PDA

View Full Version : Tech Q about AbsoluteWrite forum

RoseReifsnyder
01-31-2005, 01:24 AM
Can someone help me out? This is driving me nuts.

1 - Is there a way to automatically (and permanently) check the "Email me notification of all replies to this topic" box?

Thanks,
Rose

Lori Basiewicz
01-31-2005, 01:39 AM
I don't know if there is or not, but if there is and you did that, wouldn't you get an e-mail any time anyone posted a reply to any topic?

RoseReifsnyder
01-31-2005, 01:46 AM
No, it's actually a very cool and useful feature!

I manually click the box after every post (see it down there in posting options?), and then receive a note in my inbox telling me when someone responds to THIS post! The benefit is that it keeps tabs on all my posts for me.

For example, I'm here right now because I got an e-mail telling me you (well, someone) responded.

Rose

ElizabethJames
01-31-2005, 02:09 AM
We like that feature too, but usually forget to check it.

L

RoseReifsnyder
01-31-2005, 02:27 AM
Drat, so you haven't figured out how to automatically check it either.

Where are all the techies? I wonder if I should post this on the technical writing forum....

Rose

MacAllister
02-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Just wanted to bring this up to the top. If ya'll have questions, etc...I'll either try to answer, or I'll chase down someone with better sense--I mean, greater knowledge--than me.

Rose
02-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi everyone, I love this new home because it's very easy to set your preferences.

Here's how to automatically set whether you receive an email notification when somebody has responded to your post:

1 - Log in to AbsoluteWrite
2 - Click "User CP" under the word Forums at the top of the page
3 - Click "edit options" in the Control Panel pane
4 - Choose the "Default Thread Description Mode" that makes you happy

There's lots of other options to set here, too, such as whether you want to be invisible or receive email from the administrators.

Have fun setting your preferences!
Rose

maestrowork
02-13-2005, 10:06 AM
Another cool trick. Under the "Quick Links" tab (on the top bar), there are some of the most commonly used items. One of them is "New Posts"...

Have you ever glanced through the whole site and wondered, so many things... I just want to read the newest stuff!

Now you can. Just click on "New Posts" and it will give you a list of all the newest posts (since you last visited, I believe). The bold-faced ones are the ones you haven't read yet. It lists the topics, who posted the thread, and in what forums they are...

Neat, isn't it? Now you don't have to wade through the whole site.

JanaLanier
02-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Would someone explain to me the whole points thingy? I gave some, I got some, but what does it Mean? Can I give as many points as I want to?

edited to note: Found the answers on another thread. Sorry. Me are a tad thickheaded sometimes.

CindyBidar
02-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Anyone know why sometimes-in a long thread-I jump right to the newest post (at the bottom) and sometimes I start out at the top of the page? I know I can click on the link at the top to go to the newest post, I'm just curious why sometimes it's automatic and other times it's not. :Shrug:

Cindy

maestrowork
02-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Cindy, I think it depends on where you click... if you click on the thread subjecdt itself, it puts you on the first page by default. If you click on the little ">" by the newest poster, or the (last page link), or something, it will take you directly to the past page. I think you can also set your user profile to display threads bottom up instead of top down.

As for the points, Jenna explained it in another thread. They're called reputation. If someone find your posts helpful and they respect your opinions (hint, hint...) you can give them reputation points. You can only give the same person points after you've given 10 other people points (that is to prevent people from fraudulently awarding points to their friends and family). Most people have enough points (10) to start with good standing. People can take away your points if they find you mean, unhelpful, rude, etc. So your points can go negative if you continue to be a bad influence on this board. I think the reputation point is to help the community to self regulate.

When you have posted over 50 times and attained over 10 reputation points, you will become a Super User (something like the "Board Regular" on the old board) and will have more features (like your own custom avatar) available to you.

CindyBidar
02-13-2005, 08:47 PM
One more thing I just noticed--every time someone posts, their post count is increased, but the increase is noted on all their posts, so the first post shows the current number of posts, not "1." Hmmm...

Cindy

maestrowork
02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Cindy, yes, that's different from the old board. But I like it. I never really understood the point of different post counts in different posts (like, why should I care if that post was this person's #1203 post, and that one was #1305). I'd rather know that person has posted a total of 5020 so he's quite active in this community...

