PDA

View Full Version : Author faking reader comments on Ammy

Horseshoes
05-01-2010, 07:47 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-04-28/housewives-amazon-scam/

Articles mentions the Figes bit, too.

LOG
05-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Hnnnn, people need to learn to just let their stories speak for themselves and get over their ego. They are not their story, they do not matter in regards to the story. I never bother looking up authors (I didn't know what Rowling even looked like until several months after the 7th HP came out) unless I'm trying to hunt down more of their books.
Any criticism you receive (that isn't just pure flaming) is a very valuable resource for an author, it's not something you should treat as if it were going to hurt you. I love it when people tell me what's wrong with my writing.

Paul
05-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Surprised about Figes, though his stuff can be a bit dense, it's pretty damn good. He hardly needs to promote himself. Maybe he was drunk?

Jamesaritchie
05-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I've found it's no problem if you simply don't read reviews of your own books. I can't think of a reason in the world to care what a reviewers has to say. Many books get great reviews and flop completely, and other receive nothing but horrible reviews and stay on the bestseller list forever.

So I just don't care.

Witch_turtle
05-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Sometimes I like to fantasize about being published, walking through a bookstore, spotting someone browsing my section, and recommending them my book. Or, say, slipping it onto the "staff picks" shelf. But that's just because the idea of me in a cheap wig and big sunglasses telling people "This book is great. GRRRREAT!" is just really amusing to me.

This is just very petty and kind of sad. I can't believe she'd be so insecure and superior that one bad review would make her turn around and throw out such unfounded insults.

MartinD
05-01-2010, 11:48 PM
It's kind of a non-secret that many writers review their own books on Amazon. Pretty favorably, too, I'd guess.

If somebody says something negative about your beloved words, I imagine there's a desire to fight back. Real or not, the belief exists that a positive review sells books and a negative one hurts. I know I pay attention to reviews and haven't bought several books when the reviews were bad.

Renee Collins
05-02-2010, 01:39 AM
But that's just because the idea of me in a cheap wig and big sunglasses telling people "This book is great. GRRRREAT!" is just really amusing to me.

:D

Cyia
05-02-2010, 01:43 AM
It always amazes me when the people who do this are surprised at getting caught.

Darzian
05-02-2010, 01:53 AM
There's only one word (or emoticon) for peeps like these:

:crazy:

Margarita Skies
05-02-2010, 02:33 AM
There's only one word (or emoticon) for peeps like these:

:crazy:

:ROFL:

Ugawa
05-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Sometimes I like to fantasize about being published, walking through a bookstore, spotting someone browsing my section, and recommending them my book. Or, say, slipping it onto the "staff picks" shelf. But that's just because the idea of me in a cheap wig and big sunglasses telling people "This book is great. GRRRREAT!" is just really amusing to me.

Lol. That's a great idea. I can just imagine myself (if ever published) walking into my town's Waterstones and walking backwards and forwards moving the copies of my book from the shelf to the 'recommended' table.

I think I'd actually wet myself laughing if I got caught and then reported about. Perhaps I'd even get my very own thread here. :D

Miss Plum
05-02-2010, 10:42 AM
There's no feud like a literary feud. I guess it's because words are such effective weapons -- and now comes the Internet to act as a handy cloaking device. Sad thing is, citizen journalism takes a hit. Michiko Kakutani is as powerful as ever!

Libbie
05-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I've found it's no problem if you simply don't read reviews of your own books. I can't think of a reason in the world to care what a reviewers has to say. Many books get great reviews and flop completely, and other receive nothing but horrible reviews and stay on the bestseller list forever.

So I just don't care.

Oh, man. I am so tickled by really angry bad reviews on Amazon, I hope I get some one day. Not a ton, mind you, but SOME. they're entertaining!

Mr Flibble
05-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Lol. That's a great idea. I can just imagine myself (if ever published) walking into my town's Waterstones and walking backwards and forwards moving the copies of my book from the shelf to the 'recommended' table.

I think I'd actually wet myself laughing if I got caught and then reported about. Perhaps I'd even get my very own thread here. :D

You don't need to sneak if you've already made friends with the people who work there. ;)

Fallen
05-02-2010, 07:45 PM
:D

Lol. I'd get the blonde kid on the left to do it. No-body would tell him off.
Maybe we can extend the recommened a scam' thread, to 'Lend a friend to scam'?

Obviously this lady hadn't got any...

aruna
05-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I have a story! The summer my fist novel came out I was on holiday in Tobago. I made friends with a woman at my hotel, Gloria, and she was reading a book I was very jealous of: Man and Boy, which was a first novel released on the same date as mine by the same publisher, but by a well known Daily Mail journalist, Tony Parsons, and so of course got a huge promotion while mine didn't. Anyway, she was saying she didn't like the book, it was so shallow, badly written, etc. When she finished it I gave her mine, wihtout saying it was by me, and said, see if you like this one better. So she read it and when she finished, said she loved it! And only then I confessed that I was the author.
We became friends after that, and still are, though I haven't seen her for ages. Lives in London.

scarletpeaches
05-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Ugh. I hate that book, aruna.

M&B I mean - not yours of course. ;)

Also - the thread title makes baby Jesus cry.

aruna
05-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Baby Jesus is doing a lot of crying these days, what with Rejection Queen and my lack of hard work ;)
(I'm only getting up at 5.30 these days.)

brainstorm77
05-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Hilarious.

scarletpeaches
05-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Baby Jesus is doing a lot of crying these days, what with Rejection Queen and my lack of hard work ;)
(I'm only getting up at 5.30 these days.)My god - there are two half past fives in one day?

Really? :eek:

wrangler
05-02-2010, 08:19 PM
that is what we do here in america -politicians are famous for it.

BenPanced
05-02-2010, 09:22 PM
*thinks to self: "Author faking reader comments on WHAT?"*
*reads thread*
*agrees with scarletpeaches*

But, yeah, I don't trust reader comments any further than I can spit a piano. There's just no room for honest discussion of online reviews since I'm either questioning the poster's motives and honesty or getting yelled at because I disagree with somebody.

Kaiser-Kun
05-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Also - the thread title makes baby Jesus cry.

Let's cheer him up! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=799e7RFesrI)

If I wanted to do sneaky promotion of my books, I'd tour around the country's libraries dressed like a ninja and throwing copies of my books to the HotStuff section as if they were shurikens.

ArcticFox
05-02-2010, 10:08 PM
If I wanted to do sneaky promotion of my books, I'd tour around the country's libraries dressed like a ninja and throwing copies of my books to the HotStuff section as if they were shurikens.

THIS!

scarletpeaches
05-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Let's cheer him up! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=799e7RFesrI)

If I wanted to do sneaky promotion of my books, I'd tour around the country's libraries dressed like a ninja and throwing copies of my books to the HotStuff section as if they were shurikens.Nice try, orshole. I ain't clicking.