PDA

View Full Version : Two silly querying questions

cscarlet
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere else. I tried searching for other posts, but I was apparently not using the correct word-combination.

Question #1: If the query guidelines (or an agent's blog) do not list a preference, what do you put in the SUBJECT line of the email?

"Query - Genre - Title" perhaps?
"Query - Genre" only?
Other?

Question #2: I think I'm finally happy with my 2 page synopsis, so I started working on my "3-5 page synopsis" ... but when I made it double-spaced (like I've read multiple places to do for a longer synopsis) it becomes almost 4 pages (duh).

Does this mean my 2 page synopsis and my 3-5 page synopsis are essentially the same? (Obviously I realize if someone says "exactly 3 pages" or "exactly 5 pages" this point becomes moot, but I've mostly seen "3-5" and wanted to make sure I wasn't being a total idiot about this).

Thank you!!! :D

jclarkdawe
04-29-2010, 09:38 PM
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere else. I tried searching for other posts, but I was apparently not using the correct word-combination.

Question #1: If the query guidelines (or an agent's blog) do not list a preference, what do you put in the SUBJECT line of the email?

"Query - Genre" only?
Other?
As long as you put in "query," it doesn't make a lot of difference. Personally I'd put in "query - genre - title - word count" and save the agent the problem of opening the thing if I sent it to the wrong one (i.e., I didn't read things quite correctly).

Question #2: I think I'm finally happy with my 2 page synopsis, so I started working on my "3-5 page synopsis" ... but when I made it double-spaced (like I've read multiple places to do for a longer synopsis) it becomes almost 4 pages (duh).

Does this mean my 2 page synopsis and my 3-5 page synopsis are essentially the same? (Obviously I realize if someone says "exactly 3 pages" or "exactly 5 pages" this point becomes moot, but I've mostly seen "3-5" and wanted to make sure I wasn't being a total idiot about this).

This is why I like the 1,000 word synopsis. Single-spaced and working with the margins, I can fit it into two pages, double-space it up to four pages, and increase the margins a bit and get it to five. One synopsis fits three different sizes. How cool is that?

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

cscarlet
04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks Jim, you're the best! :)
(Thank the squirrels for me too)

Stanmiller
04-29-2010, 09:47 PM

"Query - Genre" only?
Other?

C,

If the agent doesn't specify, 'Query-Title-Agent Name' works well if you save all your emails. That lets you sort them in alphabetical order, or by send date either one. I use that with all email queries.

I have researched (but not queried) over three hundred agents that rep my genre (suspense/thriller). I haven't yet run across an agent yet that wanted more than a one page synopsis.

Do you have an agent that wants longer ones?

--Stan

justAnotherWriter
04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
I've always used "Query: TITLE" unless otherwise specified, and it's worked well.

With the synopsis I've always taken liberties. First I wrote the tightest, best synopsis I could, word count be damned. Then I cramed that into whatever the agent asks for. If I couldn't do so reasonably, then I trimmed it (which always hurt it, but what can you do).

The thing is, most agents who ask for a synopsis (and in my experience it's like 2% of them) want you to paste it in the body of the email. In the body of the email...where there are no pages. :)

cscarlet
04-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks so much!

Stan, that's a good point. I'm querying all YA agents and I've made a little spreadsheet of their query requirements. On my list, about a third want "1-2 page synopsis" and one agent wants a "2 page synopsis." The rest either don't mention wanting one with the query, or just simply say "include a synopsis."

If they don't specify length, what length should I send? Does it matter? (crossing fingers because I like my 2 page best! :D LOL)

katiemac
04-29-2010, 10:59 PM
I was going to say send whichever you like better--but looks like that is your 2-page version.

However, I do think shorter is better.

Stanmiller
04-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks so much!

Stan, that's a good point. I'm querying all YA agents and I've made a little spreadsheet of their query requirements. On my list, about a third want "1-2 page synopsis" and one agent wants a "2 page synopsis." The rest either don't mention wanting one with the query, or just simply say "include a synopsis."

If they don't specify length, what length should I send? Does it matter? (crossing fingers because I like my 2 page best! :D LOL)

With the 2 pager, you can do what Jim does, adapt to fit whatever length you need.

--Stan

Drachen Jager
05-05-2010, 02:15 AM
I hate writing synopses... But I thought at least I was done until last week. Now I need to do a ten page synopsis. Seriously who needs a ten page synopsis, just read the damn book already! ;)

PoppysInARow
05-05-2010, 05:29 AM
When I query I usually put in "Query for Ms/Mr_____" to let them know that it's personalized and the query is for them. Also, if I send it to the wrong place by accident, it can be easily forwarded.

My $0.02