PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Rejection

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81

Devil Ledbetter
04-28-2010, 05:26 AM
Hi. I'm Devil and I'm a reject. It has been 11 hours since my last rejection.

I am learning to live with rejection because rejection means I'm querying, and querying is something I avoided for a very long time. I've managed to double my number of rejections in just two weeks. I did that by increasing the number of queries I'd sent by six times.

My goal is to land an agent in under 200 queries.

It would be nice to know that I'm not alone in rejection. If you were rejected today, please post here.

triceretops
04-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Hi, Devil. I like your attitude. I'm a warrior. They're not going to keep me down.

Just got rejected by a very famous editor, who had some very nice things to say about the concept. Although he clearly misidentified my genre by a mile and gave that as the primary reason for rejection. He said that he didn't publish contemporary SF as of yet, but it was one of his favorite genres, and he planned to pursue it in the future when he had established a backlist. He said he was looking for various types of character-driven thrillers.

I. Sent. Him. A. Straight espionage thriller, character-driven just like he'd asked for in his guidelines. My title to my book is Diane Nine and The Fusion Machine. And that DOES sound like a YA SF book. You see, he got no further than the title itself. (I am going to change this stupid title)

I couldn't let this one rest. I politely wrote back to him and clarified the mistake he made. I said it was a moot point as far as any decision went, but I couldn't in all truth, let him R me like that without knowing what he'd done.

Tri

Miss Plum
04-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Ooh, sorry I missed your thread earlier, Devil. I got a rejection yesterday -- from someone I had e-mailed the day before yesterday. It was good; I scratched from my list another agent who would be wrong for my project.

I still have quite a few unanswered queries floating around out there, so I may be able to post back in the coming weeks.

The more rejections, the less suspense.

kaitie
04-30-2010, 02:40 PM
I got a rejection today! From an agent I thought I had a really good shot with even. ;)

Phaeal
04-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Well, my latest was from a mag for a short story, but it was the good form with request for more.

The story was in "the mail" less than an hour later. That's my strategy -- they toss the flaming ball back to me, I instantly toss it to the next victim in the circle. ;)

HEY!!! You know what??? We should all get together and write this BLOG where we post ALL OUR REJECTIONS and then get SNARKY at the agents/editors!!!! WOW, and we could call ourselves "THE REJECTION MONARCHS!!!" That would be totally unique!!!!!

(Why do I suddenly feel like Mickey Rooney, in a bandleader's costume?)

kaitie
05-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I got two today! Does that get me a special prize? Though one said they were cutting back on fiction, and the other said they weren't taking on new clients at the moment, so they were like even more painless than usual. :)

Mr Flibble
05-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Not today - yet. Had two personals yesterday that said nice stuff about my writing but certain elements weren't their cup of tea and an almost form a few days ago. Ie a standard form with an added sentence(from what I gather from others that subbed there) that was rather nice. Another personal earlier in the week.

Funny how a nice rejection can actually cheer you up. Which I needed considering how the week started writing wise. Don't ask.

Wayne K
05-01-2010, 02:21 PM
I got one from an editor recently.

The way I look at rejection is that at least I'm in the game. Ya gotta be in it to win it, right?

Mr Flibble
05-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Oh there we go. Form reject.

So who's next on my hit list? *loads e-mail sniper*

Miss Plum
05-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I sent out about five new queries yesterday (Friday). What the hell's taking so long? Doesn't anyone in New York work on Saturday?

Oh well, Monday morning should be a berry patch of rejections.

Mr Flibble
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM

Yup, woke up to one.

kaitie
05-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Got my daily allowance today, then sent off another five (maybe six, I wasn't counting) to make up for not having replenished the past few days when I got rejections. :tongue

Oh, and today's was on a page request, which sorta stinks. Oh well. I've still got a lot of people on my list.

KTC
05-03-2010, 07:44 PM
You are not alone, Devil. I have so many rejects I already broke through your 200 queries goal. I hope you find one before you reach that wall. I've given myself a no-wall threshold. Just keep sending, just keep sending, just keep sending.

cscarlet
05-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I received my very first rejection today EVER!!! :) It was a very polite form rejection from a very amazing agent.

Regardless, I was quite excited. I have a feeling the novelty will wear off fairly quickly but now I feel like I'm "one of you" as opposed to that random chick who put fingers to keyboard. ;)

Drachen Jager
05-03-2010, 11:37 PM
My best was five in a day once. But today I have only one.

Devil Ledbetter
05-03-2010, 11:57 PM
I had two "non-response = rejection" agents that timed out today.

Geez, I'm so bad I can't even get a form rejection this week.

And thanks, peeps. It's nice not to be alone in this.

Miss Plum
05-03-2010, 11:58 PM
I sent out about five new queries yesterday (Friday). What the hell's taking so long? Doesn't anyone in New York work on Saturday?

Got a couple today.

I broke down and paid for a subscription to Publishers Marketplace over the weekend and found a bunch more to query. More queries, more rejections . . . and there was one "Please Send"!

Nya RAyne
05-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I got three rejections today, one was definitely form, the other left me wondering, and the third... Well, I just don't know. What I do know is getting three in one day is harsh on a girl's ego, especially when one starts like a request for a partial and ends with, "sorry, but it was a business decision blah, blah, blah, bulls**t".

Why did I want to be a writer again? Oh, yeah, I'm a glutton for abuse!! At times like this writing seriously sucks!! But I'm so glad I have a nice understanding place to vent my frustrations!!

Nya RAyne
05-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Got a couple today.

I broke down and paid for a subscription to Publishers Marketplace over the weekend and found a bunch more to query. More queries, more rejections . . . and there was one "Please Send"!

Miss. Plum, congrat on the "please send". Maybe I'll get a membership over their also, because the 50 or so agents I've been querying aren't biting.

Miss Plum
05-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Miss. Plum, congrat on the "please send". Maybe I'll get a membership over their also, because the 50 or so agents I've been querying aren't biting.
Thank you, and I urge you to do it. I wasn't sure whether I should and came here (linky somewhere at AW) to inquire. People advised me to do so, and I'm glad I did. There are TONS of agents out there whom you might never find or think to query, but they're listed at Publishers Marketplace. Search up top dealmakers and see who they are and what they're selling.

kaitie
05-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Picked a new one up today. Good luck on the request. :) I'm impressed you sent five queries and pulled a request out of that, to be honest. Oh, to have that kind of skill. ;)

kaitie
05-08-2010, 02:02 PM
So today I had two rejections and a request for three chapters! And yesterday I had one rejection (though technically I'd already gotten a rejection for that one haha) and a request. This is kinda cool haha.

Mr Flibble
05-08-2010, 03:27 PM
My e-mail is full of tumble-weeds. I'm not only getting rejected, I'm getting rejected by ignorement. *cries*

Devil Ledbetter
05-08-2010, 04:49 PM
My e-mail is full of tumble-weeds. I'm not only getting rejected, I'm getting rejected by ignorement. *cries*Me too. I never thought I'd actually miss getting form rejections.:cry:

dolores haze
05-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Got an e-mail a couple of days ago from one of my favorite pubs saying my story had made the shortlist. YAY!

