PDA

View Full Version : Autumn is knocking. What do you cook?

Carole
08-23-2005, 09:48 PM
With my favorite season just a warm breeze or two away, I'm beginning to think about my favorite things to cook throughout harvest time. I'm an incurable homemaker at heart, so it's no wonder this coming time of year makes me smile.

I thought it might be interesting to see how others choose to change their cooking habits with this turn of season, and maybe exchange recipes. Lord knows that when I can actually remember to eat, it IS one of my favorite pastimes! I'll start it off with a family recipe that I would eat every day if I could. It's a twist on a favorite Southern treat- cornbread. My aunt Peggy won a nifty blue ribbon for this recipe in her local county fair (Montgomery County, Texas) back in the late 70's.

Spoon Corn Bread
(You might call it a cornbread souffle. You can't really pick it up and eat it like traditional cornbread, but having to use a spoon or fork is a worthy sacrifice!)
2 cups milk
1/2 cup plain white cornmeal
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees

*Heat milk over medium heat in saucepan. Stir in cornmeal gradually. Cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in butter and salt and remove from heat.

*Cool for 15 minutes then stir in eggs. Pour into buttered 6 cup casserole or souffle dish.

*Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until well risen and lightly browned.

Be careful if you are a fan of cornbread that isn't sweet. I have a tendency to want to eat the entire PAN! (smothered in butter, of course!)

Pat~
08-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Carole, thanks for the recipe. My Texas-born hubby will be sure to love it. I've been away from the food/cooking thing for 5-6 years now, but will have to try to get back into the kitchen to try this one out for him. And I'll dig around to see if I can find a recipe to add here.

Carole
08-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Great! My aunt...actually all of us are originally from West Virginia, but we all seem to have scattered to the winds. I think she adapted this recipe from her husband's family, all of whom are from TX

WVWriterGirl
08-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Great starter, Carole! I love to cook year-round, but in the fall I like to get back to the more substantial, "it's time to get warm" fare. My boys like chili all through the summer months, but I think it's best in the fall. Here's my cobbled-together recipie; note very few of the spice amounts are set, as I usually add to taste.

PS - some'll argue that this is "chili con carne", but hey, I'm from WV...it's all just chili to me.

Chili

1 can light red kidney beans, undrained
1 can dark red kidney beans, undrained
1 1/2 - 2 pounds ground beef (preferably ground chuck or better)
1 can diced green chilis, undrained
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes or tomato sauce + 1 can of water
1 medium onion, chopped fine, -or- about 1/2 cup dehydrated onions, rehydrated
3 to 4 cloves of garlic, chopped -or- a generous shaking of garlic powder (not garlic salt)
About 1 tablespoon of the following spices/seaonings:
Oregano
Basil
Thyme
Emeril's Essence seasoning
Paprika
Parsley
Sugar
Salt
Black pepper
About 1 teaspoon (less where indicated) of the following spices:
Cinnamon (just a couple measley shakes)
Cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot)
Generous amounts of the following (explained in instructions):
Chili powder
Cumin powder (3 to 5 tablespoons)
3-4 small Bay Leaves or 2 large ones

In a large pot, brown ground beef with undrained green chilis, onions, and garlic. Do not drain. Once meat is browned, add beans, paste, tomatoes, water and spices. For chili powder, once all ingredients are in and mixed well, cover top of chili with chili powder and stir in. Add cumin powder, beginning with 3 tablespoons. Allow chili to simmer (stirring occasionally) for 15-20 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning accordingly. Simmer for at least 30 additional minutes. Before serving, add more chili powder (about 1/2 the previous amount) and stir in. Test again for seasoning, and add additional salt if necessary.

I hope this isn't too difficult to follow - if you'd like to try this, just send me a PM and I'll try to clarify for you. I never work from a recipie - this is one of those dishes that I just do - My family loves it. If I'm not the first to get a bowl, I usually don't get any at all.

Edited to add - I usually serve this with shredded cheese (like a colby jack), sour cream, crackers and a great big pan 'o' cornbread (the not-sweet kind).

