FBI: Agents, File Access, and Methodology

SKetcher

Registered
Reaction score
So, I have a couple of questions, all related.
I'm assuming that the FBI can search their records via computer and database. Is this assumption correct?
Secondly, how are the records presented to Agents? If a record or file is sealed, what does the agent see? I would assume sealed or not the Agent could access the information, but it seems like the state of the file would presented in some form or fashion.

I've done the usual google-net research, but haven't been able to get the specifics I need. Anyone out there able to fill in some details for me?

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. Remember that computer records are often just that, records. Not the actual file, b ut a 'file list' telling you where to find the paper file.

Computer kept records are fairly recent, and for anything older than about 10 years (and sometimes sooner) you'll have to look at paper files and find it manually.

Also, not everyone has access to everything. Depending on your clearance, the files status etc. Not every agent can access every file.

eurodan49

Banned
Reaction score
FBI (like other gov agencies) has a huge database accessible on screen. There is even a larger one on paper or microfilm. Files are upgraded or downgraded but on a “need to” basis.
To view a file, an agent would enter data (like a criminal’s name), and do a search. Sometimes, for classified files, he would be denied access. The agent would go to his supervisor with a request (stating why he seeks access) and the sup may use his clearance to view the data. If the sup is also denied, he would go up the ladder, to regional or even higher (explaining all the way why he wants access). Sometimes it’s granted, sometimes not. Depends. Sometimes the right department (which handles info relevant to that specific file) would call the agent who originated the search, ask him why, ask to see his information (which might be a new discovery of facts) and a special agent (with proper clearance) would take over. Very seldom would the original agent be asked to step in and work with the info contained in a “classified” file. Others would be taking over.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, SKetcher. Some interesting responses here... ;) If you need specifics, please feel free to PM me (some detailed info regarding your scenario would be helpful). I'm a former LE federal agent of another DOJ agency (and still a current employee) but would be happy to help. It's not all that complicated--and quite boring actually! :)