Got another e-mail yesterday saying it hadn't made the cut. BAH!

Kmun261
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Woke up to a rejection from a partial today, the first partial Iíve ever gotten a request for. I donít blink when it comes to form rejections from queries, but this one stings. It always stings more the first time, I guess.

Miss Plum
05-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I've queried every single agent who says she takes my kind of stuff and is currently accepting queries. So in the past week I started confetti-ing the outfield -- the ones who are closed to queries, the ones who don't really say whether they do my kind of project or not -- and I've gotten quite a few more Rs. I'd say about five more in the past week.

Then one agent gave me some good news (she liked it and she's passing it on to a colleague for a second read). Haha, among all those Rs it ain't so much! I'm not so tense, my expectations are under control!

Mr Flibble
05-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Decided to query a couple more agents

Went to querytracker, found my nice list of carefully researched agents. Re-checked their blogs / subs guidelines etc. Clicked to update status - query sent. Click 'return to list'.

Querytracker has lost my list!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

*gibbers quietly in the corner*

Beckstah
05-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I got one yesterday! One of those dreaded Rs that mean "no" for the entire agency, so that stings a little.

Thankfully my luck is perking up a little elsewhere: I have a partial out right now, and another agent sent me some suggestions to make my opening stronger with an offer to resubmit once I made the changes. But I'm still waiting on fifteen more queries, so there's plenty of time for more rejection...

EagerReader
05-08-2010, 10:11 PM
I sent out two waves of queries, four the first time and six the second. I received three speedy rejection, one request for a full and now am waiting for the results of the second wave. I don't know how you all do it. It makes me want to scream, Reject me already, so I can go on with my life!

I know, I know, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Drachen Jager
05-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Ten! Wait until you hit a hundred.

I got two rejections today. Apparently agents come to work on a Saturday just to reject my work!

HA! Beat that!

kaitie
05-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Oh hells yeah. I'm up around a hundred right now. Really...it doesn't bother you quite as much after awhile. I think I sent off more than ten in my first batch. :D

EagerReader
05-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Thanks...I think that makes me feel better. Only ninety more to go before I toughen up, eh?

triceretops
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Received three from publishers just this last week. It was expected--have to weed out the masses before I get to the true prospects. Nothing surprising--just forms.

Tri

Mr Flibble
05-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Okay got my list back (thanks Kaitie :D) and sent a few more out. No more rejections. Yet.

Miss Plum
05-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Ten! Wait until you hit a hundred.

I got two rejections today. Apparently agents come to work on a Saturday just to reject my work!

HA! Beat that!
I bow down before you.

Although one of my rejections was timestamped 7:01 a.m. (their time). I think they rejected me before they went to the bathroom.

Drachen Jager
05-10-2010, 08:02 AM
My first Saturday rejection was timestamped at 5:57 AM. No joke.

kaitie
05-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Three snail mail rejections today. You know...come to think of it, I've never gotten a request from a snail mailed query. Odd. Or not so odd haha. I don't get a ton in the first place. ;)

Anyway, one of them actually said, "We don't find your story to be salable." Yeouch!

Drachen Jager
05-10-2010, 09:18 AM
I haven't hit the snail mail circuit yet. Monday, maybe Tuesday.

I've had the best luck with forms, 2 out of 5 forms I've filled out have resulted in a request. I don't know if my standard query is bad or if high tech firms are just more in synch with my style.

E-mail has not been good to me, very few requests coming in considering how many I sent out.

Miss Plum
05-10-2010, 10:25 AM
My first Saturday rejection was timestamped at 5:57 AM. No joke.
Oh yeah? Well I got rejections from agents I didn't even query. James Van Praaghe called me up and said "That novel you're planning -- don't do it." Microsoft had to make a whole new e-mail client for me called "Look Out!"

kaitie
05-10-2010, 05:45 PM
You know, I've gotten requests from both forms I did, too. Weird lol. I've got a tough sell, but I'm glad to at least be getting something. :)

Drachen Jager
05-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure that my book is a tough sell... It should be fairly easy, maybe I'm just not selling it right.

I have yet to hear back from ANY of my MS requesters. Hopefully there's someone reading it right now who will e-mail me soon with the good news.

triceretops
05-11-2010, 05:20 AM
Chapter requests from one. Two Rs--one was a full from a medium house, and the other an R on the query from a smaller joint.

Tri

Miss Plum
05-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Chapter requests from one. Two Rs--one was a full from a medium house, and the other an R on the query from a smaller joint.

Tri
It's the rejections we want to know about. Daily.

Ah hell, congrats on the request!

dolores haze
05-11-2010, 06:43 AM
"I really enjoyed the story, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass."

First rejection on this story and I had it out to another pub within the hour. *grin*

Drachen Jager
05-11-2010, 09:11 AM
"I really enjoyed the story, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass."

First rejection on this story and I had it out to another pub within the hour. *grin*

You do exclusives? So far I've been studiously avoiding anyone who wants an exclusive.

But I'm thinking why bother giving anyone an exclusive?

I mean if you get the offer from them then YAY. If you don't then so what?

If by some twist of fate you get an offer after you'd accepted some place else, then hey, it's just one editor that's mildly pissed at you and probably won't even remember your name in a week.

kaitie
05-11-2010, 12:23 PM
I just took it to mean she sent it off again as soon as she got the rejection. I do that as well.

Anyway, one rejection for the day, and one full request! Woohoo. I haven't sent new ones yet, though. Working on my rewrite still (eek, full request!), but I think I'm gonna send all the rest of my snail mail possibilities off soon. Well, not all, but most. I've got a few from the same agency so obviously I won't do those at the same time.

kaitie
05-12-2010, 08:13 AM
I got another three today (they've been coming in packs lately. It's weird haha). All saying basically the same thing, too. Maybe agents are sharing forms. :tongue

Miss Plum
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I got another three today (they've been coming in packs lately. It's weird haha). All saying basically the same thing, too. Maybe agents are sharing forms. :tongue
The last couple of Rs I've gotten had misspellings and typos. I wonder if agents have some sort of Reject-o-matic software that creates errors to make the Rs look individually written.

brainstorm77
05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
The last couple of Rs I've gotten had misspellings and typos. I wonder if agents have some sort of Reject-o-matic software that creates errors to make the Rs look individually written.

They do. ACME sells it :tongue

dolores haze
05-12-2010, 03:49 PM
You do exclusives? So far I've been studiously avoiding anyone who wants an exclusive.

But I'm thinking why bother giving anyone an exclusive?

I mean if you get the offer from them then YAY. If you don't then so what?

If by some twist of fate you get an offer after you'd accepted some place else, then hey, it's just one editor that's mildly pissed at you and probably won't even remember your name in a week.

Short story market. Most don't accept simsubs, but they get back to you much faster than novel publishers. I always have a few stories out there, so it's not a big deal. And I don't want any editors even mildly pissed off at me.