WVWriterGirl
08-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Great! My aunt...actually all of us are originally from West Virginia, but we all seem to have scattered to the winds. I think she adapted this recipe from her husband's family, all of whom are from TX

Oh, my gosh, that's awesome! Another 'eer! Hello from back home, then!

WVWG

JoeEkaitis
08-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Noodle-Wurst Casserole

Cook a 1-lb. box of rotini pasta per package directions. While it drains, dump a 16 oz. container of sour cream into the pot and whisk it until liquified. Add 1 can each of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, 8 to 10 sliced green onions, a teaspoon each of garlic powder and ground black pepper, and 6 oz. of shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Mix well with a big spoon and fold in 1 lb. of thinly sliced smoked sausage and the cooked drained pasta.

Pour into a greased casserole and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle 6 more ounces of shredded cheddar on top and bake 30 minutes more. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

If you substitute fat-free or low-fat soup, sour cream and cheese, it's just as comforting without as much guilt.

JAlpha
08-23-2005, 11:21 PM
Ah yes, autumn. That's the time of year I traditionally get most of my new writing done-not sure why, it just seems to work out that way. But, with all the time I spend writing in the fall, I don't have a lot of time to cook, so I hire a professional chef http://www.cheftalkcafe.com/forums/images/smilies/chef.gif

Well not really, but I do use my crock pot nearly every day in the fall. It's a wonderful way to spend a few minutes in the morning preparing a meal before a full day of writing. Then come dinnertime, it's almost as if someone else cooked dinner.

Favorite crock pot recipe . . .

White Chile

Prep time -15 minutes
Cooking time- 6 hours on low heat setting
8 servings

Put all of the following ingredients into the pot for the first 5 hours

1 1/2 pound skinless chicken thighs
1 large chopped onion (1 cup)
2 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 14oz can chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce

For the final hour put the remaining ingredients in.

2 15oz cans great northern beans (rinsed and drained)
1 15oz can white corn (drained)
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Paint
08-23-2005, 11:25 PM
When it starts getting chilly I start wanting bean soup to go with that cornbread recipie upstairs. Note: When the cornbread is still warm I drizzle honey on it.

Clean and soak navy beans overnight. Rinse well.
Throw in crock pot with ham bone and skin. Cover with water and one half tsp black pepper.
Cook all day on low, and drool at smell.
After doing fall chores all day, take the beans and ham stuff out of the crockpot and put in cast iron dutch oven. Throw out ham skin. Clean chunks of ham off bone and give bone to trusty dog.
Simmer on low until broth is thick and beans finish getting soft. About an hour.
During that hour make spoon bread.
When all is ready dole out large amount of soup into a pasta bowl. I put cornbread on top of soup and some on a plate with a huge gob of butter and honey. Back to the soup--my personal touch is to put ketchup on top of the soup and cornbread.
Hokay, now for the good part. Park in front of TV, your favorite show, put a napkin under your chin and eat soup with a big spoon. Drink lots of ice water.
Plan on an evening at home because you will feel like a happy pig who can't move.
mmmmmm!

Paint
08-23-2005, 11:26 PM
Were we all hungry or what!!??

JAlpha
08-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Were we all hungry or what!!??

No, but I am now http://www.chip.co.id/forum/images/smilies/extra/fridge.gif (http://www.chip.co.id/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies#)

Looking forward to trying your bean soup recipe--in my crock pot.

Pat~
08-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Okay, now that we've had the main course, it's time for dessert. Here's my mom's recipe for...

APPLE CRISP

5 c. sliced, pared, Granny Smith apples

1 c. brown sugar, firmly packed

3/4 c. flour

3/4 c. QUICK cooking oats

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 c. butter

Arrange apples in buttered 9x12 pan. Combine brown sugar, flour, oats, and cinnamon; cut in butter till crumbly. Press mixture over apples. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees Farenheit) 45-50 minutes or until top is browned. Serve warm with ice cream (or Cool Whip or whipped cream). Enjoy!

Carole
08-23-2005, 11:45 PM
PS - some'll argue that this is "chili con carne", but hey, I'm from WV...it's all just chili to me.

Me TOO!

I usually serve this with shredded cheese (like a colby jack), sour cream, crackers and a great big pan 'o' cornbread (the not-sweet kind).