MacAllister
02-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Heh--if you click on the list of currently active members at the bottom left of the page, it takes you to a page that tells you where everyone is...

I think Paprika pointed out that it feels a little illicit--like living without any curtains.

aka eraser
02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Heh--if you click on the list of currently active members at the bottom left of the page, it takes you to a page that tells you where everyone is...

I think Paprika pointed out that it feels a little illicit--like living without any curtains.

<insert leering smiley here> ;)

maestrowork
02-14-2005, 09:01 PM
I don't have curtains. And my neighbors have never been friendlier.

:Sun:

CindyBidar
02-15-2005, 05:33 AM

Just now one of the "members" viewing a thread was the Ask Jeeves Spider. Does that creep anyone else out as much as it does me? http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/paranoid1.gif

maestrowork
02-15-2005, 10:29 PM
I now see that we have a quick reply button in every post. Very handy.

reph
02-15-2005, 11:37 PM
I now see that we have a quick reply button in every post. Very handy.

I'm testing it now. It brings up a reply page, but no quicker than the other way. What is this feature, exactly?

CindyBidar
02-16-2005, 01:01 AM
I think the idea is that you don't have to leave the page to reply, but you also have fewer options. If you click on the Go Advanced button, though, it will take you to the full reply page with all the bells and whistles and whirlygigs.

maestrowork
02-16-2005, 01:16 AM
I'm testing it now. It brings up a reply page, but no quicker than the other way. What is this feature, exactly?
I think in case you don't want to "quote" anything, and you just want to reply to the post when you're reading it, it drops you down to the bottom of the page (Quick Reply) and you can start typing, without having to scroll down to the bottom and hit that "Post Reply" button.

reph
02-16-2005, 12:22 PM
On further investigation, the Quick Reply button duplicates the Quote button. Hovering over either of them produces the same text for "Link: blah blah" at the bottom of the screen.

maestrowork
02-16-2005, 08:19 PM
You're right... that's odd since they clearly carry out two different functions.

ChunkyC
02-16-2005, 09:07 PM
I like being able to click on a person's name and get a menu of things you can do, such as send them a message or view their profile, etc. Nice feature.

ChunkyC
02-16-2005, 09:11 PM
Now this is interesting. You know how you sometimes like to respond to a long post, possibly quote sections of it?

Well, if you click on the number at the top right of the post (#25 or whatever), a new window (or tab in Firefox!!) will open containing just that single post. You can then go back to the original window/tab, click reply, and be able to jump back and forth as you compose your reply.

Neat, eh?

MacAllister
02-16-2005, 09:14 PM
it is cool, CC--That's how I'm linking back the broken html in the Uncle Jim archives, too--it's a great feature!

ChunkyC
02-16-2005, 09:35 PM
I just noticed that clicking on an avatar brings up the person's profile. No need to click on their name first.

There's just so much to this new interface that is well thought out. What a fabulous choice for our new home, Jenna!

reph
02-16-2005, 11:21 PM
You're right... that's odd since they clearly carry out two different functions.

Are you sure they do? I can't detect any difference between their functions. I think they're redundant and one of them might as well be removed.

maestrowork
02-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Are you sure they do? I can't detect any difference between their functions. I think they're redundant and one of them might as well be removed.

I'm pretty sure. The "Quote" button takes you to another window with the full editor, with the original posts already filled in as a quote. The "Quick Reply" button takes you to the bottom of the SAME page where you can quickly type in a reply... you can also click the []Quote original message check box, or use the Advance button to launch the full editor.

So they're two different things. Perhaps it's the same for you because you're using a barebone version (no icons, no advance editor, etc.)?

triceretops
02-17-2005, 08:11 PM
I don't want to be an alarmist, but can somebody tell me what happened to my little red triangle--the insignia that indicates bad posting? I mean, it's not like I'm dejected the thing went away but why just me, and what's up?

Triceratops

maestrowork
02-17-2005, 08:21 PM
You won't see a triangle in your own post because you can't report your own post as bad post.

You can, of course... in real life, but this board won't allow you.

reph
02-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Maestro, the two buttons produce exactly the same reply page for me. On both, the post I'm replying to is quoted in the typing window. The bare-bones setup may explain it, I don't know.

