PDA

View Full Version : Hockey fans?

eventidepress
04-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Any other hockey fans out there? Penguins fan here! But since we're already on our next round, I'm watching the Red Wings v. Coyotes game at the moment. Oh man, intense.
Naturally, I want the Coyotes to win... They're still down 2-1 though *bites nails*

Chumplet
04-28-2010, 06:44 AM
HEEELLLLLLOOOOOOOO!!!! Need I say more????
Hockey fan since 7 years old. Cut my teeth on the Habs and now cry with the Leafs. Love the Original Six, did my time as a hockey mom (2 years) & wrote a hockey romance.

Mom got Rocket Richard's autograph when I was born (he visited the hospital) & then lost it. Grrrr....

Of course I'd like to see the Habs go far in the playoffs, then I'd root for any Canadian team (except Ottawa, thank goodness). Then any original six, then any underdog. I'm not TOO fussy.

eventidepress
04-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Mom got Rocket Richard's autograph when I was born (he visited the hospital) & then lost it. Grrrr....

Damn!!! That would have been an awesome b-day present!
Just after Mario Lemieux signed with Pittsburgh, before he really spoke English at all, he visited the zoo to sign autographs for kids, and changed in my dad's office at the aquazoo. And Dad didn't think to get an autograph cause "he left his jersey at home." OMG fail.
... I really don't think I'm going to get to see the Wings eliminated :( it's now 4-1 *wince*
I gotta say, I'm glad the Sharks made it in though. I don't follow too many west coast teams, but I like them... I feel you on the Leafs pain :/ They are my second favorite team (I decided this at age 8 because I thought their uniforms were pretty. What can I say, I'm biased over strange things?)
I was pretty much raised on hockey too, Dad started taking me to games and teaching me to heckle the refs at age 6 >.> But he wouldn't let me swear of course, so we made up insults to yell like "BUY SOME GLASSES, REF." Yeah, I was a jerk even at 6, wooo.

Xelebes
04-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Kinda ya, but I have to wait a few more years to get excited again. *sigh*

Silver King
04-29-2010, 03:52 AM
I moved this thread here from Office Party, where hopefully other fans will join the discussion.

Old joke alert: I went to a boxing match once, and a hockey game broke out.

DeborahM
04-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Absolutely!!

I live near Dallas so the Stars are local. I root for my favorites, Phoenix, Chicago, just to name a couple...and let's not forget Nashville! Ole 22!

The playoffs are breath holding!

Silver King
04-30-2010, 05:23 AM
Did the Habs really beat the Caps after being down three to one in the series?

Funny how before the playoffs ever started, it appeared Washington was going to be awarded the Cup based upon perceptions alone. Good thing that never happened.

blacbird
05-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Hoo aboot them Canadiens, eh? Our local boy made good Scott Gomez now plays for les habitants.

caw

Newyorkknicks07
05-02-2010, 03:53 AM
Big Devils fan!

Although I admit I haven't watched as many games as I would've liked to this season.

Chumplet
05-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Habs (yay) & Vancouver (yay) still in it. I favour Boston over Philly, and San Jose over Detroit.

euclid
05-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Over here, hockey is played on a field with sticks shaped like a "J" and a small, hard ball. Mostly, it's played in girls' schools, but I believe some men play it too.

PS Football over here is played by people who hit a ball with their feet. Touching it with their hands is verboten (apart from the goal-keeper). The clue's in the name.

Silver King
05-31-2010, 06:48 AM
What? No word yet on the finals?

I'm going with Chicago because, well, I just can't stand Philly, its fan base nor the city itself.

Now if that doesn't bring on reprisals or general discussion, there's simply no hope left for this thread.

Go Blackhawks!

cray
06-01-2010, 11:58 PM
What? No word yet on the finals?

I'm going with Chicago because, well, I just can't stand Philly, its fan base nor the city itself.

Now if that doesn't bring on reprisals or general discussion, there's simply no hope left for this thread.

Go Blackhawks!

:mad:

remember when i said i was going to buy you a beer, dino? :e2teeth:

Silver King
06-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Poor Philly. Down two nuthin and not a hope in the world to come back and win the Cup.

KTC
06-02-2010, 06:06 AM
HAWKS HAWKS HAWKS. in four.

Haggis
06-02-2010, 06:24 AM
There are no hockey playoffs this year.

Hathor
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Capitols fan here. They broke my heart, once again, in the playoffs.

But at least they make the playoffs. I'm a Nationals fan too, and I am getting tired of us getting the top draft pick every year.

latourdumoine
01-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Would someone be kind enough and take me under their wings and sort of coach me through this season? Please? Don't kill me but I just discovered the sport after moving here and I really do love it. But I also have so much catching up to do and I want to surprise some of my friends so we don't have to sit through any more games with one eye on the game and the other on the other person while they're patiently trying to explain what on earth is going on. I'm thinking PM would be best but if anyone has any other ideas, I'm open. :)

ETA I might have some scenes about high school hockey teams (in the Minnesota area) in a WIP. Anyone out there willing to answer some questions I might have if I decide to go ahead with this? Such as coaching teams (in high school and earlier), the games themselves etc.

Haggis
01-04-2011, 05:27 AM
Believe it or not, this subforum and this thread too are about writing about sports. So it's the perfect place to ask your questions. If anybody gives you any problems about that, just let me know and I'll see if the fish can arrange for them to spend two minutes in the penalty box for high sticking.

Undercover
01-04-2011, 05:40 AM
Okay, so I am a hockey mom and I watch hockey with the hubby and son, every time they have it on and that's alot. Two out of three novels I wrote have a character playing hockey and I think my son will be a pro some day (a mom can dream, right?) Oh, and GO HAWKS!!!!

Does that mean, I'm a hockey fan??? What do u think?

Great thread, by the way!!!

GO HAWKS!
(hada say it one more time.)

Haggis
01-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Does that mean, I'm a hockey fan??? What do u think?

Not if you keep saying "Go Hawks!"

Go Wings. :D

latourdumoine
01-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Believe it or not, this subforum and this thread too are about writing about sports. So it's the perfect place to ask your questions. If anybody gives you any problems about that, just let me know and I'll see if the fish can arrange for them to spend two minutes in the penalty box for high sticking.

