Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Way out in the boonies, in British Columbia, Canad
Website
tnt.freylia.net
You guys haven't failed me yet -- I figured I may as well check for help here. :)

For the next story I'm planning, there will be a teenager who accidently gets pregnant at 18 or 19, in the mid or late '50's, but won't marry the father, or have an abortion. Her only plan of action is to have the baby, and give it up for adoption. The girl doesn't want her parents, or anyone in town for that matter, finding out, so she plans on running away to Vancouver, BC, to have her baby.

My question is -- were there any homes for girls in her situation to go? My mom ended up in the same situation in 1968, and at that point, there was a sort of boarding house, (the way I remember her describing it) where she stayed until she had the baby. Would that have existed in the '50's? If so, how would she have found out about it?

If not, how would she have survived over half a year in the big city while pregnant and not really able to work? Would she have been forced to go to a homeless shelter, or to rent a little apartment of her own and borrow money from friends to pay the rent? And how much covering up would she need to do to hide this? Would she have needed to claim the baby's father was dead, and that they'd been married, to avoid looking like a whore?

I mainly need the girl to end up in a situation where she needs to sneak out of town, and end up with very limited communication with her younger sister, who's the only one who knows about it. Even guesses should help me with settling on what exactly will happen, the plot's still in its infancy.

All help would be appreciated, as always. :)

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
My mom was a teenager in the early fifties, and she and I have talked about this some. She grew up in Chicago, and there was this one girl who ended up "in a family way" that just up and disappeared one day. The story was that she'd gone to visit a sister who lived somewhere else, but she was actually at a home for unwed mothers on the other side of town that was run by some nuns. Apparently "gone to her sister's" was kind of a euphamism for "went off to have a baby somewhere." Mom said it was kind of an unspoken thing that if you needed to go there, someone would know someone who knew someone else who could help you get in. Kind of a word-of-mouth, underground railroad for knocked-up teens or something. Anyway, she said that many of the Catholic churches had group homes for these girls, and then they'd help them place the babies for adoption afterward.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Put the words, homes for unwed mothers 1950, in your search engine and see what pops up. I've put a couple links below that might be helpful. One tells about the Unwed Maternity Homes during Eisenhower's time.

The other gives a little info regarding the difference in how things were handled for black/white unwed mothers.

I remember my Mom talking about girls who became pregnant going off to visit a relative and coming home after the baby was born.

Girls married awfully young back then too, if that makes any difference for your story. My Mom was 15. We had a neighbor that was 12.. .do you believe that! If you were 20 before marrying you were considered getting a bit long in the tooth.

http://www.use.salvationarmy.org/use/www_use_comrelgny.nsf/vw-news/E18060F5E19BAB7588256E900061C3DC?opendocument

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2005/is_n2_v27/ai_14903073

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tnt.freylia.net
@PattiTheWicked -- considering the teenager in my story would probably have extremely stict religious parents, that kind of a place would probably be somewhere where she'd go. Ironically enough, part of the story will be that people freak out over her disappearing, so the bit about the girl disappearing one day definitely caught my attention. :Hail:

I'll probably take a few liberties with how the girl would leave town. The younger sister should drop her off somewhere like a train or bus station, or the church, at a time when nobody's there, or getting into the building isn't possible. Somewhere where she should be safe, but could be kidnapped from. (The younger sister goes out of her way to reassure everyone that she's safe, but then finds out she isn't and gets herself into quite a bit of danger trying to set things right.)

@Fern -- man, married at 12 and 15. That would be crazy. I still thought guys had cooties when I was 12. :tongue Although it begs the question, how old were their husbands? Where I live, you can't even get a job until you're 15, so the 12 year old girl would probably have to have a hubby a fair little bit older than her.

That definitely helps my reason for the girl running away hold up, odds are by the time she realizes she's pregnant, she's already ended things with the baby's father, or is about to. She'd be just out of high school, so it would probably seem normal for her to be marrying at that age, especially considering she's pregnant. She'd pretty much have to run away to get out of ending up in a shotgun wedding.

Those articles were some interesting reading, too, thanks for the links. :)

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
In the 50's there weren't many women working outside the home and I doubt the hiring age thing was a problem then. Some people still held their kids out of school so they could help work in the fields during those days. Large numbers of people never finished high school in the 50's.