ILSinTexas
05-13-2010, 05:00 AM
Wow! I'm so happy I found this thread. After reading through it, I don't feel so all alone.

I got 2 rejections on Monday, then nadda. I think Monday is Magic Rejection Day for agents.

I probably have 12-15 queries out there, and one of them was sent in mid-November to an agency where you fill out an online form. I received acknowledgement of receipt -- twice. So, I know they got it. I never thought I'd say that I wish they'd just reject me so I can go on with my life. Closure, ya know?

I also have 2 requested partials out there and 3 fulls. One full was sent the end of January. After reading through the AW board postings, I know that a status query is probably a waste of time.

What's going on out there in agent land? Is it the economy? Has every wanna be writer in the world dusted off his/her MS and are querying agents? When I queried my last two books, I never waited this long for rejection. It poured in like water from a defective dike.

I hate to admit this, but I'd rather get my rejections promptly and move on. This silent treatment is killing me. AArrgghh! :rant:

Miss Plum
05-13-2010, 06:43 AM
I actually got an R today in one of my SASEs. I was shocked. I thought they just steamed the stamps off them and used them to correspond with signed clients.

kaitie
05-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Got mine for the day. The usual, though worded very nicely. ;)

jerry phoenix
05-13-2010, 09:03 PM
I am rejection. look upon my works ye mighty and despair.

i thought i was doing so well getting my short finished and out the door this week. BAM, 5 month old sub rebounds and hits me in the face.

re-subbed before i had a conciliatory ciggy

brainstorm77
05-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Got one today for a short I sent out a while back. The reason was length. I was a couple hundred words over what she was looking for.

Drachen Jager
05-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Two today. I'm in the same boat as you ILSinTexas, I have a bunch of subs out that have been taking an awfully long time. My only consolation is that none of them have been rejected yet and I know some of the agencies use readers who (unlike the agents) appear to be rejecting in a timely manner so I'm quite sure I'm past the first round.

Miss Plum
05-14-2010, 02:47 AM
I got an e-mail R today from someone I queried by snail-mail. Where's my SASE?

I knew they were steaming the stamps off those things. Bastards.

kaitie
05-14-2010, 03:36 AM
I've only ever gotten one email response from a SASE, and that was from someone who stated on the website that they responded this way and asked not to include one. Have you checked the submission guidelines to make sure they all say to include a SASE?

I seriously don't think these guys are sitting around being sneaky and stealing our stamps.

kaitie
05-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Two already this morning. I'm on a roll! I bet it gets to three by later today lol.

In case you wonder, Kaitie sends out a lot of queries. Though the vast majority are still rejections.

dolores haze
05-14-2010, 05:21 AM
"We really liked the style of the piece, but have decided not to purchase..."

Oh, well. Onwards!

Miss Plum
05-14-2010, 06:40 AM
I've only ever gotten one email response from a SASE, and that was from someone who stated on the website that they responded this way and asked not to include one. Have you checked the submission guidelines to make sure they all say to include a SASE?

I seriously don't think these guys are sitting around being sneaky and stealing our stamps.
These were SASE people and I followed their guidelines. They've got my lousy stamp and my shiny crisp envelope all printed up with the printer ink I bought by selling the last of my food stamps.

kaitie
05-14-2010, 07:53 AM
I've typically heard it's better to hand-write a SASE with ball point pen. That way if something happens and it got spilled on, it can still be used. Seriously, though. I don't think it's nefarious.

Anyway, I got my number three for the day on a snail mail. If it makes you feel any better, Miss Plum, I've got to send all these international mail and it costs me a fortune.

jerry phoenix
05-14-2010, 10:20 AM
they stole your stamp

kaitie
05-14-2010, 11:55 AM
You know, I've actually had agencies be so kind as to pay the extra postage when their response letter weighs more than my stamps allow. Yeah, it might just be ten cents, but three people so far did it. That was pretty darn nice of them. They could have just trashed them.

I seriously don't think agents are out there stealing our stamps.

Miss Plum
05-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I think what they did was, they callously threw my stamp away.

larocca
05-14-2010, 05:29 PM
It is possible for an author with 7 published titles under his belt to come out of retirement after 9 years and rack up some new rejection letters within mere weeks. Ah, nice to know the world didn't change while I wasn't looking.

Mr Flibble
05-14-2010, 07:49 PM
*Frantically presses refresh button*

*checks spam*

*presses refresh*

Gods damn it, just reject me already!

*press*
*press*
*press*
*press*

Drachen Jager
05-14-2010, 08:38 PM
I've been getting a steady trickle of two per day all week except for Wednesday which had a flood of five.

Total for the week so far, lucky 13!

Drachen Jager
05-15-2010, 07:13 AM
One more came in late. The nicest rejection I've had yet on a query. It was a query +1st chapter submission and the guy gave me some very helpful notes. Said he loved the first few pages but after that it didn't quite have enough to keep him going.

Oh well, at least I know now that I have a couple good pages...

kaitie
05-15-2010, 09:34 AM
How funny that they're coming in threes lately. Three new in SASE form today. Still haven't broken my record.

You know, one of these days I'm gonna have to get a request for a snail mail haha.

kaitie
05-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Today's was depressing. :( I can honestly say it's the first time I've cried over getting a rejection. Yeah, I'm lame. Getting over it, though.

jerry phoenix
05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
three rejections on the weekend. two yesterday. resubbed them this morning.

onwards and upwards

Miss Plum
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Today's was depressing. :( I can honestly say it's the first time I've cried over getting a rejection. Yeah, I'm lame. Getting over it, though.
Aw, Kaitie. Was it one you really wanted?

folkchick
05-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry to hear that Kaitie. Hang in there and keep at it!

folkchick
05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Just got one right after sending out a query. It was fast.

Mr Flibble
05-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Just got one right after sending out a query. It was fast.

That's just rubbing it in!

Still waiting for my rejects....

Drachen Jager
05-18-2010, 01:42 AM
When did you submit Idiots? How many submissions?

Most of the time when I sit down and do a batch of twenty or so I see results starting the next day then they trickle in a few a day for a week or so. By the time the first week is up I find about half of the rejections I'm going to see are in, the rest appear less and less frequently for another two months or so.

Anecdotally it seems to me that ironically the better the query the higher the number of rejections you'll receive. Of course the flip side of that is that a good query will have fewer non-responders. It seems a little like there are three grades for some agents, pass, fail and delete.

What I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that if you don't start getting rejections soon you should probably think about another round of QLH.

folkchick
05-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Well, I just got another one, so my query rocks. Actually, it does rock. I had some wonderful help in QLH this weekend.

Interesting theory Drachen.

kaitie
05-18-2010, 03:46 AM
Aw, Kaitie. Was it one you really wanted?

Yeah, but it was mostly what it said coupled with that that got to me.

Anyway, form rejection on a full today. I want another request to make that suck less. :tongue *goes off to send a new query*

triceretops
05-18-2010, 04:01 AM
Ten-day turnaround on a full from that pub who sounds like Pier. Said that it was very well written but not for them. Me thinks I should have found out if they took YA fantasy or not. Auhg.