That has got to be the sweetest welcome ever, thanks. :) And here's the first stupid question, is high sticking when you hit someone (more or less) by accident?

There's gonna be a bunch of them, so here goes the first batch.
1. At what age do kids usually start ice hockey? I'm assuming there's a little league of sorts. And what qualifications do you need to be a coach for the little league, junior high and high school teams respectively?
2. Can anyone suggest a good comprehensive site to track high school games, so I can get an idea? I'm asking my friends here and I'm in touch with a sports school here (sports teams in schools aren't normally as pronounced as in the States. I remember that being a culture shock when we moved to Europe in junior high) but I'm in Finland so things might be slightly different. So far I'm looking at:

http://www.ushsho.com/
http://www.ishl.org/
http://www.mshsl.org/mshsl/activitypage.asp?actnum=410

3. If you were an ice hockey player in high school, would that have the same prestige as a football jock, from the students' point of view and where the community is concerned (one high school I went to, the football team was so bad, no self-respecting guy would even think of joining, so it was soccer and basketball, hence the idea)? And what about cheerleaders?
4. Does anyone have a good link to ice hockey videos on youtube concerning games?

This is mainly boys. Not sure if they would let a guy coach a girls' team.

That's it for now. Thanks in advance.

darrtwish
04-22-2011, 08:04 AM
Die hard hockey fan, here. I'll watch any level of hockey, any time. Huge leafs fan, despite parents being habs fans and wings fans. I'm also a die-hard Windsor Spitfire fan, and prefer junior hockey over pro hockey.

latourdumonie my answers to your questions:
1. Anywhere from two to six years old, usually. Most parents I know taught their kids to skate on back yard ponds or local arenas as soon as their kids could walk.
I think so. I don't actually know for sure. Hockey Canada has this on their website about coaching "Hockey Canada’s National Coach Certification Program (NCCP) is a competency-based program. The program enables coaches to build their coaching tools and knowledge of the game, so they can work effectively with their players." High school is more relaxed, generally. At least around here. My high school's coach was someone who'd played hockey as a kid, and plays regularly now. I think it depends on how sports-focused the school is.
2. The only news source I've ever known for high school hockey was the local radio, so I can't really help you with that.
3. Again, it depends on the school and how much focus there is on sports. At my high school it was pretty much an insult if the only hockey team you could make was the high school team, as the team was terrible for the majority of the years I was there. If you played for a local team, such as a "farm team" for a local junior hockey team (two levels below pro) then you had a bit more status. No cheerleaders at hockey games.There way arenas are designed, there's no real room at the arenas, not to mention cold to most, and silly notion really...the people who went were there to watch the hockey game or the fights.
4. Nope, sorry. Try youtubing team names and see what comes up, though.

Xelebes
04-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I still loathe cheerleaders at the NHL level. Ugh. Even the Oilers have them.

Bubastes
05-11-2011, 08:24 PM
What, no hockey chatter in weeks?

How 'bout them Red Wings? :D

Haggis
05-11-2011, 08:31 PM
What, no hockey chatter in weeks?

How 'bout them Red Wings? :D
*grabs Bubastes and dances 'round and 'round* :D

robeiae
05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
*high-sticks Haggis*

Silver King
05-12-2011, 03:02 AM
Go Lightening! :Thumbs:

(Pretty sure Boston is going to hand it to them in the next series, but Tampa has a come a long, long way since being in the cellar the past few seasons.)

Haggis
05-12-2011, 03:04 AM
Go Lightening! :Thumbs:

(Pretty sure Boston is going to hand it to them in the next series, but Tampa has a come a long, long way since being in the cellar the past few seasons.)
SK, did you see what Robovowels did to me? How about giving him two minutes in the penalty box?

Silver King
05-12-2011, 03:24 AM
SK, did you see what Robovowels did to me? How about giving him two minutes in the penalty box?
Did he draw blood? If so, we could be looking at a major penalty.

Like so many refs in the league, I miss the most obvious infractions...

Haggis
05-12-2011, 03:37 AM
Did he draw blood? If so, we could be looking at a major penalty.

Like so many refs in the league, I miss the most obvious infractions...
Nah. I'm far too tough for that. But his intent was evil and it was a cheap shot.

robeiae
05-13-2011, 04:23 AM
*boards Haggis while SK is talking to the timekeeper*

ETA: I'm a regular Todd Bertuzzi...

Haggis
05-13-2011, 05:47 AM
*drives butt of stick into Robovowel's midsection...slashes his ankle*

I'm a regular Chris Osgood. :D

Xelebes
05-14-2011, 04:39 AM
*slewfoots Haggis*

I'm a regular Bryan Marchment.

Xelebes
05-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Derek "Boogeyman" Boogaard just passed away in Minneapolis. He was 28. Known for being a lethal enforcer on the ice, he was also a big community supporter. He played 277 games, 255 of those for the Minnesota Wild.

Haggis
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Geeze. Still a kid.

CarrieAnn
05-22-2011, 03:52 AM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm a huge Jackets fan. ;)

Xelebes
05-25-2011, 11:52 PM
So looks like the Thrashers are heading to Winnipeg. Now they need a name. Winnipeg Winterknights?

Aureluis
05-25-2011, 11:56 PM
VANCOUVER!!!!!

soopykun
05-27-2011, 02:38 AM
Game 1, next Wed. I'm keeping all my evenings free until this is done. The city is going nuts, it's awesome. Go, Vancouver!!!

robeiae
05-27-2011, 03:28 AM
Sure it's great, now...til the Canucks choke in the finals and the city is put to the torch.

dogfacedboy
06-07-2011, 12:03 AM
B's fan here...

Still waiting on that Canucks choke. Hopefully tonight.

NinaK
06-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Canadian Press writes - Downward dog for hockey domination: Vancouver fans want good karma for the Cup.

Could this be a Haggis reference?

profen4
06-08-2011, 01:36 AM
We got spanked last night. Ouch!

KTC
06-08-2011, 01:48 AM
Disgusted by hit on Horton...apology was heartfelt, though. Horton played for my city's OHL team...my son's a huge fan...he has tons of Horton stuff signed. Though I'm cheering on Vancouver, I'm also cheering for Horton.

dogfacedboy
06-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Though I love the violent nature of hockey, it's always gut wrenching to see any player carried off the ice. And as a Boston fan, I'm getting so sick and tired of seeing star players ruined by concussions. Bergeron, Savard, now Horton.

This series could easily go either way, but I can't say I'd be happy if Vancouver wins. Go B's!

robeiae
06-08-2011, 04:58 AM
Disgusted by hit on Horton...apology was heartfelt, though. Horton played for my city's OHL team...my son's a huge fan...he has tons of Horton stuff signed. Though I'm cheering on Vancouver, I'm also cheering for Horton.
Horton was a Panther, too. We loved him down here (I have a signed stick).

It was a nasty hit. And the apology might have been sincere, but I hear Rome is considering appealing the suspension. He should take his medicine and hope this isn't the end of Horton's career.

frimble3
06-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Sure it's great, now...til the Canucks choke in the finals and the city is put to the torch. The way it's looking, it's a good thing it's a wet, wet, city. Maybe a lot of broken glass, though, that's what we had last time.

poetinahat
06-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Horton was a Panther, too. We loved him down here (I have a signed stick).

It was a nasty hit. And the apology might have been sincere, but I hear Rome is considering appealing the suspension. He should take his medicine and hope this isn't the end of Horton's career.
First thing Horton said when he woke up: "I hear The Who..."

I watched the replay of that hit, and yeah, I know things move fast on the ice, but it really looked like Rome lined him up. I didn't really see whether he hit him in the chest or the head, but (and not being a medical sort at all) I would guess it was the landing on the ice that concussed him. You hit a man on skates, when he's not in a position to brace or defend himself, he'll fall hard, no matter whether it's the chest or the head.

frimble3
06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Sure it's great, now...til the Canucks choke in the finals and the city is put to the torch. You called it, perfectly. Vancouver periodically fills with idiots looking for trouble. At least with their 'public fan zones' the police had them kind of corralled. Not that it saved those burning cars and looted stores.
And, I suppose 'innocent' people. But honestly, who down there could not know suspect that this was coming?
It's a shame the weather was nice today, a downpour would have dampened enthusiasm for running amok.
Bet the city still holds it's pointless 'victory parade' this weekend.

profen4
06-16-2011, 02:28 PM
So disgusted by those punks yesterday. What a way for the world to see us. Makes us look like a bunch of babies who can't handle getting beat.
do ngu nu cao cap (http://doxinh.com/danh-muc/do-ngu/do-ngu-nu/) thoi trang (http://doxinh.com.vn/) do so sinh cho be (http://doxinh.vn/danh-muc/do-so-sinh-cho-be/) thoi trang cong so nu (http://trangbanbuon.com/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/) ao so mi cong so (http://trangbanbuon.vn/danh-muc/thoi-trang-cong-so/ao-so-mi-cong-so/) cho thue trang phuc re dep (http://roses.vn/)
Boston played great! Well done, good game.

robeiae
06-16-2011, 04:15 PM
See, that' the great thing about being in a crappy sports town (I'm in Miami). When the Heat lost the finals to the Dallas Mavs, no one here missed a beat.

But I gotta say, I just can't believe it was real fans. The folks in the arena were decent enough. Sure, they booed Bettman, but who doesn't? They gave Boston and Tim Thomas a nice round of applause, from what I heard.

dogfacedboy
06-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it was really too bad to hear about what went on last night. Obviously, I'm ecstatic about the B's winning the cup, but stuff like this really takes some of the fun out of it.

The city actually placed a number of restrictions on bars in the area and denied a viewing party at the Garden in order to prevent exactly the sort of thing that went on in Vancouver. Guess they had the right idea.

regdog
06-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Woot Bruins, long overdue and well deserved. They played with class and kept focused on the prize :)

NinaK
06-16-2011, 07:41 PM
To second regdog, well deserved.

Haggis
06-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Congrats, Bruins fans.

You Vancouver fans don't have to hang your head for what some idiots did either. True sports fans of any nationality don't act like that. Idiots of any nationality do.

regdog
06-17-2011, 03:17 AM
Things have been good for Boston sports in the last few years. Since 2002
Patriots 3 Super Bowls
Red Sox 2 World Series
Celtics 1 NBA Title
Bruins 1 Stanley Cup

Haggis
06-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Things have been good for Boston sports in the last few years. Since 2002
Patriots 3 Super Bowls
Red Sox 2 World Series
Celtics 1 NBA Title
Bruins 1 Stanley Cup
...Hahvahd still losing to Yale....

regdog
06-17-2011, 02:22 PM
:ROFL:

dogfacedboy
06-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Yeah, and the damn Revolution can't bring home the MLS Cup.

And the Patriots now have the longest championship-less streak in the city - 6 years!

Admittedly, we're spoiled in Boston. But damn if it's not a fun place to love sports.

Xelebes
06-22-2011, 04:39 AM
So now it's official. The Whiteout returns. Winnipeg Jets are coming back, for the uninitiated.

Daniels Daddy
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Love the game! I watch it, (my fave team is the Edmonton Oilers), I play it (I'm the goalie), and now my 7 year old son plays.

Undercover
08-02-2011, 08:03 PM
I can't wait for hockey to start. My son plays too and I am so excited for this will be his Senior year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cobras! (son's team)
GO HAWKS! (now you know where I live, just don't hawk me down....hahaha

Chumala
08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I can't wait for hockey to start. My son plays too and I am so excited for this will be his Senior year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Cobras! (son's team)
GO HAWKS! (now you know where I live, just don't hawk me down....hahaha

You are amazing..... yes indeed GO HAWKS

Couver sucks. :/

kittyCAT
10-06-2011, 07:19 AM
I love hockey! I started watching it because I'd copy whatever my brothers did, so I liked the teams they liked; at the time it was the Montreal Canadiens and Calgary - so I chose my own team!
I like the Colorado Avalanche, I know, they sucked last season and had a bad start in this year's pre-season, but I have faith! :)

Orendis
12-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Hockey is a good activity. We can lose weight with it. i play it on weekend with my friends. I am a great lover of hockey match.

Gilroy Cullen
12-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Let's Go Caps!

More a Knuble fan than an Ovie fan. Really wish they'd trade Semin.
Rockin the Red!