Now I KNOW you are a WV girl! Chili isn't chili to me without a big ole hunk of cheese and cornbread (sans sugar). I married a fella whose parents are from upstate NY...all he is used to is sweet cornbread, but I don't care for it really. To me, that makes it taste like cake. Fabulous recipe! I can't wiat to try it :)

JoeEkaitis
08-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Sausage and Lentil Soup (Zap 'n' Simmer Method)

1 head of garlic, peeled and minced
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
2 broth cans water
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 lb. dry lentils
1 lb. hot or sweet Italian link sausage (turkey sausage preferred)

Combine onion, garlic and olive oil in a removable slow cooker crock. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes in a microwave oven at 100% power, stir, heat 3 more minutes, stir again and heat 2 more minutes. Allow to cool slightly and stir in Italian seasoning, black pepper, broth, water, tomato sauce and lentils. Add sausage links whole. Cover

(At this point, the covered crock can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.)

Set crock in heating base and cook 6 hours on High or 12 hours on Low. Remove sausages and allow to cool 15 minutes. Slice as desired. Return sliced sausage to soup. Stir for 3 minutes to puree some of the lentils and thicken the soup.

If your slow cooker doesn't have a removable crock, use a skillet to cook the onions and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are transparent. Add to other ingredients in the slow cooker.

Alternate serving method:

Remove sausage links to a serving platter. Cook 2 cups long grain white rice. Serve sausage links whole and ladle the lentils over the rice. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

And, of course, fresh herbs can be substituted for Italian seasoning.

Mangia! Mangia!

PattiTheWicked
08-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Oh, fall is my favorite time of year. I cook like a demon, and begin canning and preserving stuff for the winter. This is my standard Autumn Meal menu here... let the Kitchen Witchery begin!

CHICKEN AND BARLEY STEW (COCKALEEKIE)

Half a stick of butter
A big pile of green onions, chopped
Some garlic
1 Cup shiitake mushrooms
Two pounds chicken breast
3/4 Cup barley
A splash of red wine
2 Cans chicken broth
A small handful of fresh sage and basil, chopped

Melt the butter in your crockpot or Dutch oven and saute the green onions, garlic and shrooms. Add the chicken and cook it until it's browned all over. Then stir in everything except the herbs and let it come to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for a couple of hours. Add the sage and basil about half and hour before serving.

**Serve this with some nice tasty cornbread, and it's just a little bit o' heaven in a pot.

BAKED BUTTERNUT SQUASH

1 good sized squash (butternut or acorn)
A stick of butter
1/2 Cup Brown sugar
Some cinammon, nutmeg and allspice

Chop your squash in half and scoop out the goop. Fill the hollows with the butter and brown sugar. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, and sprinkle on the spices when it comes out of the oven.

MULLED CIDER

A gallon of apple cider
1/2 Cup brown sugar
Some ground nutmeg
Three cinammon sticks
An entire orange
A packet of cloves

In a big saucepan or pot, combine the cider, brown sugar and a dash of nutmeg. Toss in the cinammon sticks as well. Take the orange and stud it with cloves, then toss that in your pot too. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for a couple of hours. Fish out the cinammon sticks before serving. Ladle it into mugs and drink out on your porch as you watch the leaves turn.

Carole
08-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Oh, my gosh, that's awesome! Another 'eer! Hello from back home, then!
Howdy! I'm originally from Logan. It really does my heart good to see others from home. I miss it, but the economy...well. Hubby and I couldn't quite make a go of it so here we are in TN.

Noodle-Wurst Casserole
I had a taste of this years ago and loved it. Thankfully, I couldn't care less about the fat content. I'm not fat, but I'm certainly not skinny and I'll not be skinny without doing things I detest. So, I'm gonna try this and defy myself to feel guilty! To quote my dear hubby,"Stress will kill you long before junk food will (or fattening food) so eat a burger and a candy bar and SMILE for Pete's sake!"

White Chili
Oh. My. Goodness! I think I have died and gone to heaven!

Bean Soup
oh, NOW we're cookin with gas! This is the stuff of my childhood!