Tri

kaitie
05-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Three more in SASEs today. Still haven't broken my record. I'd argue that by sheer chance I should get at least one request from a SASE, but I know things don't work that way lol. Anyway, I sent off something like 20 snail mail yesterday, so we'll see what happens. :) Those all had sample chapters of my new pretty rewrite, so they might have a better chance than the naked ones.

Drachen Jager
05-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Zero rejection in my inbox... I guess they're all gearing up for the book expo.

Is anyone else looking forward to the end of book expo so the agents can get back to rejecting us?

Mr Flibble
05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
Anecdotally it seems to me that ironically the better the query the higher the number of rejections you'll receive. Of course the flip side of that is that a good query will have fewer non-responders. It seems a little like there are three grades for some agents, pass, fail and delete.

I think actually it's the advent of the 'non response means no'. It's a matter of knowing how long to leave it before it really means no. And I'm not sure about the three grades...if they don't respond if it's a no, I doubt an agent would make the effort to say 'thanks but no thanks' and hope the writer knows this means 'actually your query was okay'

The first time I queried ( a couple of years ago) I got 100% responses, and tbh the query was complete crap :D

Drachen Jager
05-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm not saying all agents do it that way. I'm just putting myself in an agent's shoes.

I receive a query I like, I give an MS request.

I receive a query I think is terrible, I move on, grumbling about stupid writers wasting my time.

I receive a query that's pretty good but not quite there... Hmm I think, well maybe this author's NEXT book will catch my attention, why not be polite and send a rejection.

I'm not saying all agents think that way but if you put yourself in the agent's shoes I think you'll see why they might send a rejection rather than no response when a query is okay but not quite what they're looking for.

Miss Plum
05-18-2010, 08:34 PM
:tongue *goes off to send a new query*
Kill 'em.

I've got to get busy and send out some more snail-mails, too. Not nearly enough rejections lately. Just one puny one yesterday from a long shot who doesn't even indicate that they handle my type of fiction.

cscarlet
05-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Got one this morning. It was a very nice, personalized rejection so I'm not really complaining ... just sayin' I'm right there with ya'll. :)

Mr Flibble
05-18-2010, 09:01 PM
Yup I just got a personalised on a partial - they said some lovely things and that it was a 'reluctant pass'

*sigh*

Mystic Blossom
05-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Not sure if this has been posted here, but on days that I'm frustrated from lack of news, I read Roxane Gay's blog, and experience rejection through her.

http://www.roxanegay.com/

Devil Ledbetter
05-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Oooh! I just got one after a 3-week dry spell. Only 189 to go and I can shoot this book in the head.:snoopy:

Roly
05-19-2010, 01:42 AM
rejection - 2 month turn around

Mr Flibble
05-19-2010, 02:09 AM
Ohh a request! Only five pages and I had to dither which protag I started with...

But out of my responses(including timed out no response= no) the ratio is working out quite well :D

ILSinTexas
05-19-2010, 04:24 AM
Drachen said:

Zero rejection in my inbox... I guess they're all gearing up for the book expo.

Is anyone else looking forward to the end of book expo so the agents can get back to rejecting us?

Raising hand. Me me me me me! I've got to have my rejection fix!

Miss Plum said:

I've got to get busy and send out some more snail-mails, too. Not nearly enough rejections lately. Just one puny one yesterday from a long shot who doesn't even indicate that they handle my type of fiction.

:roll:

kaitie
05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
I didn't get any today, but I didn't go to work either (business trip), and since the post office for some inexplicable reason delivers all of my mail to the school, I don't know if I got one or not. ;) Anyway, I might still get one before I go to bed. We'll see

Way to go on the request, IRU. Five pages is five pages. :)

Mr Flibble
05-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Way to go on the request, IRU. Five pages is five pages. :)

But are they the right five pages...

I went through thios in SYW and there never was a clear conclusion - it was 50/50 on who liked which start best. I have two protags. The protag I have in my query is not the one that starts the book.

Ah well, fingers crossed.

PS: is anyone else sick of the words 'unfortunately' or 'but' right after the 'I really liked this'

kaitie
05-19-2010, 07:00 PM
You know, in my current version the query character isn't the starting character, either. Hell, he's not even the POV character for most of the story. It's weird. I've never thought of that being a bad thing. Hope it's not. :D

Anyway, sounds to me like you have two equally great openings. :) So it's all good.

Devil Ledbetter
05-19-2010, 07:06 PM
PS: is anyone else sick of the words 'unfortunately' or 'but' right after the 'I really liked this'Yes. And "I just don't feel strongly enough."

Drachen Jager
05-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Everyone seems to appreciate the opportunity to view my work.

But they're all sorry...

Miss Plum
05-20-2010, 02:18 AM
Bleagghh. Just had an R of a partial that left a very sour taste in my mouth. In the same mail dump came a form R that left a very bitter taste in my mouth. Yeah, we're getting caught up.

mkcbunny
05-20-2010, 03:59 AM

OK, so now you have me wanting rejections. It's only been one day since I sent this last batch (completely revised query letter and tightened pages). Now it feels like too long!

Whether or not your theory is true, it makes me feel better about all my actual rejections somehow. :) Especially the fast ones. Ha ha.

ILSinTexas
05-20-2010, 06:50 AM
OMG! No rejections! I think I'm going to die.

David Poellot
05-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Is it too early to join? I hope not. After kicking around ideas in my head for twenty years, I finally polished one of my many works in progress this spring and I am now ready to begin submitting queries. I sent the query letter through QLH, and after six revisions, I think it's good enough to submit. We'll see if I am right, but it is tons better than when I first started thanks to this wonderful place.

So, track record. Began submitting on Sunday night. As of a few minutes ago, I have sent my tenth query. So far, I received two rejections on Monday within 24 hours of being sent and since they were sent on a Sunday, these spry agents came in the office on Monday morning and rejected me before lunch.

Then, I received two today, so that qualifies me for posting in this thread, right?

I am very excited and very anxious. I hope someone requests pages, otherwise it's back to QLH to try the query again.

kaitie
05-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Good luck, David!

I got a snail mail rejection today. Sent off a couple more in the meantime.

mkcbunny
05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
David Poellot, good luck and congratulations on submitting.

Devil Ledbetter
05-20-2010, 04:31 PM
So far, I received two rejections on Monday within 24 hours of being sent and since they were sent on a Sunday, these spry agents came in the office on Monday morning and rejected me before lunch.

Then, I received two today, so that qualifies me for posting in this thread, right?

Absolutely. Welcome to AW.

folkchick
05-20-2010, 05:47 PM
David, welcome and best of luck!

Got a rejection this morning (post coffee, so it was good). Sent out three more queries. Time to shower.

rosiecotton
05-20-2010, 06:24 PM
Can I play, too?

I've just started querying my YA fantasy (first time I've written YA, so I'm pretty excited). A week in and five rejections--yay! Aiming for ten before I tweak my query, (which I think sounds a little too MG, though the novel is most defo YA).

