Disfigured face

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
I need an idea how to disfigure my protagonists love intrest. It's supposed to look bad enough to socially stigmatize him but not too bad (after all, she is supposed to fall in love with him)
Right now I'm working with one side of the face being heavily scarred. The reason is a deep facial cut he recieved during a childhood accident and an incompetent doctor who let the wound get infected and later added extra cuts to reduce the swelling (the story is fantasy/ the tech-level is somewhere between regency and victorian).

Does this sound plausible? How bad would the poor chap look afterwards?

Of course, I'm open for other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Collectonian

Inclined to eclectic eccentricity
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the MC, I guess, if the appearance would prevent her from falling in love with her. Many folks fall in love with guys other women look at and go "huh?" and wonder what the attraction is.

Even the Hulk found love ;-) I've read several novels where the male MC has some physical "flaw", like a scar down their face. Kay Hooper's character Bishop who is a featured character in her long running paranormal romance series is described as having a vivid "scar down left cheek from corner of eye almost to corner of mouth" that gets more prominent in appearance when he's ticked. In one of my MC's, my female character has a badly damaged eye from a psycho cutting her with a knife...male MC still falls in love with her, the person, not her the face.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
A birthmark like a port-wine stain is another possibility. I've seen a woman with one that covered half her face, literally like a drawn down the middle. Very red, almost to purple, and a bit of deformity in her facial features.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It's plausible. For simplicity's sake, I'd probably go with burn scarring on part of his face. That's easier to picture, imho.

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
All sorts of accidents (or attacks) might create a sufficiently terrible scar
I decided to change the story, now the disfigurement is the result of an angry factory worker spilling acid in his face (the worker actually aimed for the poor lads uncle) wich left one side of his face terribly scarred and one eye blind.
I think that would be easier to imagine (thanks for the hint, backslashbaby).

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
How about giving him a disease-related scarring - something that is usually associated with either the lower classes or some despised group?

Mark_Young

The creative AW noob.
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to change the story, now the disfigurement is the result of an angry factory worker spilling acid in his face (the worker actually aimed for the poor lads uncle) wich left one side of his face terribly scarred and one eye blind.
I think that would be easier to imagine (thanks for the hint, backslashbaby).

What kind of acid do you have in mind?

maggi90w1

CAVE!
Registered
Reaction score
What kind of acid do you have in mind?
HNO3... HCL... Fantasy-Acid...I don't know. Is it important? Do diffrent acid cause diffrent scarring?

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
What about smallpox scarring? That could get pretty dang disfiguring (if you're brave trying googling it.)

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
HNO3... HCL... Fantasy-Acid...I don't know. Is it important? Do diffrent acid cause diffrent scarring?

Yes, but the important thing is that different acids have different uses. The kind of acid would depend on what factory it was, which would influence the kind of work that was done, which would influence the kind of men that did it...

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Mark_Young

The creative AW noob.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but the important thing is that different acids have different uses. The kind of acid would depend on what factory it was, which would influence the kind of work that was done, which would influence the kind of men that did it...

Beat me to it. My mother worked at SI (Semiconductor) and she knew some workers who worked with some pretty dangerous stuff. One man in particular was nick-named "8 ball, the fat man" and he referred to himself as that. He worked in that department.

Don't remember what he worked with, but once I find out, you can look up burn wounds from that particular chemical. But different chemicals produce different kinds of scarring and wounding.

You can't just set him on fire?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/16/arts/music/16hadelich.html?scp=1&sq=violin burned&st=cse

Here's an article (with picture) about an extremely talented young violinist who has only recently regained use of his right hand after an accident in which he was burned by gasoline in a tractor accident.

(I looked up the article using the keywords "violin" and "burned," which is why they appear in the URL)

I figured that the idea behind an angry co-worker throwing acid on his face was interesting.

debirlfan

Registered
Reaction score
FYI - I don't know if you have any way to access it, but here in the US, there is currently a character "Brot" on the soap opera "All My Children" who is in real-life an Iraq war vet who survived very severe burns (including facial). I believe he was originally intended as a short-term character, but he's been popular enough that it appears he's staying. If you look him up, his real-life story is quite amazing - it was well publicized when he first started on the show.