Apple Crisp
I ask you....could you, or could you not just live on Apple Crisp? I prefer it with a slice of Cheddar Cheese all gooey and melting on top, but Whipped cream...yum!

Pat~
08-23-2005, 11:59 PM
Sausage and Lentil Soup (Zap 'n' Simmer Method)

1 head of garlic, peeled and minced
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
2 broth cans water
1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
1 lb. hot or sweet Italian link sausage (turkey sausage preferred)

Combine onion, garlic and olive oil in a removable slow cooker crock. Cook uncovered for 5 minutes in a microwave oven at 100% power, stir, heat 3 more minutes, stir again and heat 2 more minutes. Allow to cool slightly and stir in Italian seasoning, black pepper, broth, water and tomato sauce. Add sausage links whole. Cover...

Joe,
I may have missed something here, but need to know the quantity of LENTILS for your soup...

JoeEkaitis
08-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Joe,
I may have missed something here, but need to know the quantity of LENTILS for your soup...Fixed!

Carole
08-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Is it just me, or do we seriously need to throw a pot luck here?!

Pat~
08-24-2005, 12:30 AM
Joe--thanks!

A potluck might be just the thing to get me cooking again. Inspiration! (Keep those crockpot--and other--recipes coming...)

Carole
08-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Now that I have finished stuffing myself on the veggie soup that's been simmering most of the day...and yes, polished off almost HALF that pan of cornbread, how about a sweet bread recipe? Carbs? WHAT carbs?

Sour Cream Nut Bread

3/4 C - Butter
1 1/2 C - White Sugar
3 - Eggs
1 1/2 tsp. - Vanilla extract
3 C - Flour
1 1/2 tsp. - Baking Powder
1 1/2 tsp. - Soda
1/4 tsp. - Salt
1 1/2 C - Sour cream
1/2 C - Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 C - Chopped pecans
1 1/2 tsp - Cinnamon

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 greased loaf pans with brown paper.

*Cream butter and white sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and vanilla, then mix well.

*In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, soda & salt.

*Add a little of the flour mixture to the creamed sugar and mix well, then add a little sour cream and mix well. Keep alternating until all the flour and sour cream are added.

*Mix brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon in a small bowl.

*Fill your loaf pans in layers, beginning with a layer of batter, then pecans, and alternate until finishing with pecans on top.

*Bake for 1 hour. Cool for 15 minutes, turn breads out of their pans and remove paper right away.

WVWriterGirl
08-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Howdy! I'm originally from Logan. It really does my heart good to see others from home. I miss it, but the economy...well. Hubby and I couldn't quite make a go of it so here we are in TN.

NO WAY! I'm from Chapmanville!

WVWG

WVWriterGirl
08-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Since we're on the subject of breads...

Beer Bread

1 12 oz bottle of beer (I guess - I use a "tall boy")
2 1/3 cups self-rising flour (I have a 2-cup pyrex measuring cup - I just fill it to the very top)
2-3 teaspoons salt

Dump flour in a large bowl. Pour in the whole beer and mix well (consistency should be about like pancake batter). Add salt and stir just 'til combined. Bake in 350-degree oven for 50-55 minutes.

Linley's Famous Citrus Bread

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 cups all purpose flower
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp finely shredded citrus peel (orange, lemon and tangelo work best)
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3 Tbsp citrus juice (fresh squeezed)
1 Tbsp sugar

Grease bottom & halfway up the sides of 2 7 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 2 -inch loaf pans or one 8X4X2 -inch loaf pan.

In a large mixer bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add the 1 cup sugar; beat about 5 minutes or till light & fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating till combined. Add flour, buttermilk, shredded citrus peel baking soda and salt; beat just till moistened. Stir in nuts.

Bake in a 350-degree oven until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean; 40 minutes for small pan, 45 minutes for large pan. Prepare a syrup with juice and sugar and spoon over warm loaves while still in the pan.

Carole
08-24-2005, 01:06 AM
NO WAY! I'm from Chapmanville!

WVWG
You've GOt to be kidding! You know the Thornhill car dealership? My brother in law & sister are part owners with Wally Thornhill. I KNOW you have seen Butch Nisbet in his silly commercials. That's my brother in law! This is TOO wierd!!!

WVWriterGirl
08-24-2005, 01:13 AM
You've GOt to be kidding! You know the Thornhill car dealership? My brother in law & sister are part owners with Wally Thornhill. I KNOW you have seen Butch Nisbet in his silly commercials. That's my brother in law! This is TOO wierd!!!

Boy, do I ever - you know Trader's Town with the self-storage and gas station on the Corridor? I live RIGHT BEHIND THAT! Oh good Lord!

That's it. Send me a PM, we have GOT to talk!

WVWG

Carole
08-24-2005, 01:52 AM
ok, pb10220...here's one you can do in a crock pot. It's actually better that way!

Cabbage Rolls

10 large cabage leaves
1 pound ground beef
3 Tbsp chopped onion
3 Tbsp chopped green pepper
3 Tbsp chopped celery(I'm not a celery fan so I usually omit this)
3/4 c cooked rice (If you only partially cook the rice, it will expand in the crock pot and fill out the cabbage better - almost sealing it)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp salt
Dash of pepper
1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
1/3 C water
1 - 10 ounce can tomatoes
1/4 tsp each, salt & seasoned salt
1 pkg Polish Sausage, sliced into 2 inch pieces

Cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for abut 5 minutes, or until just tender. Drain.

Combine ground beef, veggies, rice, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp salt & pepper in bowl and mix well.

Spoon meat mixture into individual cabbage leaves. Wrap the edges around and secure with a toothpick.

Place rolls in a casserole dish or stock pot or crock pot, however you choose to make them.

Mix remaining ingredients together, except the sausage, and pour over the top. Place sausage pieces around the rolls.

If you are baking this dish, cover the casserole and bake at 350 for an hour. If you are cooking in a stock pot, just cover and simmer for an hour on medium heat. I've never made this in a crock pot although my mom does it all the time. I'm not sure about how long it would take so if you are going to try it, it might be best to do that on a day when you'll be home so you can watch over it.

MacAllister
08-24-2005, 02:00 AM
Winter squash (squashes? :) ) are one of my happiest fall things--I tend to like them cooked savory, not sweet;

If you take a nice acorn or butternut squash, bake it (or nuke it, in a shallow dish with about a half inch of water) peel and cube, then sort of mash it up with a potato masher--leaving some lumps

combine in a baking dish with about a cup of corn, a cup or so of grated sharp cheddar cheese; some chopped onion; a couple of pinches of chopped cilantro; about a cup of crumbled bacon, fried crisp; a healthy pinch of cumin; and salt and pepper to taste.

You can top it with more shredded cheddar cheese, or a mixture of crumbs (I like corn-flake crumbs) moistened with butter

Bake it til it's all bubbly and the onions are cooked through.

JoeEkaitis
08-24-2005, 02:29 AM
Spaghetti with Quarter-Pound Meatballs

A real eye-popper when you bring it to the table, shades of Buca di Beppo.

Combine the ingredients for your favorite marinara sauce in a slow cooker. Knead together 1 lb. of lean ground meat (turkey, chicken, lean beef or any combination), 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs and 1 egg. Divide into 4 portions. Shape each portion into a slightly egg shaped ball and immerse in the sauce. Cover and cook 8 hours on Low or 4 hours on High. Serve with cooked pasta.

If you use regular ground beef and prefer a less greasy sauce, precook the meatballs for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven or toaster oven before adding them to the sauce.

Unique
08-24-2005, 03:23 AM
Sweet Potato Pie!!! Make 2; one for dessert, one for breakfast.

(well, there's only 4 pieces in a pie, you know...)

Carole
08-24-2005, 03:24 AM
Sweet Potato Pie!!! Make 2; one for dessert, one for breakfast.

(well, there's only 4 pieces in a pie, you know...)
absolutely! I like the way you think! I have tried to teach mom about this, but she insists on those silly little portions.

p.s. There is only one little bit of that cornbread left in my pan right now, but in my defense...the doggie ate it!

Unique
08-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Carole,

You just have to teach mom the basics of dieting. If you cut the pie in *little* pieces, you have to eat two (or more) slices instead of just one. That's how people get fat. Cut your pie into quarters - then you only have to eat one piece.