Fingers crossed for today.

Miss Plum
05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
By the way, I was looking in at QueryTracker last night and someone was announcing that she'd received two offers of representation. She also posted her history: a year of querying, 99 rejections.

rosiecotton
05-20-2010, 07:00 PM
By the way, I was looking in at QueryTracker last night and someone was announcing that she'd received two offers of representation. She also posted her history: a year of querying, 99 rejections.

Now, that's the kind of news I like to hear.

Shadow_Ferret
05-20-2010, 07:16 PM
My goal is to land an agent in under 200 queries.

Wow. You've got more stamina then I. And must be a different genre, because at 60+ rejections, I've near run out of agents.

Drachen Jager
05-20-2010, 07:25 PM

I'm only at three months and 61 rejections. I suppose that means I have a ways to go.

On the bright side there are three manuscripts out so... <crosses fingers>

Devil Ledbetter
05-20-2010, 11:05 PM
A fresh rejection in my mailbox this afternoon. So, what else is new?

mkcbunny
05-21-2010, 02:42 AM

Ooooh! My first rejection of this new batch. 48 hours. I must be good! LOL.

EagerReader
05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Does waiting for one count? I've sent four queries out to agents with reps for being pretty quick on the trigger, it's been over two weeks and not a word. Just crickets. It's beginning to make me feel like my query isn't even worth responding to. *sob*

Isn't that rejection too?

Devil Ledbetter
05-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Does waiting for one count? I've sent four queries out to agents with reps for being pretty quick on the trigger, it's been over two weeks and not a word. Just crickets. It's beginning to make me feel like my query isn't even worth responding to. *sob*

Isn't that rejection too?At two weeks, no. But you can still post here - it is a support thread, after all.

The two rejections I received this week were from queries sent out a month ago. I have another dozen out there in the ether patiently awaiting the reject button. I just try to enjoy what little hope I have before they smash it to bits.

Agents are genuinely busy, and saying "no" probably isn't their favorite part of the job.

dolores haze
05-21-2010, 06:10 AM
Blech. Form rejection.

Drachen Jager
05-21-2010, 07:38 AM

Isn't that rejection too?

Everyone's slow right now. Things got messed up for the London Book Fair because of the volcano in Iceland. Starting Monday is the American Book Expo so agents are working double time to try to make up for missing the London one.

If you get a response right now it's probably an agent who's not going... which would mean you probably don't want them anyhow.

David Poellot
05-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Gee, I'm glad I sent out 10 queries this week then.:D I did get four quick rejections, so they must've read and rejected mine before they boarded the plane.

j/k, I'm not really in that big of a rush to get rejected, so if they want to spend some time at a book expo, then more power to them. I'm sure they'll find plenty of time to reject me after they land.:)

Miss Plum
05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Ohp, got it! Snail-mail of a proposal came back to me in a SASE. Okay, off it goes to someone else tomorrow. I wonder if I can set some sort of mileage record.

kaitie
05-21-2010, 12:14 PM
That could explain why I haven't gotten rejected today. :tongue

kaitie
05-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Huh, I take that back. Did get one today. It was a nice one, though. Personalized with a compliment and everything. :D First time I've gotten one of those.

KTC
05-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Yay, ME!

I received an agent rejection today after 2 hours and 20 minutes. It sounds crazy, but I enjoy these ones. I don't like to be left hanging for weeks, months. The bandaid coming off fast doesn't hurt so much.

mkcbunny
05-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Yay, ME!

I received an agent rejection today after 2 hours and 20 minutes. It sounds crazy, but I enjoy these ones. I don't like to be left hanging for weeks, months. The bandaid coming off fast doesn't hurt so much.

Me, too. It somehow makes me feel like I'm making progress. If I'm going to get a rejection, the sooner I know the better.

Mr Flibble
05-22-2010, 12:23 AM
Ah there we go. Form reject on query only. Actually it makes me feel marginally better than getting nothing...

Drachen Jager
05-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Finally a rejection. I went through a bit of a dry spell there.

"Unfortunately, I am no longer accepting science fiction, fantasy or horror. Best of luck..."

Well... Maybe you should update your website to reflect this change of policy.

Why is it we're held to a much higher standard than agents? I've seen plenty of agents with grammatical errors and other problems with the content on their websites.

>sigh<

arkady
05-22-2010, 02:27 AM
That could explain why I haven't gotten rejected today.

It doesn't. I did.

Miss Plum
05-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Why is it we're held to a much higher standard than agents? I've seen plenty of agents with grammatical errors and other problems with the content on their websites.

>sigh<
Garg! Tell me about it. Even some of my rejections look as though they were texted while the person was on a roller coaster and trying to keep her coffee from spilling while managing a small dog.

thankyou but Im very busy riht now and will have to pass .

kaitie
05-22-2010, 07:18 AM
I don't have much of a problem with it. We're asking them to judge us on our writing and trying to prove that we're capable. We have months to spend perfecting the query letter and making sure it's correct. If we have mistakes in it, it shows that chances are, we don't recognize the mistake. And considering how many writers out there submit work and can't put together a correct grammatical sentence, yup, we're going to be judged on it.

An agent, on the other hand, is being judged on sales and might have twenty seconds to type out a message on their blackberry before sending it off before moving on to the next one. I don't think it's so much that we're being held to higher standards as the standards are different. I have a feeling if we had a group of agents lined up who told us "You have one minute each to write and send a query letter, go!" they'd be a lot more forgiving about typos or spelling or whatever.

Picked up a new one this morning, btw. ;)

Devil Ledbetter
05-22-2010, 03:38 PM
>sigh<Yes. And in their rejection letters, too. Oh well. It's our job to produce the good writing; their job to sell it.

Garg! Tell me about it. Even some of my rejections look as though they were texted while the person was on a roller coaster and trying to keep her coffee from spilling while managing a small dog.

thankyou but Im very busy riht now and will have to pass .This leaves me envisioning Paris Hilton, Literary Agent.

Miss Plum
05-22-2010, 07:08 PM
It's Saturday!!!

. . . and I woke up to an R for a partial that I submitted last night. I had clearly stated my genre in my brief, two-paragraph query, agent asked for partial, and she turned it around somewhere between Friday night and Saturday morning with a note that she doesn't rep that genre. "Best of luck," she concluded. Yeah.

brainstorm77
05-22-2010, 09:06 PM
Two rejections today. One stated my novella was 'creative', but not for them. The other said they didn't like first person POV, and suggested I rewrite it in third.

EagerReader
05-22-2010, 09:18 PM
Finally, two form rejections yesterday. Yeah, baby! Only five million more to go!

Miss Plum
05-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Why am I here on a Sunday morning? Because I just spent about 45 minutes vacuuming names off QueryTracker and sending out some routine queries, hoping to see some Rs on Monday morning.

Turns out I didn't have to wait that long. And no, I don't mean an Autoreply saying "We'll get back to you if we like it" -- I mean a personalized NO. Sunday morning they reject me. It's a sacred duty.