RachelleVaughn
03-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Oh, no! We can't let the hockey thread die!!! Especially not now when everyone is racing for the playoffs...

frimble3
03-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Yep. In Vancouver the police are apparently making preparations in case the Canucks make a run for the Stanley Cup, while they are still hunting down and laying charges against the rioters from last year!

blacbird
03-12-2012, 08:07 AM
I've become a fan of the Nashville Predators. I've never even been to Nashville, but their hockey team has the best logo anywhere: a stylized sabre-tooth cat.

caw

TheBuckMopsHere
04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Lifelong hockey fan here. I grew up a Sabres fan and my dad has season tickets. I was really bummed after all the preseason hype to see them miss the way they did. Anyone have any predictions for the upcoming first round? I think Pens/Flyers will be the most entertaining series, but in the playoffs they're all pretty great.

RachelleVaughn
04-11-2012, 01:52 AM
I agree, the Pens/Flyers series will be entertaining. The Bruins/Caps match-up is another one I'm looking forward to. I'm also liking King Henrik and the Rangers, too. Somehow, I can't just pick one! Either way it'll be exciting to see who raises The Cup this year.

Gilroy Cullen
04-12-2012, 06:38 PM
You know, I can't believe, being a Caps fan, that I'm rooting for the Flyers. It hurts so much...

dogfacedboy
04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Yeah, the Pens need to go. I don't know if I can stomach that much whining for the entire playoffs. Hopefully the Canucks can get bumped as well.

Problem is I think Pittsburgh has the best chance to win it all.

Hathor
04-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Another Caps fan here. I can't figure out when I want Pittsburgh to be eliminated. First round to a hated, in-state rival? Second round to (presumably) the Rangers, whose coach recently was quite blunt about the arrogant whiners? Or third round to the Caps?

The only thing I like about the Pens is that their fans boo Jagr.

Time to watch game one of Bruins vs. Caps. It's almost too bad there aren't shoot outs in the playoffs. Did you guys see the Hendricks shot where Tim Thomas was so kerfuffled he fell on his keister? I saw a youtube version with different commentators than the usual DC ones -- one guy said Hendricks had "deked him out of his shorts." I love that line.

dogfacedboy
04-13-2012, 06:56 AM
The shootout goal against Thomas was pretty funny to watch, though I despise the shootout as a game-decider. It was simply a matter of fatigue.

Difficult game to watch tonight. The B's made Holtby look like an all star. Glad it worked out the right way.

Hathor
04-13-2012, 07:14 AM
That's a matter of opinion ;)

At least the Nats won their home opener today. Maybe this is the year they'll finally stop stinking...

Gilroy Cullen
04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, Vokoun is on a one year deal... So odds are next year we have Neuvirth and Holtby in the NHL.

Heart breaker last night, but a record for the Caps. That was the first playoff game they took into overtime with a 0-0 score.

Last time they set that type of pitiful record was 1998 in the finals against Detroit. (The infamy of the only team to lose the cup in four games.)

Hathor
04-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Yep, a strange day for DC sports. Lidge blew a save and Zimmerman couldn't field. Most of our team isn't hitting. Yet now we're leading our division. Oops, wrong sport.

My trilogy has the Caps being good and the Nats being bad. I may need to rewrite...

dogfacedboy
04-13-2012, 07:19 PM
With a better defense in front of him, Holtby could be a very solid option in net. He's not bad, but too many shots come at him and he doesn't get enough help.

The Caps are close, but they're too interested in making the highlight play instead of putting in a solid game. They rely on a quick strike and can't play from behind. Ovechkin's hot dog attempt at the end of the game completely embodies this. He had a solid scoring chance that likely would have won the game but tried to be cute and cut the puck back through his feet and ended up losing it. Just take the shot and play the rebound, if possible.

If they keep it this close every game, this series could be awesome. Playoff hockey is so damn fun!

ETA: And be thankful that you have a baseball team that's supposed to be bad. The Sox are quickly becoming an embarassment.

Hathor
04-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Holtby has talent, just not a lot of experience.

Oh, don't get me started on Ovechkin.

Gilroy Cullen
04-13-2012, 10:16 PM
It's weird. He might not be the better scorer, but I'd take Ovie over Sid the Sour Grape any day.

Though I wouldn't have the C on him.

Hathor
04-13-2012, 10:42 PM
It's weird. He might not be the better scorer, but I'd take Ovie over Sid the Sour Grape any day.

Though I wouldn't have the C on him.

Nope, not at all weird :)

Have you noticed how his play deteriorated after he was named captain?

As for Sid, remember the pacifiers? http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/03/about_those_sidney_crosby_paci.html

Good times.

robeiae
04-16-2012, 05:22 PM
The $64,000 question: if Vancouver gets swept, will the city be put to the torch yet again?

Hathor
04-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Another (but more philosophical) question: if Sidney Crosby talks and no one listens, is he still a whiner?

It takes a lot for me to support the Flyers, but Sid and company are making it easy.

Too bad I can't see the Caps/Bruins game tonight; I have Nats tickets (a Strasburg night, should be fun). There's a bar with TVs overlooking the field. But the last Caps playoff game I spent there, it was crowded far beyond my comfort level. Maybe if we get there super-early and nab a couple of the few seats available?

Wait, we'll have to go early anyway -- many of the folks going to the Caps game will be on the same trains.

PorterStarrByrd
04-16-2012, 06:03 PM
That Pennsylmania game last night was disgusting and I can't get behind either team. It looked more like Letterman top ten listing of cheap shots than a hockey game, even when compared to the good old days.

Crosby has lost what little respect I had for him due to playing skills with his whining and cheapshot punches etc.

Is there some way both of these team can be eliminated in the first round?

robeiae
04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
I fault the Pens a lot more for last night. The Flyers reacted badly, true, but the Pens were really pushing buttons. The worst was leaving Neal on the ice after he committed the cheap shot. If the Pens coach had any sense, he would have sat Neal for a couple of shifts, at least. Really, he should have sent him to the dressing room.

dogfacedboy
04-16-2012, 11:22 PM
It seems clear now that whichever team survives the Philly/Pitt series will likely not make it through the next round. Neither team has had anything resembling capable goaltending, and although Philly has been better, the defensive breakdowns on both sides have been horrifying.

dogfacedboy
04-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Getting kind of tired of the unrestricted violence in this season's playoffs. Real hockey fans understand the difference between hatred and violence in the game. Hockey should be physical, and big hits and fights are a great part of the game. It's almost essential to have a certain level of hate for your opponent in the playoffs. But the idiotic play and staggering number of cheap shots we're seeing this year is out of control.

