PDA

View Full Version : How to quote messages in replies?

TheIT
08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Apologies if this has already been answered, but how do I quote someone else's message in a reply? Some people quote an entire message, and some quote partial excerpts.

Thanks!

Sarita
08-24-2005, 12:11 AM
There are 2 buttons to the right of the post. One is just the quick reply button and the other says Quote. If you click on that, a screen will come up that allows you to see the quoted message (and cut it down to just what you're replying to) and add your own text.

Give it a shot in here to practice and see if it works for you :) If not, I'll see if I can give you better instructions.

Richard
08-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Alternatively, just type <quote>Quote goes here</quote>, except with [ and ] instead of < and >.

TheIT
08-24-2005, 03:49 AM
There are 2 buttons to the right of the post. One is just the quick reply button and the other says Quote. If you click on that, a screen will come up that allows you to see the quoted message (and cut it down to just what you're replying to) and add your own text.

Give it a shot in here to practice and see if it works for you :) If not, I'll see if I can give you better instructions.

Testing...1...2...3...

TheIT
08-24-2005, 03:54 AM
All right, that makes sense. How do you include quotes from two or more different posts? By using the [ and ] mechanism Richard mentioned?

Sarita
08-24-2005, 03:54 AM
Testing...1...2...3... Excellent! And you can clip the quoted material down by just deleting it out. Make sure you don't remove the [ quote ] [ /quote ]

Yes, just do it the way Richard says if you're quoting more than one person.

TheIT
08-24-2005, 04:18 AM
Excellent! And you can clip the quoted material down by just deleting it out.

Testing...1...2...3...

Let's see if this works...

TheIT
08-24-2005, 04:19 AM
Yep. Thanks!

TheIT
08-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks, Saritams8 and Richard! If anyone else wants to use this thread to experiment with quoting replies, please do so.

Cassie88
08-29-2005, 02:53 AM
Thanks, Saritams8 and Richard! If anyone else wants to use this thread to experiment with quoting replies, please do so.

I know how to add one quote, but I'm still unclear on how to do TWO... can anyone explain this more fully?

three seven
08-29-2005, 03:20 AM
Cassie: Follow my example, but replace the brackets I've used - ( ) - with square ones - [ ]

(quote=Cassie88)I know how to add one quote, but I'm still unclear on how to do TWO(/quote)

You don't need to use bold type.

When you replace the brackets, it should look like this:

I know how to add one quote, but I'm still unclear on how to do TWO
You can do this as many times as you like in a single post.

TheIT
08-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Testing...1...2...3...

Second attempt

TheIT
08-30-2005, 01:10 AM
I found another method of quoting. In the toolbar when you're typing the reply, look for the symbol which looks like a cartoon word balloon on the end of the second row. If you highlight text in your reply with your cursor and then click on the word balloon, it'll put the <quote> syntax around the highlighted text.

Sarita
08-30-2005, 04:00 AM
Our little TheIT is all grown up, guys!

Yaslan
12-17-2005, 10:00 PM
I found another method of quoting. In the toolbar when you're typing the reply, look for the symbol which looks like a cartoon word balloon on the end of the second row. If you highlight text in your reply with your cursor and then click on the word balloon, it'll put the <quote> syntax around the highlighted text.

just testing.... :TheWave: