Need a story from the Book of Mormon...

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all

I am working on a WIP with a Mormon character who thinks of herself as being a bit of a "bad seed" -- a trouble-maker even though she doesn't really intend to be. She has good intentions, but her curiosity and need for experimentation constantly lead her into situations that cause trouble for herself and others.

I want to make an allusion to a "bad seed" story in the Book of Mormon, but I am not familiar enough with it to know where to start looking. I think a comparison to Laman might be too heavy-handed. Her badness is more unintentional, though it often leads to rebellion against her family.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

CoLiamPet

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the sect but, if your char is a fundamentalist, you could have them befriend an African-American. The FLDS is now on the "hate groups" list for racism.

Warren Jeffs, former President of the FLDS (2002-2007), has said, "the black race is the people through which the devil has always been able to bring evil unto the earth." That's a real quote and many followers still believe this to be true.

Would make for an interesting setup. There's a great video on Youtube if you want the low down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZ1jVO3-OE

Just a thought, good luck.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but I've already got my plot well defined and I'm not interested in the FLDS church or in exploring racism with this book. I'm looking specifically for an opportunity for my religious character to compare herself to a trouble-maker from the Book of Mormon -- something where she can say, "I'm just like Laman..." but I still think Laman might be too strong a comparison.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I read it, but you might want to look at "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jonathan Krakauer.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Once again, this is what I am looking for: stories from the Book of Mormon about a character who is bad.

It doesn't have to be a female character. Under the Banner of Heaven is an awesome book, but it's about a relatively recent murder case and how it relates to the history and founding of the church. (Actually, anybody who is interested in reading about the history and founding of the LDS church should also read The Refiner's Fire by John L. Brooke...it's fascinating.)

I am trying to write a scene in which my character, a young Mormon woman who is religious but struggles with her impulses, compares herself to a "bad person" from the Book of Mormon. I'll give some examples -- if I were writing this book from the perspective of a young non-Mormon Christian woman who was struggling with her need for proof, she might compare herself to Thomas the Apostle, who needed to feel Jesus' wounds before he would believe that Christ had risen. If I were writing this book from the perspective of a young non-Mormon Christian woman who was struggling with the feeling that she had betrayed somebody important, she might compare herself to Judas Iscariot.

Yes, I could use an example from the Bible since Mormons use the Bible as well as other texts in worship, but in order to convey the right tone, I'm looking for a character from the Book of Mormon or one of the supplemental Mormon texts for this comparison.

Surely there IS more than one example of "how not to behave" in the Book of Mormon? Laman isn't the only bad guy, right? It's been over a decade since I've read the Book of Mormon so my memory is not serving well.

I truly do appreciate folks' attempts to help me, and I'm not trying to be a bitch.

MAP

Registered
Reaction score
I think Laman and Lemuel are the best examples.

The only other bad seed that I can think of is Alma the younger, but he has a vision of angels and is struck dumb for three days I think, then becomes a great prophet. Although before the vision, he was quite the bad seed.

Feel free to PM me directly if you have any other questions.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I think alma the younger might be one of your best bets. It's been far to long since I read my book of Mormon and I'm having trouble remembering the stories.

I believe it was Nehor who was a lazy impulsive man. He started a new church and went around preaching for money, doing whatever he wanted whenever he wanted.

Gideon was chastising him about it and Nehor got angry and struck him, which killed him. He was then stoned to death for murder.

Depends on the sect but, if your char is a fundamentalist, you could have them befriend an African-American. The FLDS is now on the "hate groups" list for racism.

Warren Jeffs, former President of the FLDS (2002-2007), has said, "the black race is the people through which the devil has always been able to bring evil unto the earth." That's a real quote and many followers still believe this to be true.

Would make for an interesting setup. There's a great video on Youtube if you want the low down. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZ1jVO3-OE

Just a thought, good luck.

The FLDS actually don't even have the Book of Mormon as scripture anymore. And unless I'm mistaken they also don't use the bible, the whole religion hinges on what the leader says is true since they have no written scripture.

Canotila

Sever your leg please.
Registered
Reaction score
The FLDS actually don't even have the Book of Mormon as scripture anymore. And unless I'm mistaken they also don't use the bible, the whole religion hinges on what the leader says is true since they have no written scripture.

Yeah, the FLDS and LDS are as different as night and day.

How educated is she in scripture? Has she gone to/is attending seminary or institute? If she just knows the basics, she's going to think of Laman and Lemuel and not many of the others.

Honestly, Laman and Lemuel might be your best shot. That story and the story of Alma the younger are the only two that are centered around family problems arising from one or more members not following commandments. Most of the other "bad seeds" are a lot more corrupt, like the Gadianton robbers who assassinate people, or the priests of Noah who kidnap girls that are just dancing and minding their own business.

My husband was the rebellious child growing up, and he says he always thought of himself as like Laman and Lemuel, and his brother like Nephi, even though he never actively tried to hurt his brother like they did.

Libbie

Registered
Reaction score
Alma the Younger might be just right. Hmmm.... I need to find my Book of Mormon. It's in my storage unit somewhere.

My character is about 23 and is well versed in scripture. I'll give it some more thought and see what happens.

Thanks for your help, guys!