The age of the husbands seemed to be anywhere from 2 to 10 years older than their wives. . .going on the people around here that I knew married young. My parents were 15/21. Divorce was still something you heard about occasionally, but didn't know that many folks that had gone through it. Most of the kids in school lived with both their biological parents, not like today. There was still a bit of stigma attached to adopted kids. Things were just different.

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tnt.freylia.net
Would many teenagers be going to high school and having an after school job? My main character (the pregnant teen's younger sister) has a motorcycle rather than a car, more or less just to piss her parents off. They weren't going to let her get the bike, so she got a job to pay for it herself. I was thinking of going with an after school job, maybe should I say she took a year off school to save up enough money for her bike? Or, she could've quit school for good, but went back after gettin fired from work. Hmmm . . .

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
I really don't know how you would work that. Just going on my knowledge of things as far back as I remember (I was born in the 50's) I can tell you most parents had WAY more control over their family than what you see today. If Dad said you wouldn't have a motorcycle, there was no question about it, you wouldn't have had a motorcycle. Same with jobs. Many parents wouldn't let their daughters work, except if they were working at home.

Being a car hop might have been a job for a teenager back then, in the event they had parents lenient enough to let them work weekends and after school. Most parents I knew would have died before letting their girl be a car hop. Reason we were always given was that it would give you a reputation of being a bit loose and made you more vulnerable to men making unsuitable remarks to you. Oddly enough while most of us couldn't wear makeup, etc. until we were 15/16 or so, the carhops in our area always wore thick makeup and suggestive clothing for the times. I'm sure that wasn't the case everywhere. I grew up in the country, small town life, so those living in cities may have different remembrances of the way things were.

I would think it might be easier to get by with if you did something like. . Dad doing a job for someone else and maybe holding her out of school to help him, or her helping him after school because they worked daylight hours. . .sunup to sundown so there would have been hours left after school. Then maybe the crop (or whatever) didn't bring in enough to pay Dad what was owed and he took the motorcycle as a portion of payment and she ended up with it that way.

Perhaps a grandparent could have given her the motorcycle or some situation where Dad didn't feel free to say No you can't have it.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
PattiTheWicked said:
She grew up in Chicago, and there was this one girl who ended up "in a family way" that just up and disappeared one day. The story was that she'd gone to visit a sister who lived somewhere else.

My mom WAS an unwed teenage mother (17 when she became pregnant and 18 when my sister was born) in the late 50's. Take the scenario and reverse it...that was mom's situation. She became pregnant and DID go to live with her sister...in CHICAGO.

Her mom was a very gentle and loving woman, but her dad was strict to the point of being obsessive and even abusive. Granny feared for mom's safety and the safety of the baby (not to mention the whispers and embarrasment), so she was sent away to live with her older sister. She didn't drive, no one would hire her because of her delicate condition and so her sister supported her. They shared a tiny apartment in Chicago and mom became a recluse. Even in a city that large, there were all the whispers, so mom rarely went out at all except to doctor appointments.

My sister was born in the "ER" hospital...Cook county. Mom was placed in a large ward with other not-so-well-off mothers and wasn't allowed any of her personal belongings. My aunt had to take everything with her that mom owned, even down to her jewelry.

The hospital tried and tried...almost forced her to give that baby up for adoption. They refused to let her see her baby for several days no matter how mom begged. According to mom, they almost had her convinced that they COULD force her to give her up because she was not married. My aunt, being several years older and much wiser, stepped in and refused to let them strongarm mom and so she kept my sister. I can't imagine my life if that hospital had suceeded in making mom give her up.

After my sister was born...several months later, mom returned to her home. Everyone's (the family's) attitude completely changed and my sister became the one thing that turned my grandfather from a hateful vile person into a soft, gentle loving man. There were, of course, whispers and snide remarks because it was a small town and mom had a very difficult time adjusting. Mom and my sister lived with Granny & Papaw until mom met and eventually married dad.

I agree that girls in the 50's had little and sometimes no control over their lives, even down to whether or not they were allowed to drive or have a job. At least that is the situation I know of from mom.