David Poellot
05-23-2010, 10:31 PM
Wow, not really expecting anything on a Sunday. I was thinking with this book expo, none of us may see anything for a week or so, but you posted today and yesterday. Well, I only sent out the first 10 last week and received 4 R's, so with only 6 left out there, I'm not really expecting anything on the weekends. We'll see though.

Miss Plum
05-24-2010, 04:24 AM
The scene: Sunday morning, church. An AGENT is texting away on her iPhone. The PASTOR leans over the lectern sternly.

Pastor: Agent, are you texting during services?

Agent: Pastor, get a load of this query I'm rejecting. [reads Miss Plum's query out loud for entire congregation]

Pastor: Oh my word, you're forgiven. But that Miss Plum isn't.

David Poellot
05-24-2010, 05:38 AM
I don't think it was like that at all. If you've been to QLH, then I'm sure your query was ready to send out and not embarrassing at all. I sent mine through with six different revisions before I sent it out.

I'm still surprised that they were sending out rejections on a Sunday though. I know I'm new to the query thing, and I am willing to accept rejection, but I thought on the weekends I might get a break from it.

Miss Plum
05-24-2010, 06:17 AM
I thought on the weekends I might get a break from it.
Welcome to Hell.

kaitie
05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm a little disappointed lol. I haven't had one in two days because of the weekend. Wait, is it weekend in America? Yeah. Tomorrow's Monday, ne? I'd assume that I'll get a couple then, but it's hard to say because of Book Expo. It's probably going to be a slow week.

Mr Flibble
05-24-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm still surprised that they were sending out rejections on a Sunday though.

Not a rejection but I once got an e-mail from an editor at 7am(her time) on a Sunday - and it was Valentines Day! Now that is dedication.

But queries are usually answered when the rest of the work is done, so getting one on a weekend isn't surprising

Sadly my inbox is still empty:(

David Poellot
05-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Yeah, I'm going through rejection withdrawal, and I only started a week ago. I haven't had one since last Wednesday. Actually, it's not so much waiting for the rejection. It's more "does anyone want to see a partial?"

I know I'm very, very, very early in the game, but I was wondering if it's not stated on the website, what's the normal length of time you guys wait before declaring a non-response? Three months? I think I'm going to build some conditional formatting into my spreadsheet, so I need the parameters. It will give me something to do while I wait to send out the next batch.

I guess I could always write...

kaitie
05-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I got one today. Just the usual form, but nice enough. :) I'd hope for more tomorrow but I'm not sure if I should really expect much.

Honestly, I'm seriously getting into the idea of querying my next novel. I'll keep this one up as well, but I've even been playing around with my query letter. Now I just gotta finish the darn book so I can try it. ;)

Miss Plum
05-25-2010, 06:40 PM
I dumped eleven more snail queries into the mail yesterday, so it shouldn't be long . . .

Anyways, a little share: I thought I had exhausted all the agent directories and searched up every legit agent in the country, and then I hit the full glory of QueryTracker. Yowza, 1055 agents? Okay, some are from the same agency, so it's in the 700s maybe, but still, there were tons of people I wasn't aware of. I've been going through one letter of the alphabet each day and sending out queries to anyone who 1) reps my genre and 2) comes up promising on other directories or websites. It's a tad indiscriminate, but it's gotten me a few requests from respectable people I never knew of.

It's also upped my daily rejection rate. So overall, it's a useful little ritual. I just hope I've had an offer of rep by the time I hit the Zs.

Drachen Jager
05-26-2010, 02:00 AM
Nothing wrong with doing it that way Plum. You can't research each and every agency.

I still haven't gone so far as to mail any paper queries yet though. I figure if they don't accept e-mail queries they're probably not that interested in bringing in new clients.

In other news, I got a short 1 line e-mail from an agent on Monday. I almost closed it without reading it properly only to find it was an actual request!

"Send me the first three chapters via email."

EagerReader
05-26-2010, 04:34 AM
And they're comin' in. Another two today. But at least I still have a full out there somewhere, lost in the shuffle, just screaming for a rejection that's sure to come any day now.

David Poellot
05-26-2010, 06:57 AM
Be careful what you wish for....

Received a form rejection today. At least, I think it was a form rejection. It was very enthusiastic and encouraging, but I still think it was form. And it was from one of the biggies in fantasy, so.........:Shrug:

I'm holding onto what I've read in earlier posts in this thread that if you're actually receiving rejections, then your query might be fine as it is. I may still be tempted to send it through QLH for a seventh time though.

kaitie
05-26-2010, 07:01 AM
Well, I picked up two today. Theoretically I should be getting a request soon. Law of averages and all.

Miss Plum
05-26-2010, 08:57 AM
I still haven't gone so far as to mail any paper queries yet though. I figure if they don't accept e-mail queries they're probably not that interested in bringing in new clients.
Not necessarily. I read one agent who said they want snail-mail queries from new authors because they control their spam by limiting their e-mail correspondence to people they know. I got some requests from people I snail-mailed.

In other news, I got a short 1 line e-mail from an agent on Monday. I almost closed it without reading it properly only to find it was an actual request!

"Send me the first three chapters via email."
Haha, cool story! Congrats. Here's hoping we all get outta here and join up again in "The Next Circle of Hell."

Mr Flibble
05-27-2010, 12:58 AM
*sigh* Another one. Not what I needed today.

Phaeal
05-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Not necessarily. I read one agent who said they want snail-mail queries from new authors because they control their spam by limiting their e-mail correspondence to people they know. I got some requests from people I snail-mailed.

LOL, plus it cuts down on queries from people too young to have ever actually affixed one of those weird bright bits of paper to one of these funky-folded thingies and put it in that crazy blue box doohickie on the corner.

kaitie
05-28-2010, 08:19 AM
*Hugs* for IdiotsRus. You're awesome. You'll get there. :)

Picked one up earlier today.

folkchick
05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Another for me : (

KTC
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Got one this morning. From an agent. On a query sent Saturday.

David Poellot
05-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Got one as I checked the Blackberry leaving work. It was very nice and seemed personalized. Here's a comment that struck me:

"these pages just didn't draw me in as much as I had hoped."

I sent her the first five pages with the query. So, I'm wondering, did she like the query, but the first chapter is weak, or is this just another form R, and that's the language she uses? If it truly was personalized, then I should feel better about the query, but not so great about the first chapter, right?

I'm going to check with a few others that have read the first chapter to see if they think it could use more oomph.

Drachen Jager
05-29-2010, 03:41 AM
No rejection for me today... I guess I'm not even good enough to deserve a response.:cry:

Just kidding, at least I've still got 3 partials and a full out... None of the requested materials for this book have been rejected yet, I suppose that's a good thing.

Kilawher
05-29-2010, 04:14 AM
Got one as I checked the Blackberry leaving work. It was very nice and seemed personalized. Here's a comment that struck me:

"these pages just didn't draw me in as much as I had hoped."

