How to quote messages in replies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been answered, but how do I quote someone else's message in a reply? Some people quote an entire message, and some quote partial excerpts.

Thanks!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
There are 2 buttons to the right of the post. One is just the quick reply button and the other says Quote. If you click on that, a screen will come up that allows you to see the quoted message (and cut it down to just what you're replying to) and add your own text.

Give it a shot in here to practice and see if it works for you :) If not, I'll see if I can give you better instructions.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Saritams8 said:
There are 2 buttons to the right of the post. One is just the quick reply button and the other says Quote. If you click on that, a screen will come up that allows you to see the quoted message (and cut it down to just what you're replying to) and add your own text.

Give it a shot in here to practice and see if it works for you :) If not, I'll see if I can give you better instructions.

Testing...1...2...3...

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
All right, that makes sense. How do you include quotes from two or more different posts? By using the [ and ] mechanism Richard mentioned?

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
Testing...1...2...3...
Excellent! And you can clip the quoted material down by just deleting it out. Make sure you don't remove the [ quote ] [ /quote ]

Yes, just do it the way Richard says if you're quoting more than one person.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Saritams8 and Richard! If anyone else wants to use this thread to experiment with quoting replies, please do so.

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
TheIT said:
Thanks, Saritams8 and Richard! If anyone else wants to use this thread to experiment with quoting replies, please do so.

I know how to add one quote, but I'm still unclear on how to do TWO... can anyone explain this more fully?

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Cassie: Follow my example, but replace the brackets I've used - ( ) - with square ones - [ ]

(quote=Cassie88)I know how to add one quote, but I'm still unclear on how to do TWO(/quote)

You don't need to use bold type.

When you replace the brackets, it should look like this:

Cassie88 said:
I know how to add one quote, but I'm still unclear on how to do TWO
You can do this as many times as you like in a single post.

Last edited:

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I found another method of quoting. In the toolbar when you're typing the reply, look for the symbol which looks like a cartoon word balloon on the end of the second row. If you highlight text in your reply with your cursor and then click on the word balloon, it'll put the <quote> syntax around the highlighted text.

Yaslan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
TheIT said:
I found another method of quoting. In the toolbar when you're typing the reply, look for the symbol which looks like a cartoon word balloon on the end of the second row. If you highlight text in your reply with your cursor and then click on the word balloon, it'll put the <quote> syntax around the highlighted text.

just testing.... :TheWave:

Status
Not open for further replies.