagalog for a phone hotline in the Philippines) after over 2 months of not contributing anything...they're really hoping for about 4 a month from each writer, although they appreciate anything, but it would be nice to get ahead so I'll aim for 5 more.

Is this the kind of thing "Just Hit Send" is for?

Last edited:

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like everyone's doing great! For me, it's Write-Rinse-Repeat. And to try and not forget the Writer's Digest Competition deadline is next week.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
congrats to everyone! sounds like everyone is on a roll this month! :) I fear I have fallen by the wayside. I've been trying hard to do some DS articles to keep us floating until hay gets here -- someone tell me spring/summer is on the way, because snow in May is just not my thing! -- however each time I get an article back for rewrite I want to scream. (How can you be too specific to a topic???) Here's hoping by the end of this month I will have some solid mag articles to write about and hay season will be here in full swing.

ok, enough whining ... After doing 50 DS articles in the last little while, I've decided to get my life back on track. I emailed the editor at a magazine I used to write for fairly regularly and pitched him an idea. I also pulled out and dusted off a number of old articles. Some I hope to sell as reprints, others never got printed in the first place and need a home. Lately my husband has been extra supportive of my writing, so I'm taking full advantage of it! :)

I won't be around tomorrow so Happy Mother's Day a few hours early!

Mysti

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
This has been an amazing week. From launching www.AWritersNook.com to marketing, networking, writing, submitting, editing, and finally, tonight, closing the entries on this week's contest and posting the option for public votes. After emailing each of the contestants, I sat back and smiled with tears in my eyes. It has been a long week, but I've worked hard and can't believe I have one days reprieve before starting it all over again. Should I be this emotional over the whole process? Possibly not, but I'll run with it and enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm so sorry that you are battling the snow in Idaho! My friends and family in Wyoming have cursed and complained at the fluffy, wet, cold weather, too. I hope it dries out for you soon!

Hey - Plaid - I laughed at your invite to my personal facebook page, especially when I noticed you were on my professional one! And don't forget - there's a deadline looming this week!

Ms. DustyBoots - Let me know if you have other writing posts in mind. I'm hoping to run one each week. *winks*

I hope you all have a fabulous Sunday - and those of you with knee-high ankle biters, "Happy Mother's Day!"

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score
It's DustyBooks. There will be another article as soon as I can go to the university library! I got to the public library on Friday, but it doesn't have the book I want to refer to in the next article.

I've still been working on my novel and a really silly short story, but that's about it. I wanted to hit page 100 (single-spaced) of the novel by Monday, but that would mean writing over four single-spaced pages today. Not gonna happen--even in the middle of an exciting scene with a big storm at sea and an enemy ship on the horizon!

I did find the ideal intense music for what's going to happen next, but it's so intense it gives me a headache if I listen to it for too long. A didgeridoo concerto, would you believe!

It's been snowing at least once a week for a while here (southern Alberta) too. I've already worn shorts and sundresses several times, sat out on my patio to read, ridden my bike places, run errands on foot, flown kites, and played outdoor sports with friends, so every time it snows it's an extra bummer because I'm thinking of all the things I can't do. It was supposed to snow today, actually, but they changed the forecast! Now it just says rain, which I like unless I have to walk to work in it.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you're all very busy.
Mysti - you go girl! Keep up the great work.
Ravenlea - Milk that support for every drop. It's nice to have such amazing support.
Dusty - welcome to JHS. You have some great goals. :)
Plaid - I like that "Write-Rinse-Repeat" lol
As for me, not much writing since my last post. I've been going through so much and it doesn't seem to be stopping. And it's really pissing me off. And being that I'm going through all of this alone and wishing my mom was here was enough to give me the blues. Though I have to share that today seems a bit better for me. Had no plans for today except church. Came home, kiddo went out with his father and brought me flowers, a card and a t-shirt. Caption - "This is what I look like when I'm ignoring you." lol That made me laugh and it was nice of kiddo's father to take him shopping for me. My pal and her son just stopped by with roses and a bear. It was nice to have them check up on me. Yesterday I went shopping at Victoria Secret and then Borders for books. lol My kind of day. Planning on getting back on track tomorrow with writing unless I get the ball rolling tonight. Happy Mother's Day to the mommas here. :)

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Ravenlea, I totally understand about DS. I've backed off them a little so I can concentrate on more freelancing. It's too easy to get in that 'gotta get more in the queue' rut, LOL! Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Mysti, LOL, thanks for reminding me-I needed that. I dropped by A Writer's Nook, it looks awesome! I'll cast my vote when I get all of the stories read, I promise!

DustyBooks, the right music can really make a scene, can't it? Keep up the good work!

Sky, hang in there. Write when you can. Write to make yourself feel better; not everything you write has to be for public consumption. Sometimes it's just good therapy. And sometimes you just have to recharge before you pull out the keyboard again--sounds like you have a good start! You're in all our hearts, and you never have to go through anything alone.

