What about publisher's "imprints"?

eScotty

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm getting close _ I hope _ to submitting a non-fiction book proposal, and will try three or four publishers in Canada, where I'm located. But what do I do about submitting to Random House Canada, which has imprints or affiliates such as Alfred A. Knopf Canada and Doubleday Canada. Do I send one proposal - or three (i.e., one to each). Similarly, do I just send to Penguin Canada or also send separately to their imprint Viking Canada.

Also, do I submit to a particular title - e.g., Acquisitions Editor - or a particular person, e.g., Ms. Molly Smith, at each destination?

Thanks,
eScotty

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Each imprint usually has its own acquisition policy (as well as its own preferred subject matter). Note I said usually. Rather than submit one blanket proposal and hope that it gets to the staff of the various imprints (unlikely), you'd probably be better served by researching each imprint as if it was its own publishing house and sending proposals to the ones that best fit your material.

scfirenice

professional multitasker
Registered
Reaction score
Be cautious sending your work straight to the publisher. You should try and get an agent first and let them do it. The reason being is that, for the most part, once an imprint rejects your proposal none of the other imprints or the publisher to which they belong will accept your work. There may be exceptions, but with so few publishers out there, why chance it. Let an agent decide which house to submit your work to.

eScotty

Registered
Reaction score
re: what about publisher's imprints?

Hi,
Thanks for the two replies, but they seem kinda contradictory. One says to submit to each (suitable) imprint separately, as if they were arm's-length publishing houses. The other says, if one imprint rejects me, none of the others will touch me, as they are all the same publisher. You can't both be right. Hope to hear more on this.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
eScotty said:
Also, do I submit to a particular title - e.g., Acquisitions Editor - or a particular person, e.g., Ms. Molly Smith, at each destination?
Always submit to a real person. Submitting to "Acquisitions Editor" makes it look as if you didn't do your homework.

If you were submitting to imprints of large publishers in the US, I'd definitely recommend you get an agent--some of these imprints do accept unagented work, but they give it very low priority, and response times can be extremely lengthy. However, as I understand it, an agent is less necessary in Canada, with its very much smaller book market; so I think you could reasonably try to approach publishers on your own. (Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong about this.)

Do carefully check the imprint's guidelines, though, to be sure that unagented submissions are welcome. The guidelines hopefully will also make it clear whether you can submit to multiple imprints of the same publisher, or one imprint only. Publishers vary widely in their policies on such things, and you really need to take it on a case-by-case basis.

- Victoria