Tri, the Report Bad Post triangle is missing from one's own posts. In a perfect world, one would report one's bad posts. In this one, however, there's no need for it.

maestrowork
02-18-2005, 12:24 AM
Reph, I think it's just you. :-) I think it must have something to do with your barebone set up, or the browser you're using. What browser and operating system are you using?

(When I'm no the Mac Powerbook the editors don't work well on Safari. But once I switched to Firefox, they're okay.)

(I still don't have Mod function. I think CC and Jenna are looking at it)

ChunkyC
02-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Still no mod power, Ray? Okay, I guess I'll try removing you as a mod, then reinstating you, see if that fixes it up. Can't make it worse if it ain't working anyway.

Bebacksoon....

ChunkyC
02-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Done. Lemme know, Ray.

maestrowork
02-18-2005, 03:06 AM
OK, CC, now I have mod power. But the menu is on the top, under Forum Tools. I still don't have the drop down at the bottom. But I can deal with that.

I AM ALL POWERFUL AGAIN. BWUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

BWUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Wait... no, I'm just a lowly mod... crap.

:gone:

ChunkyC
02-18-2005, 03:20 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteHuh.gif you mean the blue bar across the bottom that should have the word Mod in it along with Contact Us - Absolute Write, etc., that's not there? Or just Mod is missing from the bar?

At least we've made some progress.

maestrowork
02-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Nope. No mod in that blue bar along with "Contact Us" etc. But I do have some menu items in the "Forum Tools" menu. But nothing else.

Weird, isn't it?

reph
02-18-2005, 05:48 AM
Mac iBook with OS 9.0 and IE 5.0.

JennaGlatzer
02-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Ray: When you're in SYW, there's no Mod link?

Reph: Very peculiar. The two links should function just as Ray said-- the "quick reply" is meant to just take you to the bottom of the page to fill out a text-only form, whereas the quoting icon should take you to a new screen with the full editing capacity.

Birol
02-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Ray, just want to confirm, you're going all the way to the bottom, aren't you? It's at the very bottom of the screen.

(No insult intended or implied with this post. Just double-checking because I'm anal that way.)

JennaGlatzer
02-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Changed a setting. You still weren't categorized primarily as a mod. Now see if it works.

Joe Calabrese
02-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Is it me or did the forum go down for two hours early this evening and yesterday and the day before?

Pthom
02-18-2005, 06:15 AM
I see the bar at the bottom...but there's no "Mod" in it...

maestrowork
02-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Nope, nothing. The last control on the screen (at the bottom) is Forum Jump, then it's the blue bar with
Contact Us (sendmessage.php) - Absolute Write (../) - Archive (archive/index.php) - Top (newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=104469#top)

I tried with IE as well as Firefox. Nothing. Like I said, I do have the "View Post Queue" stuff at the top under Forum Tools. But not at the bottom.

Mystery. Mystery.

JennaGlatzer
02-18-2005, 06:18 AM
Check in your own forum: I *think* the mod link should be at the bottom there.

(Other mods who are not Super-Mods: am I right? Or is it only a link on the bottom for the Super-Mods?)

Pthom
02-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Jenna: I assumed I would only see it in my forum...but I don't :(

JennaGlatzer
02-18-2005, 06:20 AM
No, that was strictly in your imagination.

Your imagination, I tell you!

Now look at this shiny light so I can erase your memory banks...

Pthom
02-18-2005, 06:25 AM
What I do see is that under "Forum Tools" in an upper bar, there are some tools: Move thread, delete thread, etc...which aren't in other forums--only my own.

Is that it?

I wanna have power! I wanna beat, burn, and create havoc!

heh heh heh

JennaGlatzer
02-18-2005, 06:26 AM
I tweaked again. Any difference?

Pthom
02-18-2005, 06:28 AM
nope

reph
02-18-2005, 10:59 AM
"Reph: Very peculiar. The two links should function just as Ray said..."

Jenna, both buttons take me to a new page–the same new page.

Dawno
02-18-2005, 08:33 PM
I believe I could just go to my own profile and do this but on another board I visit it's a feature at the top of the forum listings to view your own posts. That way I can do a quick check of any replies and not have subscriptions to threads piling up in my inbox.

edit: ok, just clicked on my username and there in the handy drop down box is 'find other posts by Dawno' :o