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tnt.freylia.net
@Fern -- and this is why I love you guys. :Hug2: I'll have to emphasize how strict her parents are even more, it's definitely going to be hard for her to get that bike. It might even make a decent place to start the story, it could set up the situation between her and her parents up nicely.

If the father was working as a lawyer, and was helping someone who was fairly poor, he might get the bike. He'd sell it before he ever let the women near it, although that wouldn't stop his youngest daughter from teaching herself to ride it when nobody's looking. Maybe he found out, and put the bike up for sale. The main character would have a boyfriend by then, although she'd be hiding that from her parents. If he bought the bike, then basically gave her the bike, that might work.

Or, maybe a car was bought for the two sisters to use, and the older sister owns it. The car could be sold, and the bike could be bought with the money they made off the car. The younger sister could work as a carhop to get the money to pay her sister back. She's more or less given up trying to make her parents happy, and she's gotten to the point where she's showing them how much better she was before.

@Carole -- thanks for telling us about your mom's situation. :) I haven't dug too deep into how the older sister will be, but she's definitely nowhere near as tough as her kid sister. If she wants to keep her child after everything that happens, and I'm guessing she probably would, she'd probably end up in a situation like your mom's. It's a good example, I'll definitely be reading it over a few dozen times before deciding on what happens to the sister. :)

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
Many times the baby would be passed off as the infant sibling of the birth mom. That would depend on your story though. People who lived in the country and didn't get out much might get by without anyone knowing for sure. During that time most people that even had cars had only one car for the family, so the mom didn't get out much.

I know when I was born, 18 months after my sister, some of the neighbors would talk about my parents new baby and others in the community thought they were talking about my sister. . had no idea mom had had another child.

Regarding the boyfriend buying the motorcycle and practically giving it to the younger sister. . . no respectable girl in those days would ever accept such a gift from a man/boyfriend. You accepted no expensive gifts and no "personal" gifts until you were married.

What about having an older brother who had gone into the army and let the sister use his motorcycle or car until he gets out? Wouldn't the Korean War have been going on about then. . .early 50's?

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Regarding the bike/car issue, my mom grew up in Texas in the 50s and got her license at age 14. She was allowed to use the family car to go to movies and the store, etc. I don't know if this will help, but I thought I'd toss it out there--the sister in your story might already have her license and be allowed to use the family car in a limited way, and could take her sister along secretly.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
TNT, another thing that sometimes happened was that the girl would disappear for a while and come back with a baby, a ring bought in a pawn shop, and a story about a husband who tragically died shortly after they were married. Everyone knew what was really going on, but sometimes there'd be an unspoken agreement to let the story stand.

Keep in mind that many of the child-protection provisions we have now simply didn't exist then, and that parents' authority, especially fathers', was darned near absolute. People might disapprove if you beat your children, for example, but were unlikely to intervene.

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tnt.freylia.net
@Fern -- that saves me the trouble of trying to find a car for the mother of the two sisters. :) I'm still not completely certain where the family will live, but they'll probably live in a rural area. Normally, did the mother borrow the father's car to get groceries and such, or would that be the man's job?

It's probably for the best that the boyfriend isn't a method for getting the bike. They end up breaking up half way through the story, so it would've been awfully tedious working out what would happen to the bike. Was jewelry (not a ring, but maybe a bracelet?) something that a boyfriend could give to his girlfriend, so long as it wasn't too pricey? I've never seen my main character without a little gold bracelet on her left wrist, not unless it's in the beginning of the story.

:Hail: I never even thought about the Korean War! I don't know much about it, but if Canada was involved in it, that would be a perfect way to explain the bike. Plus, I'm loving the idea of there being an older brother. He could've been the same way as my main character with his parents, and just finally up and left for the war, then was killed in action. His parents were furious with him leaving and so exasperated with him that they had a 'maybe he learned his lesson' attitude over his death. His father would, anyway. My main character would have a huge chip on her shoulder after that.

He'd have to die before the story starts, I'm guessing, because I've tenatively decided on the story starting somewhere from 56-58. I should adjust the ages of the parents a little, right now the mom was just a teenager (although a married one) when she had her two daughters, and unless I want to say she was 11 when she had her son, I oughta make her a little older. I'll go do some research on the war, too, this is an awesome twist. :) Thank you!