I'm sitting here, working on a proposal, and trying to think of wiseass things to write down. What a job! What a life! :)

Mysti

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
HOLD THE PRESSES!

Ravenlea - CONGRATULATIONS!
DustyBooks - I saw an email from you and am hoping that Wednesday will offer me time to actually respond to emails (it is that crazy of a week!)
Plaid - You're very welcome! And keep on workin' out that witty prop!

Now, onto me....

I have a problem..................

I ran out of scribble board.

Me not having a scribble board to scribble on? HUGE issues. Also means there is either a.) too much work for me to handle b.) way too many appointments coming up c.) an enormous to-do list ~or~ d.) a very big project underway.

Uh, I think I need a personal assistant to read and respond to my emails.

Sincerely,

Sinking when I should be sailing...

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I don't use a scribble board. Maybe I should? lol. On my computer armoire at home, I have a dry erase board that I do use sometimes, but not consistently.

Anyway....

Update:
-Proposal for a book about using Twitter (for the same company that did my book of devotions - requested at the conference this past weekend). Honestly, I haven't started this yet beyond just thinking about it.
-Add to chapter outline for The Idea Pocket/book about creativity (particularly for writers) to send in with a proposal (requested this past weekend at the conference). Same as above.
-Add 25,000 words to KIERNAN'S CURSE to send to an agent (also requested this past weekend at the conference). In progress. I've got it down to where I need 19,000 now.
-Send a letter of introduction to Oklahoma Today (see above). Done!
-Start new quota system for writing ($100/day, no carry-overs, each day starts new) In progress but doing OK.
-Go to Books in Bloom in Eureka Springs on May 16
-2 weeks' residency at the Writers Colony from May 9 - 23. I'm here!
-Promote Devoted to Creating (consider doing a virtual book/blog tour)

I've also submitted a couple DS articles and applied to several gigs. One is for editing, which I'm pretty sure I got. The guy sent me an e-mail asking if I'm still interested. I sent back a confirmation. :)

DustyBooks

Registered
Reaction score
Skyraven, your shopping sounds like much more fun than my shopping. I start volunteering at a museum on Friday (keeping myself busy over the summer since I'm only working part-time) so I bought a bunch of dressy clothes on the weekend. At work I can get away with anything other than jeans, so it's usually cargos and a T-shirt, but for this it's dress pants and blazers...I'm gonna have to IRON!:e2thud:

Good luck on your proposal, Plaid!

Ooh, yikes, Mysti! I don't have a scribble board, but I do remember in high school running out of space for the day in my fairly large school-issued day planner. That usually meant I wasn't going to get anything done because I'd be in the school counselor's office complaining about feeling stressed. Their most common piece of advice was to eat oatmeal for breakfast.

I hate oatmeal.

Yes, I sent the first part of a two-part article on historical fiction, since the university library does have a copy of the book I wanted to refer to but it's signed out. I didn't know this because for a while their online catalogue was down for maintenance. Now that it's up and running again, I've put it on hold and I should get it later this week, and then the other article should be a piece of cake.

I hope to send the second part later today, and also write a devotional for that thing at my church. I'm also meeting a friend at the park for tennis and basketball.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
raven - way to go on the JHS!!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
plaid - I'm following your advice. I'm using all of this nonsense for fodder for The Freshman Writer and my portfolio. Forgot that my portfolio is there, too. lol I had yesterday off and I'm taking tomorrow off as well. I'm going to set up my summer vacation schedule with kiddo so that I can have fun time off. I'm so exhausted.
Mysti - running out of scribble board is a problem. How about a word file for you to scribble on? I can understand that overflow of work/ideas is so hard to deal with. I got nothing other than a word file for you. :/ Wish I could do more.
Jen - Whew! I got tired from reading your post! Way to go. Did I tell you how amazing you are? It's awesome to see your journey. :) Good luck with all of that!
Dusty - My shopping was fun because my father gave me money for Mother's Day! Woohoo! I refuse to iron! lol Way to go on the historical fiction article and the devotional. :) Keep up the great work!
I did the Notable Quotable yesterday and not much else. I took the day off to relax a bit. I was so wiped out that I did nothing after dropping kiddo off. Then I went downtown to request a transcript and educ. certification from grad school for my licensure. After that, I picked kiddo up at school and took him to see "Furry Vengeance" with Brendan Fraser. Got great laughs from that. Good movie. Then kiddo and I went home. It was okay, but I felt more wiped out than anything else. I'm still feeling that way. Tuesday, I participated in a conference call with Linda Formichelli on how to generate ideas for writing. Pretty good so I count that as a JHS because I missed the last three. She does this on a monthly basis so you all might want to check it out. It was great! Like a mini-class. No goals, but accomplishments. I'll have to post some tomorrow and Monday my magazine writing class starts! Can't wait!