The Torres hit on Hossa last night was ridiculous. He needs to get hammered by the league. It made me sick that Phoenix ended up winning that game.

The NHL needs to take a much harder stance on this stuff. It's plenty easy to play tough, hard-nose hockey without deliberately injuring players. I suggest any players suspended during the playoffs still take up a roster spot, and a suspension automatically makes that player ineligible to get his name on the cup.

robeiae
04-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I think only the Panthers-Devils series has been played without a suspension. So far.

Xelebes
04-18-2012, 11:38 PM
I think only the Panthers-Devils series has been played without a suspension. So far.

What was the one for St. Louis-San Jose?

Hathor
04-18-2012, 11:45 PM
Here's the most comprehensive list of suspensions I could find: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=50596

robeiae
04-19-2012, 05:29 PM
What was the one for St. Louis-San Jose?
I think I have it wrong. Perhaps what I heard was the only Eastern Conference series without a suspension was Devils-Panthers.

I've got my tickets for game five of that one, btw. Hopefully, it will be the last of the series...

TheBuckMopsHere
04-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Anyone think the Pens have a shot now? You've gotta think if they win in Philly, their odds are good in Pitt. Tough call, but it's been a great series. One game went off the rocker, but I think the refs have been much better since. For hockey refs anyway.

I have to say I'm happy the Predators beat the Wings too. No real reason to dislike the Wings other than I'm kind of sick of them always winning, but I dig the Predators. Cool team, cool colors. I hope they make it deep. Kinda easier to root for the playoffs when your team's out, but not nearly as fun (insert wah wahhh horn).

Gilroy Cullen
04-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Okay, so this weekend was ... weird in Caps land. Another split, with the away team taking the game. Really wanted to close out the Bruins at the Phonebooth, but oh well.

Sid the Sour Grape is gone. Philly got the better of the series. I see them gone next round due to lack of defense. Though that may have been a symptom of Pitt's play style.

Torres is GONE for 25 games. I love the added wording that if his team is eliminated, the suspension extends into next regular season with no preseason allowed. That I see as justice. I think the league needs to dole out more extended suspensions to make players really think about their hits. You have an 82 game season. Four games means so little compared to ten or 15. A concussion can take a player for the season or two. (Backstrom was gone 40. Sid was out a season and a half.) So how can a suspension only last five games for a hit that takes a player out for that long?

(sorry. Soap box was calling my name here...)

Hathor
04-23-2012, 04:32 PM
It isn't just the Caps/Bruins series. The visiting teams overall have been winning considerably more than the home teams in the playoffs this year. I was just comforting a couple Canucks fans in another thread -- told them they could embrace the Caps now ;)

Thrilled about the Pens' elimination, even if it was the Flyers. They can fail in their next series.

Anybody think the Senators will be able to bump off the Rangers next?

TheBuckMopsHere
04-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Anybody think the Senators will be able to bump off the Rangers next?

I hope so. This Sens team is admirable in the way they've imposed their will on a more talented Rangers team. I said half way through the season that betting against the Rangers in the playoffs was a good play because they'd be a high seed that can't score goals - a recipe for disaster. Sure enough, that team really can't score goals. Let's hope that bet pays off ;)

dogfacedboy
04-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Looking forward to yet another game 7 with the Bruins/Capitals. If ever there was a chance for Holtby to look like an inexperienced rookie...

The Canucks are out. Pittsburgh is out. The Rangers might be out soon. Is there anything in sports more exciting than the NHL playoffs? I say no.

Hathor
04-23-2012, 10:38 PM
I read this Caps/Bruins series (or Bruins/Caps, if you prefer ;)) is the first one in history that's gone six games with one-goal margins of victory. I guess there's a reason my fingernails are pathetic right now.

Our baseball team is doing well, but largely due to pitching. Which means close margins of victory (or defeat) for the most part -- again, not good news for my nails.

Gilroy Cullen
04-24-2012, 04:19 PM
I read this Caps/Bruins series (or Bruins/Caps, if you prefer ;)) is the first one in history that's gone six games with one-goal margins of victory.

If the Sens topple the Rangers, it makes more history as it will be the first time that both #1 seeds have been eliminated from contention of the championship in the first round of the NHL or NBA.

Our baseball team is doing well, but largely due to pitching. Which means close margins of victory (or defeat) for the most part -- again, not good news for my nails.

Small advantage for me. I don't like Baseball, but I see the United has started playing again... So I might be sport free until Football season starts.

Hathor
04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Not much of a soccer fan -- I think it depends on what you grow up with. I grew up with American football, so the Redskins' suckitude has been difficult to deal with. And the NBA? We have the Wizards; 'nuff said.

I'm still trying to convert my husband into being a baseball fan. He'll go to the games; let's say that. He's beginning to appreciate certain plays, but I suspect the beer is the biggest draw. He won't go to hockey games, at all -- says they're too expensive, particularly for good seats.

dogfacedboy
04-24-2012, 05:18 PM
I read this Caps/Bruins series (or Bruins/Caps, if you prefer ;)) is the first one in history that's gone six games with one-goal margins of victory. I guess there's a reason my fingernails are pathetic right now.

Yeah, it's been an awesome series. I read that in the entire series the score has been either tied or a one-goal lead for all but about 4 minutes. Talk about a great matchup. I kind of hope that tomorrow night's game is more of the same. It would be a shame to see a blowout after so much tension. (of course I'd be okay with it if the B's win...)
One of the strange things about this series is that the Caps don't really have anybody to hate on the team. Maybe Chimera, but there are no true "bad guys" that we can really despise. Most other teams have that and the hate makes it fun.

I'm just sick of all the game 7's. Out of the last eight playoff series the B's have been in, five of them came down to game 7.

And I simply can't talk about baseball at this point. What a ridiculous soap opera the Sox have become. It's like they were back in the 80's, when it was essentially 25 one-man teams on the roster. What a disgrace.