@Saanen -- I'm fairly sure both sisters will have her licenses already, the kid sister just won't ever be allowed to take the car. The oldest will be allowed to take it so long as daddy doesn't need it, she probably would have the same rules as your mom. :) The kid sister mainly needs a set of wheels to get away from the house before fights get violent. Her father isn't afraid to hit her, and she isn't afraid to hit him, but she won't let herself do it. When she thinks she might, she gets the hell out of the house. Borrowing the car in such a situation wouldn't go over too terribly well.

@Aconite -- hmmm. That kind of situation with coming home with a baby would probably be what the older sister would do if she kept the baby. Ironically enough, it wouldn't be too far from the truth, because I'm fairly sure the baby's father will end up dead by the end of the story.

I figured I'd end up having the father be fairly abusive with the younger daughter right from the start, and he probably wouldn't have a problem with hitting any of his children if they did the slightest thing wrong. The older sister just tried to keep her nose clean, but the brother and the youngest sister both weren't going to be bullied around by his fists. Or, the younger sister realized she just couldn't be perfect, gave up trying, then decided to be her brother.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
TheNightTerror said:
Normally, did the mother borrow the father's car to get groceries and such, or would that be the man's job?
It was rare for a family to have more than one car (at least where I grew up), just the ssame way it was rare to have more than one TV or one phone. And a lot of men refused to allow their wives to learn to drive, because it shamed a man to have a driving wife. How, I never understood.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
TheNightTerror said:
That's crazy! I can't see why you wouldn't let your wife drive, would you rather end being the family chauffeur? Funny how much things can change in a decade, my parents actually met in a drag race in the late '60's, mom was driving her car, my father was in another, they challenged her and she won. :hooray:

In my mom's family, a driving woman meant a woman with FAR too much freedom. They were in a very rural area. As far as I have heard, Granny rarely left the house without Papaw. If she did...like if she happened to go into town with a neighbor family, she had to account for her activities. Papaw usually did the shopping, down to the once a year outfit or shoes for the kids. (all 10 of them) Not surprisingly, all the girls left home right away as soon as they were old enough. The sister mom lived with had been in the WAVES or somehting like that, but was out and living in Chicago afterward. All the other sisters were "married off". Mom says that one of the reasons was that Papaw was just insanely strict. No lights were ever on in the evenings. When it was dark, it was time for bed. Period.

Fern

Registered
Reaction score
A cheap bracelet may have been okay. Charm bracelet perhaps? Not anything real gold. Anything the least bit expensive would only have been permissible in case of engagement.

Mom wouldn't have known how to drive the car in this area either, and certainly not the children. You might have an instance where they Mom had had polio or a broken foot or something that stopped her from driving and the daughter needed to learn to be able to take her to the doctor or something. I don't know what age license were available then, but most places is 16. Although, there is such a thing as a "hardship" license available at about 14 unless I'm mistaken.

Buying groceries and outings such as that were family outings. If the kids were old enough they may have stayed home alone while the parents went. Groceries were normally charged and the bill paid by the month. If you bought a big enough bill of groceries, many times the grocer would deliver them to your house.

Possible ways for people to get to town were to catch the school bus when it went by in the morning. . .time your return to coincide with the school bus' return trip in the evening. Might catch a ride with the grocer back into town.
If she needed a reasonable "lead" in getting out of town, she might catch the bus on the way in and they wouldn't expect her back until evening so she'd have those day time hours to get out of Dodge.

Shopping for clothing in those days was often done by catalog. The 60's were becoming a little looser as far as traveling around to shop. . .two cars in a family and that sort of thing.

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tnt.freylia.net
@Carole -- whew! 10 kids? That must've been hectic. Even if she had a driver's license, she probably would've been way too busy to go anywhere. I can't even imagine how crazy it would've been to try to take everyone out on a family outing. 12 people in one car . . . yikes!

My brother never lived with me, we only got reunited with him when he was 30, so I grew up more or less an only child. I can't even imagine what it would've been like with 9 siblings, all living under 1 roof. :scared:

@Fern -- hmmm. I'll have to watch that present that the main character gets. The bracelet would probably be gold, in my mind, it's always been a very thin, delicate looking yellow gold bracelet. Would it have been okay if the girl didn't realize how expensive the present was? Say, she was told it was silver, but it was really white gold? I have some white gold jewelry that's the exact same shade as my silver stuff, so it's very possible that my tomboy main character couldn't tell the difference.