Arithmetic saves the day!

arrowqueen
08-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I make my jams, jellies and chutneys now. Below is the recipe for apple chutney. (or 'Nuclear Waste' as I usually label it.)

9 lbs cooking apples, cored, peeled then sliced into jelly pan.
4 lbs onions, ditto.
3/4 lb, brown sugar.
Couple of handfuls of sultanas.
Enough curry powder, paprika, pickling spice. turmeric to make your eyes water.
Cover two thirds with malt vinegar.
Boil into sludge.
Bottle.

JoeEkaitis
08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Abuelita Loca
Mexican Hot Chocolate for Grown-Ups

Heat 2 cups milk in the microwave oven until steaming but not boiling. While the milk heats, break a whole Abuelita or Ibarra Mexican chocolate tablet along its score lines into a glass blender jar. Grind the chocolate to a powder, then add 2 ounces Kahlua or Kimura coffee liqueuer and the heated milk. Frappe for about a minute, then pour into tall heat-resistant mugs and top with real whipped cream (none of that Cool-Whip crap!).

Oh, and omit the Kahlua if you're making this for the kids. :)

Carole
08-24-2005, 11:11 PM
Abuelita Loca
Mexican Hot Chocolate for Grown-Ups

Heat 2 cups milk in the microwave oven until steaming but not boiling. While the milk heats, break a whole Abuelita or Ibarra Mexican chocolate tablet along its score lines into a glass blender jar. Grind the chocolate to a powder, then add 2 ounces Kahlua or Kimura coffee liqueuer and the heated milk. Frappe for about a minute, then pour into tall heat-resistant mugs and top with real whipped cream (none of that Cool-Whip crap!).

Oh, and omit the Kahlua if you're making this for the kids. :)
Now WHERE am I gonna find Mexican chocolate tablets in Tennessee?? Phooey. I guess it might be ok with plain cocoa, but now I am going to feel sub-par

PattiTheWicked
08-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Now WHERE am I gonna find Mexican chocolate tablets in Tennessee?? Phooey. I guess it might be ok with plain cocoa, but now I am going to feel sub-par

Actually, our grocery store carries them in with the ethnic foods. They're on a shelf between the mole sauce and the refried frijoles.

JAlpha
08-24-2005, 11:51 PM

Actually, our grocery store carries them in with the ethnic foods. They're on a shelf between the mole sauce and the refried frijoles.

If you can't get the Mexican chocolate this will work too. It's that extra bit of added sugar and cinnamon that makes it Mexican style. I like to add a little bitty dash of cayenne pepper too http://www.absolutepunk.net/images/smilies/SaiyanSmilie_anim.gif

Mexican Hot Chocolate

1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1/4 cup sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash of salt
3/4 cup water
2 cups milk
Lightly sweetened whipped cream
Cinnamon sticks for garnish and stirring (optional)

Combine chocolate, sugar, coffee, cinnamon, salt and water in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
Stir in milk, heat through but do not boil. Remove from heat and whip chocolate mixture with a wire whisk until foamy.
Pour into mugs, top with whipped cream and place cinnamon stick
in cups for garnish, if desired.
Makes 2 to 3 servings.

Carole
08-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Groovy! Thanks!

WVWriterGirl
08-26-2005, 08:00 AM
I have another soup recipie that I've done in both the crock pot and on top of the stove. Stove method is quicker, but crock pot brings out the seasonings much better. Also, a word of warning - my salt amounts my be off by a lot. I very rarely salt my foods during cooking (high blood pressure) and let my family members salt them as they see fit. If the amounts I've given seem anemic, they probably are.

Chris' Dump Soup

1 can corned beef
1 BIG can Veg-All mixed vegetables (+ 1 canfull of water)
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
A LOT of pepper (never measured, can't tell you exactly)
1 TBSP following spices:
Paprika
Oregano
Basil
Thyme
Chili powder
Garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf

Place everything in a large pot on the stove. Break up the canned corned beef. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 30 to 45 minutes. If using a crock pot, put it all in your crock pot and set on low for about four hours.