Hathor
04-24-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm sick of game 7s too -- we traditionally lose them.

There are players on our team that I hate at times. Will that work? Although the usual prima donnas have been behaving themselves this post-season.

Maybe you can hate Knuble because he used to play for you. Or hate the fact that he's been benched for much of the season. I like him, so I hated to see that.

Another possibility is our new coach. I don't think he's done anything outrageous as a coach, but he was rather, er, forceful as a player. The idea of firing Boudreau and hiring him was to get someone who would get in the players' faces.

I don't care for your Mr. Thomas, but that's a political matter. Nothing about him as a player. Actually, growing up I was a big Bruins fan (back in the days of Orr, Phil Esposito, etc. -- which tells you how old I am). But I live here now.

I grew up a Cubs fan. But I knew no better.

Maybe Marlon Byrd will help y'all. He used to play for us. I'd hoped we would try to get him back, but I guess that doesn't fit into the long-term plan or whatever.

Gilroy Cullen
04-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Not much of a soccer fan -- I think it depends on what you grow up with. I grew up with American football, so the Redskins' suckitude has been difficult to deal with. And the NBA? We have the Wizards; 'nuff said.

I'm still trying to convert my husband into being a baseball fan. He'll go to the games; let's say that. He's beginning to appreciate certain plays, but I suspect the beer is the biggest draw. He won't go to hockey games, at all -- says they're too expensive, particularly for good seats.

Oh, I'm born and raised in the DC area. I know all about the Skins, the Bullets er Wiz, the Caps, and the Senators, er Nats.

I was a die hard Skins fan until Snyder ruined the team.
Never enjoyed basketball.
Baseball is too slow if I'm not playing.

So that left me Caps and United. :/

Hathor
04-24-2012, 09:10 PM
The Washington Kastles are supposed to be good.

Snyder's trying to stay out of things now...we'll see. I live in the Maryland burbs, so periodically I shift to the Ravens.

MelissaMD
04-25-2012, 06:36 AM
Go Devils :D

dogfacedboy
04-25-2012, 04:44 PM
The Devils outplayed Florida last night and definitely deserved that win. Kind of a soft goal in OT, but soft goals count just as much. Parise made an outstanding play to set it up, but somehow Kovalchuck gets all the credit for the pass. Either way, it was fun to watch.

Gotta hand it to Clemensen. He looked shaky early on, but settled down nicely.

randi.lee
04-25-2012, 05:37 PM
GO HABS!

dogfacedboy
04-25-2012, 06:40 PM
GO HABS!
Boooo!!!

MelissaMD
04-25-2012, 06:43 PM
The Devils outplayed Florida last night and definitely deserved that win. Kind of a soft goal in OT, but soft goals count just as much. Parise made an outstanding play to set it up, but somehow Kovalchuck gets all the credit for the pass. Either way, it was fun to watch.

Gotta hand it to Clemensen. He looked shaky early on, but settled down nicely.

I hear ya, that pass was pretty much the only thing they talked about on Sports Center.. Made Play of the Night as well.. I unfortunately didn't get to watch the game, I just continued to refresh my Game Center app, haha.. I'll def be watching game 7 though but with my luck, they'll lose :/

Hathor
04-25-2012, 08:05 PM
GO HABS!

Uh, they're already gone ;)

Gilroy, consider coming out to Nationals Park May 4-6. The official idea is to take back "Our Park" from the hordes of Phillies fans that descend upon us locust-like (if locusts drank, booed, cursed, and launched into "Fly, Eagles, Fly" for no logical reason). Those games will probably not be boring, even if game action is slow. Confronting fans from Philadelphia is always a Good Thing.

MelissaMD
04-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Anyone making any predictions on the bruins/caps game?

Hathor
04-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Anyone making any predictions on the bruins/caps game?

I predict at least one person on this thread will be happy, and at least one unhappy...

robeiae
04-26-2012, 04:41 AM
There will be blood.

Gilroy Cullen
04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Is this the year to make history or something?

Only series to have all 7 games decided by one goal.
Caps are starting to worry me.

Last time they made history...

Well, I don't want to talk about it. ;)

So do the Rangers fall, making more history?
Do the Caps play the Devils, Panthers, or Rangers?

(If they play the Rangers, do the Caps get to the conference finals?)

dogfacedboy
04-26-2012, 05:23 PM
I predict at least one person on this thread will be happy, and at least one unhappy...
Count me unhappy.

Congrats to the Capitals. Going into this series I never thought it would be so close. Holtby played very well and the team shed their Boudreau-style system that was their downfall for so long. I'd love to blame injuries, refs, and sloppy play by the Bruins, but that's a loser's lament and the Caps really stepped up and played like winners. Well done.

I'd like to see Ottawa win tonight. The East has been turned upside down this postseason. Why not one more upset? Besides, I like the sentimentality over guys like Alfredsson going out in a glorious Cup run. (Ray Bourque, Marc Recchi, etc.)

Hathor
04-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Not only that -- four of the games went to overtime and two of the others were decided in the last two minutes of the third period. Too close to enjoy except in retrospect.

I'm not quite sure who I want us to play now. Oh well, as the folks say, Holtby, Holtby, Holtby. (So who's going to be the number one goaltender next year...)

At least Zimmermann finally got run support for once. (Best pitcher in baseball no one knows about.) You claim baseball is boring. Not when you rely on pitching and rarely get strong hitting. Then it can come down to one pitch...

Hathor
04-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks, dogfacedboy. (We posted at the same time. My post was responding to Gilroy -- makes more sense that way.)

It was quite a series, and obviously could go either way. I'm glad it didn't get ugly. The Caps are a different team with Backstrom and Green back in the lineup. We're finally getting the hang of defense after all these years. Heck, Semin actually was blocking shots.

Part of me would like Ottawa to win. Another part would like us to be the ones to bump off the Rangers.

Hathor
04-27-2012, 05:35 PM
So, in the west, the #2, 3, 4, and 8 seeds won. In the east, the #1, 5, 6, and 7 did. I wonder if this is the first time they've ended up with one of each seed in the second round.

Gilroy Cullen
04-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Holtby showed his inexperience Saturday. Buckled to easily to those last two goals.

Lundquist had a strong showing, but our snipers weren't up to form. I say the nerves (though hopefully not the gloves) come off this game.