I sent her the first five pages with the query. So, I'm wondering, did she like the query, but the first chapter is weak, or is this just another form R, and that's the language she uses? If it truly was personalized, then I should feel better about the query, but not so great about the first chapter, right?

I'm going to check with a few others that have read the first chapter to see if they think it could use more oomph.

Is that from Andrea Somberg? If so, that's her form rejection.

Drachen Jager
05-29-2010, 04:24 AM
Yep, I have the same word for word Kilawher. Is she still, "pressed for time these days..."?

Kilawher
05-29-2010, 04:42 AM
Yep, I have the same word for word Kilawher. Is she still, "pressed for time these days..."?

I don't remember that part, I just remember seeing "these pages didn't draw me in as much as I'd hoped" and thinking "OMG MY FIRST PAGES SUCK!" Then I went into B&BW and saw that it was her form rejection. Fortunately one of her colleagues felt differently and now has my full *crosses fingers*

I hope it's not too late for me to jump into the rejection fray. One today! Hopefully I'll be getting a whole slew now that BEA is over.

David Poellot
05-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Stunning! And, yes, that line was also included. Well, good and bad. Good that I may not need to revise my first few pages, but bad in that I thought I received a nice well thought out personalized rejection. I must be getting cynical in my old age. When I read her rejection, a big part of me thought, "I wonder if this is her form rejection."

Well, it's a nice form rejection anyway.

Phaeal
05-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Unless the rejection letter includes specific information about your MS, it's a form 99.999999999% of the time. By specific I mean:

"I didn't understand why Aloysius stomped all over the forget-me-nots in the third paragraph of page 23."

Okay, it doesn't have to be THAT specific, but you get the idea. ;)

And the point is, without specific feedback, don't try to read too much into a rejection letter.

kaitie
05-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm with Phael. I don't count it as personalized even if it has my name or the title in there. Actually, come to think of it, aside from requests I've only had two that were personalized. One I thought might be a form, so I went and checked on query tracker, only to find out that the compliment had been legit. Woohoo! Still a rejection, but woohoo!

David Poellot
05-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm pretty sure the rejection I received from Nathan was personalized, because he addressed specific comments I made in my opening paragraph.

Drachen Jager
05-29-2010, 11:49 PM
I've only had one personalized R, from Roger Williams. He addressed specific points within the story. He even mentions the MC by name. He had some nice things to say, a couple of critiques and the final verdict was he just wasn't hooked by the end of my sample pages.

I think part of the problem there is that he's not a ten year old boy. I've had several of them read it and they couldn't put it down...

Nevertheless I tried to add some more interest in the opening stages, next agent to comment will probably tell me it's overkill.

Miss Plum
05-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I also got "these pages just didn't draw me in as much as I had hoped." It really bummed me. She found my writing dull, ugh.

David Poellot
05-30-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm still glad it was a form R, but I'm still thinking I should change my first chapter. Isn't that awful?

Mr Flibble
05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Lol, yup I've just had one of those 'Didn't draw me in's'

Yeah, I'm with Phael. I don't count it as personalized even if it has my name or the title in there. Actually, come to think of it, aside from requests I've only had two that were personalized. One I thought might be a form, so I went and checked on query tracker, only to find out that the compliment had been legit. Woohoo! Still a rejection, but woohoo!

Yeah I just did that with another one - I got a tweaked version of a form, but with a nice twist.

I'm feeling less wahoo though. *sigh*

Devil Ledbetter
05-31-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm still glad it was a form R, but I'm still thinking I should change my first chapter. Isn't that awful?Been there, done that. :(

Miss Plum
05-31-2010, 03:39 AM
I sent out a batch today, Sunday of the Memorial Day weekend. And I got two Rs.

EDITING HERE! Woops, I misspoke. I got ONE R, and one Autoreply about the massive number of queries they receive and how I should consider mine toast if I haven't heard from them within eight weeks.

Regarding the latter, I suppose it would be fun to write that type of query. "Due to the large number of agents I'm querying, I won't be able to personalize this letter to you. Your website doesn't really draw me in and I found your Agent Bio to be somewhat flat. Of course this is a subjective business, so some unagented authors may respond more enthusiastically than I can, but I'll have to pass on any salutation other than 'Dear (Yourname).'"

Drachen Jager
05-31-2010, 08:50 PM
Has anyone else found it's really quiet lately on the rejection front or is it just me?

I feel like I have a lot of queries out there but I'm getting very little response. I know the book expo was last week but when they had the fair in Bologna in the spring there was a huge flood of e-mail just after the fair when everyone got back and caught up with their correspondence.

Anyhow... I'm jonesing for a bit of rejection right now. Somebody here want to tell me why they're not interested in my book to help me feel better?

dolores haze
05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Anyhow... I'm jonesing for a bit of rejection right now. Somebody here want to tell me why they're not interested in my book to help me feel better?

Dear Drachen,

Thank you for thinking of us, but your story does not fit our needs at this time.

Sincerely,
Dolly Haze

dolores haze
05-31-2010, 09:08 PM
Heh. Today I received a very opinionated rejection. Gotta love that the ed. took the time to tell me exactly and at length why the story was not to her taste.

williemeikle
05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
Three rejections in 24 hours! The cosmos hates me.

Drachen Jager
05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
I've only had four in the past week Williemeikle. The cosmos must love you, at least you're getting attention!

Drachen Jager
05-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Dear Drachen,

Thank you for thinking of us, but your story does not fit our needs at this time.

Sincerely,
Dolly Haze

Thanks I feel much better now.

David Poellot
06-01-2010, 12:48 AM
Received one today via Blackberry while I was out on the golf course. I guess they're working on Memorial Day.

EagerReader
06-01-2010, 02:42 AM
I'm jealous. Not a one to roll in this whole weekend. I guess the agents I queried have lives. Dang it. I hope it doesn't mean they'll all roll in on Tuesday. That might be hard to take.

Miss Plum: That cracked me up. I dare you to send it. (kidding)

starryeyedkt
06-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Got my very first rejection for a partial today :(

Still, 2 more to go. Up and atom!

kaitie
06-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Has anyone else found it's really quiet lately on the rejection front or is it just me?

I feel like I have a lot of queries out there but I'm getting very little response. I know the book expo was last week but when they had the fair in Bologna in the spring there was a huge flood of e-mail just after the fair when everyone got back and caught up with their correspondence.

Ditto. I haven't been rejected in like four whole days. ;) Maybe I'll start making my list for the new story sometime soon to make up for it.

KTC
06-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Ditto. I haven't been rejected in like four whole days. ;) Maybe I'll start making my list for the new story sometime soon to make up for it.

ditto that ditto. it's ridiculous to be waiting for a rejection...but i have so many queries out there, i feel like i should be receiving some. but nada.

Devil Ledbetter
06-01-2010, 04:30 PM
ditto that ditto. it's ridiculous to be waiting for a rejection...but i have so many queries out there, i feel like i should be receiving some. but nada.Same here. My last rejection was May 20.

rosiecotton
06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
ditto that ditto. it's ridiculous to be waiting for a rejection...but i have so many queries out there, i feel like i should be receiving some. but nada.