DTNg
08-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm sort of famous for this one, it's now a Christmas gift bag staple.

Deb's Zucchini Bread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts

1 Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
2 Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
3 Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
4 Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

DTNg
08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Here's one more. This one goes great with the Thanksgiving turkey.

Deb's Root Veggie Casserole.

3 Cups Apple cider
1 cup semi-sweet white wine
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/4 pounds carrots
1 1/4 pound sweet potatoes or yams
1 1/4 pound parsnips
1 1/4 pound white turnips
1 1/4 pound yellow turnips
Salt & pepper

Boil cider and wine in a heavy saucepan until reduced. (about 30 minutes -- to 3/4 cup) whisk in butter.

Peel & cut veggies into 1/2 inche pieces. (I do a julienne.)

place veggies in baking pan (or two if need be) and drizzle with olive oil. Pour cider/wine mixture over veggies. Lightly salt & pepper - toss to coat.

Roast at 425 until veggies are golden and tender with crisp edges. Usually about 40 minutes.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-29-2006, 03:47 AM
Ol' Fashioned Brother's Lick Top

My brother made this for us all at a family dinner - it's been a favorite ever since. He got the recipe from his mother-in-law, Mary B. (Myslak) Eska. An excellent 'make ahead' meal that goes together quickly, cooks without much supervision, and fills hungry mouths... and don't ask me where that name came from!

1 Pound Ground Chuck (or, for less fat, ground round)
1 Large Onion, sliced about " thick
1 Large Potato, unpeeled, sliced about " thick
1 #303 Can of Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 Large Tomato, sliced about " thick
Salt and Pepper to taste
Minced Garlic, dried
Chili Powder
3 Strips of thick-cut Smoked Bacon, cut into " pieces
1 16oz can of Mr. & Mrs. T's Bloody Mary Cocktail Mix or a can of
Snappy Tom Tomato Juice Cocktail

Using an oven-safe deep casserole dish, start with a layer of ground chuck - approximately half a pound. You'll be dividing your ingredients in half as you'll be making two layers. Layer on top of that, in order listed above: chuck, onion, potato, beans, tomato.

Before starting second layer, sprinkle on salt, pepper, minced garlic, and chili powder to taste - you'll season again after the next layer, so go easy. Add second layer in same order and season again. Evenly distribute the bacon pieces over the top. Add Bloody Mary Mix to just under the last layer of beans.

Bake, covered, at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove cover and turn up heat to 375 and cook off some of the liquid... about 30 minutes. Or, if you have shopping or a golf game planned, cook at 200. It'll be ready when you return.

This will serve two hearty eaters with some leftovers for lunch the next day for one. Delicious served with garlic or Texas toast - and like so many of these dishes, tastes even better the next day. Freezes well, too!

Soccer Mom
03-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Zombie cooking thread rises from the dead and ports itself to the cooking forum.

ooooooooooooooooh! Spooky!

Carole
03-06-2009, 08:34 AM
**looks for that recipe for brains**

Oh, Jaycinth!!! I know you have one somewhere.

Haggis
03-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Zombie cooking thread rises from the dead and ports itself to the cooking forum.

ooooooooooooooooh! Spooky!

Silly, new Supermod. Now you know you should have ported this to the Horror forum. :)

Bmwhtly
03-06-2009, 10:06 PM

ooooooooooooooooh! Spooky!*runs from the shambling carrots and parsnips*

*stamps on the tomatoes that are rolling after me*

Hah!

What?
Oh, Autumnal recipes?

Eggy Veg

Fry off an onion and 2 peppers.
Add 2 cloves of garlic, a dash of paprika and a dozen slices of your favourite salami/chorizo-thingumy.
Fry some more (the onions and peppers should be soft, but not brown)
Add 2 tins of tomato, a pinch each of sugar, salt and pepper.
Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add about 8oz of potatoes (chopped into little bits first, naturally), some beans and some peas.
Simmer for the time it take to smoke a cigarette (the potatoes should be warmed, the beans & peas should be cooked)
Dump the thing into sort-of-portion-sized casserole dishes.
Crack an egg or two onto each dish.
Stick it into 350F of oven until the eggs are cooked.

Tasygood :D