Hathor
04-30-2012, 09:57 PM
There were defensive breakdowns on the last two goals. On one, Green left for a line change thinking there was no danger (there was...and no one replaced him). On another, two of our defensemen covered one Ranger, leaving someone else completely free. I don't think it fair to blame Holtby, at least not entirely, even if he has taken responsibility.

(Maybe we should blame my daughter. She called and I put the game on mute. My mind wasn't focused and the Rangers scored twice. She said she didn't know I used the word I uttered after the first goal.)

I saw that Ovie has admitted he played poorly. (I'm getting so sick of the "what the heck is wrong with Ovechkin" articles we keep being treated to.) And Semin has been taken to task for incurring stupid penalties because he feels the need to retaliate.

Not much energy from the team in Game 1 -- probably a letdown from the intensity of the Bruins series.

On top of that, we had that idiot column in the Post that said the DC sports curse may now be over. Caps lost and the Nats haven't won since.

Hathor
05-01-2012, 06:12 AM
There we go!

randi.lee
05-01-2012, 04:58 PM
GO HABS!

lbender
05-01-2012, 06:32 PM
GO HABS!

Go where? I don't know how many good golf courses they have in Canada, although I imagine they'll find some.

Snappy
05-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Uh oh. Perhaps I should stay out of this thread. I'm a true blue Rangers fan. *sneaks away*

Hathor
05-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Uh oh. Perhaps I should stay out of this thread. I'm a true blue Rangers fan. *sneaks away*

Well, at least you aren't a Pens fan. (I suppose that comment will bring one forth...)

Anyone know what's gotten into the Kings?

lbender
05-01-2012, 07:39 PM

It's okay. Nothing wrong with that. Not a bad team. They're doomed to disappointment, but I'm sure you can deal with that.

Snappy
05-01-2012, 10:21 PM
It's okay. Nothing wrong with that. Not a bad team. They're doomed to disappointment, but I'm sure you can deal with that.

:ROFL:Yeah, since 1995, I've gotten used to it. Break my heart every year.

lbender
05-02-2012, 12:44 AM
:ROFL:Yeah, since 1995, I've gotten used to it. Break my heart every year.

Remember Messier

Gilroy Cullen
05-03-2012, 02:35 AM

No need to leave. We believe in lively discussion.

Gilroy Cullen
05-03-2012, 02:37 AM
GO HABS!

That they did! Right out of the playoffs and back home to nurse their wounds. Maybe next year.

denja
05-06-2012, 01:10 AM
hello hockey fans!
I am a big hockey fan, I support Penguins since my childhood, itīs my favorite club but I love all canadian teams too, Oilers, Leafs and Canucks the most, unfortunately none of them is in playoffs, what do you think who will be 2012 Stanley cup winner?

Gilroy Cullen
05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Until last night, I was seeing Kings - Caps as the finals...

Now... maybe Kings - Devils, cause I think even if the Rangers beat the Caps, they won't get past Jersey, who I expect will finish off the Flyers.

Alpha Echo
05-08-2012, 05:42 PM
My husband's been watching b/c we're in Northern VA and DC fans. The Caps have one more chance tomorrow. Here's hoping!

Hathor
05-08-2012, 07:25 PM
Maryland burbs here. The problem of hoping is they rip your heart out. Maybe we should despair. Then they'll win.

A Cap/Flyers division final would be nice. There's so much animosity now with what's going on with the Nats/Phillies. (I went to one of the "Our Park" games last weekend. Insanely loud. Went to dinner in Eastern Market just go I could sit among the sad-faced Phillies fans. You know, the sort of folks who would cheer when Jayson Werth broke his wrist the next day. Okay, I'm off-topic...) That matchup's looking unlikely, though.

As I asked before, what's with the Kings all of a sudden?

TheBuckMopsHere
05-09-2012, 10:00 PM
The Kings were supposed to be pretty good this year. I thought they'd win that division, but they couldn't score to save their lives. Looks like the Carter trade really helped and now their big guys are stepping up.

The Devils snuck up on me. I have to admit I've had a bias against them since they were the catalyst for the dead puck era of the 90s, but they look real good. Devils/Kings I think would be a crazy Finals, but I still think the Caps can pull it off vs the Rangers so who knows.

denja
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
this season is full of surprises for me but thatīs what it makes more amazing, personally I bet the Kings, although I am a bit sad that Jack Johnson was traded to the Blue Jackets before this big success of the Kings, but thatīs hockey world...

Hathor
05-10-2012, 12:39 AM
... I still think the Caps can pull it off vs the Rangers so who knows.

Who knows, indeed? I had lunch with a couple Rangers fans. It seems like each fan base expects doom. Can't both be right.

TheBuckMopsHere
05-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Who knows, indeed? I had lunch with a couple Rangers fans. It seems like each fan base expects doom. Can't both be right.

One step closer for ya there. Game 7 should be wild. I do like the Caps here. They did it to Boston in Round 1. Why not again? I have to tip my cap to Ovechkin. Dude clearly isn't a big fan of playing defense and his coach makes him pay for it by giving him less minutes, but he's making that time count by scoring big, big goals. I'm just bummed we have to go through two full days of nothing before that game.

Hathor
05-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Well, I don't. I have Strasburg and Gio Gonzalez to watch pitch. (And plenty of ranting about Davey Johnson not putting in the lineup I think he should ;)) Nice to take my mind away from the Caps miserable playoff history. (Wash Post headline this morning: Capitals Survive To Play At Least One More Game.)

denja
05-13-2012, 02:52 PM
is here anybody watching World Championships in Finland and Sweden?

kkbe
05-14-2012, 12:35 PM
. . .anybody watching World Championships in Finland and Sweden?

Can't. . . still mourning the Red Wings. . .

Gilroy Cullen
05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
*le sigh* So much for the hopes of the season. Caps fall in 7 to Rangers.

Suspect that it will be Devils - Kings in the finals still. I think the Caps wore Lundquist out by taking them to seven games. Then again Brodeur is not exactly a young buck out there. So we have to wait and see... I would have loved to see a 7 seed and an 8 seed in the finals, though.