For the girls getting their licenses, I guess I'd have to say that the mother would've fell ill when the father was out of town, so one of the girls had to learn to drive to get her to a doctor. But, that wouldn't get the youngest girl a motorcycle license. Hmmm. Someone would have to be tricked into signing the papers, probably. Around here you need to be 16 to get your license, I'm guessing it's been that way for quite a while.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
TheNightTerror said:
I have some white gold jewelry that's the exact same shade as my silver stuff, so it's very possible that my tomboy main character couldn't tell the difference.
Could her parents? They would definitely notice any piece of jewelry she started wearing, and would want to know where she got it. Strict parents probably wouldn't let her accept any jewelry at all from a boy--it had symbolic meanings beyond the monetary value.

Barnabas

Shelter for unwed mother

If you can get her on a bus to Miami, FL she could go into a small private home. There was a woman in the 50's who placed notices in the paper to help girls in this situation. She was a minister with a small congregation. The girls were placed in private homes (usually members of the congregation) and stayed there until the baby was born. This would be a "closed" adoption and the girls were encouraged to use a fake name. They did simple chores around the house to earn their keep. When delivery time came they went to a private hospital in Coral Gables, FL. The minister had a list of potential adoptive parents and the adoption was handled thru her with the assistance of a local (female) attorney. The adoptive parents paid all dr. and hospital expenses. The girl could stay in the hospital for up to 5 days and then could stay with the woman for an additional week. I think in your story the adoptive parents could pay her bus fare back to Canada.

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tnt.freylia.net
@Aconite -- very true. My main character will probably have to get the bracelet on a special occasion, like Christmas or her birthday, then say that her sister gave it to her. It wouldn't fly if she tried to say she bought it with her own money, even if she had a job, since she wasn't the kind to want jewelry. Hell, her parents might still get suspicious, considering a bracelet doesn't seem like a present anyone who knew her well would get her.

@Barnabas -- the home sounds perfect, the only problem is, I don't know how I would explain how a small town girl from British Columbia could hear about a home for girls in her situation in Florida. Plus, that's an awfully long way to go, it would be well over a week, (maybe even two or more) of being crammed on a bus with morning sickness. I don't think she'd want to attempt a trip like that. Although, I could use that Miami home as an example, and say there was one like it in Vancouver. It would probably be a good compromise. :)

Last edited:

Barnabas

Home for unwed mothers

Sorry, my brain didn't register that it was Vancouver, just Canada. That would be a trek. I do think the set up in Miami would be ideal for your situation if you could have her travel to maybe Seattle. I don't think it makes sense for her to stay in the same area. My guess is that there probably was such a home in Seattle. The person running it would have put a small ad in the Vancouver paper for "Girls in Trouble".

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tnt.freylia.net
@MadScientistMatt -- that would probably be the best way to go with the bracelet. In my experience, the coating flakes off before too long, but it looks real until then, so long as you don't look for the 10K stamp. The girl could just be told it's fake, just so she'll accept it and won't get shot by her parents.

@Barnabas -- actually, the family will live a little ways north of Vancouver, probably a ficticious town in place of where I live right now, which is a good 6 1/2 - 7 hour drive north of there. And that's with the newer, safer, highway through the Fraser Canyon. Even nowadays, you don't go to Vancouver unless you have a good reason, and you don't go more than a couple times a year.

I'm guessing that would've applied in the fifties as well, and the girl's parents know her well enough to know she never would've run that far to that large of a town without someone she trusted, and since all her friends were accounted for, they ended up assuming she was kidnapped. Getting into the States probably would've required a passport, and a teenaged girl crossing the border alone, without a car, might've raised enough eyebrows for her to be remembered.

But, enough rambling. :tongue I'll make a note of having Vancouver newspapers delivered to the small town somehow to make sure the older sister can see that 'girls in trouble' ad. :)

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Night Terror,

My mom was a teenager in the fifties in Vancouver, BC. I've sent you a PM, but please feel free to email me a list of your questions, which I'm sure she'd be happy to answer.

Hugs,
Chac/Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.