Ah well. Always next year.

denja
05-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Canada out, loss to Slovakia :( :(

TheBuckMopsHere
05-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Canada out, loss to Slovakia :( :(

Oof, then USA loses with seconds left. People who watched the games said the refs were awful in both games. Fact or fiction?

Gilroy Cullen
05-18-2012, 02:07 AM
Did the US use the Capitals Defense strategy?

Hathor
05-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Do you think even the Capitals will continue the Capitals Defense strategy next year? I was feeling optimistic...then Hunter quit. All we need is another system.

denja
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Oof, then USA loses with seconds left. People who watched the games said the refs were awful in both games. Fact or fiction?

refs are poor this world champs but I am very disapointed because of Canada and USA, Canada was so bad in quaterfinals 1 and 3 period I just said to myself "What is it?" it wasnīt Canada I donīt know what happened and the US earned 8 seconds before the end of the third, I thought that the heart attack caught me at that time, yesterday was probably the worst day in hockey for me, I think that when Pens loss to Flyers was even better for me to get over than this :(

Gilroy Cullen
06-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Kings were up 3 games to none, then lose 3 to 1 last night.

Are they choking? Will they continue to be a cupless team?
(Like the other 15 teams out there whom the refs won't let into the finals...)

dogfacedboy
06-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Not sure if the Kings are choking, but I'm happy to see the Devils making it tougher on them. I hate it when any championship series is a sweep.

I'd prefer to see the Devils win the series, but it's pretty unlikely and I suppose it won't make that much difference to me either way. I'm still hoping against hope that Parise will sign with the Bruins next year. And I think Jarred Stoll is a free agent this offseason as well. He'd be a nice fit in Boston.

Gilroy Cullen
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Weird to say, but I'm hoping Semin signs anywhere BUT Washington next year.

The boy just wants money, doesn't wanna play!

Hathor
06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Weird to say, but I'm hoping Semin signs anywhere BUT Washington next year.

The boy just wants money, doesn't wanna play!

The consensus seems to be he won't sign. http://districtsportspage.com/washington-capitals-end-of-season-roundtable-part-v-free-agent-frenzy/8117

I agree with you, with one proviso--who the new coach is. Semin just isn't a defensive whiz, so the switch to such an emphasis on defense was bound to affect him. (That, plus being such a prima donna at times. He was blocking shots there at the end, so there's that.)

I think the switch to a defensive system hasn't worked that well given the personnel we've had.

I'm sorry to see Knuble go.

Maybe we need cocaptains. I can't see Ovechkin getting the boot, but he doesn't seem able to lead -- or influence the other Alex. Then again, he's had his own problems with consistency of effort.

Not that they're asking me. :D (I've been yelling my suggestions at Nats games recently, and they've been similarly unresponsive.)

lbender
06-08-2012, 07:53 PM
The consensus seems to be he won't sign. http://districtsportspage.com/washington-capitals-end-of-season-roundtable-part-v-free-agent-frenzy/8117

I agree with you, with one proviso--who the new coach is. Semin just isn't a defensive whiz, so the switch to such an emphasis on defense was bound to affect him. (That, plus being such a prima donna at times. He was blocking shots there at the end, so there's that.)

I think the switch to a defensive system hasn't worked that well given the personnel we've had.

Maybe we need cocaptains. I can't see Ovechkin getting the boot, but he doesn't seem able to lead -- or influence the other Alex. Then again, he's had his own problems with consistency of effort.

Not that they're asking me. :D (I've been yelling my suggestions at Nats games recently, and they've been similarly unresponsive.)

Don't feel bad. I'm sure both teams appreciate all your suggestions. They love it when fans yell stuff at them. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Hathor
06-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Don't feel bad. I'm sure both teams appreciate all your suggestions. They love it when fans yell stuff at them. http://absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Eh, shows I care, right?

Gilroy Cullen
06-12-2012, 04:01 PM

Knuble and Halpern would both be beneficial, depending on the coach. I don't see how personnel decisions can be made without a coach and system in place. McPhee does not decide the system, only the players.

I've been saying they need a new captain for a season and a half. Ovie's production started dropping when he got the C. He's not a leader, in that sense, but he leads when he doesn't have the weight of the team on him...

dogfacedboy
06-12-2012, 04:26 PM
Congrats to the Kings. Not the team I would have picked to win it, but a feel good story all the same.

Hathor
06-12-2012, 06:32 PM
Congrats to the Kings. Not the team I would have picked to win it, but a feel good story all the same.

Yes, they really seemed to be the team of destiny this year. I've never used that phrase, but it seems to be appropriate here.

Gilroy Cullen
07-18-2012, 10:05 PM
So is the opening by the NHL to the CBA talks going to equal a loss of a season again?

TheBuckMopsHere
07-27-2012, 08:44 PM
So is the opening by the NHL to the CBA talks going to equal a loss of a season again?

Doubt it. Maybe a shortened season a la NBA 2012, but I can't imagine they'd sit back and lose another year like 04-05. That would be a deathblow for a fringe league like the NHL. I'll guess they play at least 60 games this year. Who knows, it might even be more entertaining to see them play fewer games before the playoffs.

Hathor
07-27-2012, 09:19 PM
No more Semin for the Caps. I suppose I should feel sorry, since at times he was good. Now I'm in more of a "don't let the door hit your behind" state of mind. The change may do him some good, too.

Gilroy Cullen
09-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Anyone else looking at the CBA talks and worried that our season will be gone again?

Will this break you of your hockey addiction now, if we lose another season?

Hathor
09-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Anyone else looking at the CBA talks and worried that our season will be gone again?

Will this break you of your hockey addiction now, if we lose another season?

I'm a bit worried, but I've been telling myself they wouldn't be stupid enough to lose another season.

A lost season wouldn't break me of hockey fandom -- it didn't before.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying baseball. Go Nats!

Xelebes
10-25-2012, 02:35 AM
New York Islanders => Brooklyn Hipsters?

Hathor
10-25-2012, 02:55 AM
New York Islanders => Brooklyn Hipsters?

Eh, call 'em the Dodgers. I don't think they've ever gotten over losing them.

Gilroy Cullen
12-26-2012, 11:25 PM
So the lockout has cleared the 100 day mark. Still no deal.

Do you think the union is trying the tactic that the owners did last time? We won't sign a deal as along as Bettman is commissioner?