Ditto that ditto that ditto. I must be falling into the 'We're so not interested in this, we're not even going to respond' category. But I'll get them. I'll send out more, More, MORE!!!

During a Magners-induced babble this weekend, I came up with a coding system agents should use for rejections:
PQ = poor query
PQ/PP = poor query/poor pages
GQ/PP = good query/poor pages
GQ/GP/NOT = good query/good pages/ not our thing
etc

That way we get a heads-up on what's working/not working, agents don't have to bother with getting into any sort of dialogue with us, and we all get spared from those 'This is a very subjective business...blah, blah, yeah, whatever' rejections. No 'Dear Author', no 'Unfortunately', no 'intriguing premise' BS--just PQ now P OFF! Collect 10 PQs = rewrite query.

Everyone's a winner!

kaitie
06-01-2010, 05:20 PM
A lot of people are also really slow. I didn't get a whole lot for awhile a month or so ago, and then I started getting a wave. Turns out most of them were two or three months old.

KTC
06-01-2010, 06:47 PM
A lot of mine are at the 2-3 month range right now.

rosiecotton
06-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I gotta partial! Yay!!!!!

KTC
06-01-2010, 10:45 PM
HEY! This is the REJECTION THREAD! We'll have none of that here!

(-:

Congrats, ROSIE!!!

and...all is well with the world. i just received a rejection on a query, from an agent. next.

rosiecotton
06-01-2010, 10:53 PM
HEY! This is the REJECTION THREAD! We'll have none of that here!

(-:

Congrats, ROSIE!!!

and...all is well with the world. i just received a rejection on a query, from an agent. next.

It was just a short-lived glitch in the Matrix. Another agent rejected straight after.

I'll shut up now.

KTC
06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
It was just a short-lived glitch in the Matrix. Another agent rejected straight after.

I'll shut up now.

lol! Don't you dare. Keep them comin'...both the good and the bad news.

kaitie
06-02-2010, 03:22 AM
You know what I said about not being rejected in four days? Well, I came to work this morning and had four rejections sitting on my desk. Made up for that! Yeah, the post office delivers all my mail to work. It's weird.

Anyway, still haven't broken my record of no requests from a snail mail. That's kind of odd. You'd think with the amount I've sent out I'd have gotten at least one request now, right? My snail mail queries are skewing my results. :tongue

empty refrigerator
06-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Sigh. I'd like to join you. Got another rejection today (form, for a query). My 19th.

Miss Plum
06-02-2010, 08:58 AM
Three of those snails I dumped in the mail came home to roost. One of the R letters said my metaphors are out of control, whatever that means.

kaitie
06-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Wow, you've gotten non-form responses to snail mails? You're doing better than me. :tongue

I got another one today. I've just got to say, five in one day sucks. Actually, I should go check my email and make sure I can't make that six. A request would be nice right about now.

Miss Plum
06-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Wow, you've gotten non-form responses to snail mails? :tongue

No, I was simply making the lamest joke on the planet. I said something about "snails" "coming home to roost," and then made a remark about my use of metaphors. I don't blame you one bit for not getting it.

KTC
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
just got a request for 50 pages. sent.

no rejections yet today. (-:

folkchick
06-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Just received a very nice rejection:

Thanks so much for sending us your query regarding THE SOUL SEEKERS, which we've now had a chance to review.

Though what you've written promises to be thoughtful and compelling, I'm afraid we were unable to find a place for it at this agency.

Do know that we're glad you considered us, and that we wish you the best of luck in placing your work elsewhere.

I can't be mad when someone is this nice, darnitt!

Drachen Jager
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Three today. Making up for lost time I suppose.

One was a stretch anyhow. She doesn't handle middle grade and, though I can shoe-horn my book into young adult it's a bit of a tight fit.

empty refrigerator
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just got another. This brings me up to 21 form rejections (or rejections via no response)!!! And one request for a full, pending.

21? TWENTY-ONE? This is horrible! Am I the only one with stats this bad?

-Completely and utterly DEJECTED

Drachen Jager
06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
68 Rejections (though 10 or 20 of them I was stretching and didn't hold much hope on)
3 Partial requests
1 Full request

All requests are pending. The full and one partial have been out for over three months now.

But that's not including non-responders. Add them and we're hitting about the same ratio fridge.

empty refrigerator
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Thank you, Drachen (gives shaky smile, puts down vodka)

David Poellot
06-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Not lately rejected,
I felt a bit neglected,
Four more I cast last night,
So far, not a bite.

Ok, I know I received one on Monday, but I thought up that little ditty on the drive home from work. Good thing I'm not trying to be a poet, right?

rosiecotton
06-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Not lately rejected,
I felt a bit neglected,
Four more I cast last night,
So far, not a bite.

Ok, I know I received one on Monday, but I thought up that little ditty on the drive home from work. Good thing I'm not trying to be a poet, right?

Or maybe you are a poet,
But you just don't know it!

rosiecotton
06-03-2010, 04:52 AM

no rejections yet today. (-:

That's awesome! Toes and fingers crossed.

I got one rejection today, so the Matrix has most definitely rebooted.

(I got a full request, too. Tee hee hee)

Devil Ledbetter
06-03-2010, 05:02 AM

no rejections yet today. (-::partyguy:

ILSinTexas
06-03-2010, 06:10 AM
I only received one rejection over the Memorial weekend. What's with these agents and their non-paid interns? Hello?

I have 15 queries out there in never-never-land. I need some resolution. The quiet is driving me crazy.

Seems to me that agents are becoming overwhelmed with all the queries from wanna-be writers who haven't paid their dues. Writers who don't visit AW, writers who think just because they've finished a novel, they can become the next Dan Brown. ARG! I say. Let's flush out these writers, and burn them at the stake. They MUST be witches.

Seriously, I am waiting on a lot of queries. It's beginning to scare me. Anyone else? Silence is golden, unless you are querying an MS.

Miss Plum
06-03-2010, 07:43 AM
I only received one rejection over the Memorial weekend. What's with these agents and their non-paid interns? Hello?
There's toast #1 to you.

Seems to me that agents are becoming overwhelmed with all the queries from wanna-be writers who haven't paid their dues. Writers who don't visit AW, writers who think just because they've finished a novel, they can become the next Dan Brown. ARG! I say. Let's flush out these writers, and burn them at the stake. They MUST be witches. I am SO lifting a glass to you. Damn that surging, reeking, shrieking mob of hobbyists who won't do their homework and who crowd out the few of us who do. You'd think there was no such thing in the world as the INTERNET, much less actual sites on it where you can Share Your Work or go a round with the Evil Editor or the Query Shark. People out there giving their time away for free just to help writers!

Okay, I'm done. Until someone else brings it up.

Miss Plum
06-03-2010, 07:45 AM
OH, and today's Rejection (of course I got one, what are you kidding?) was funny. It was a form, and right behind it in the ol' Inbox was a request for a full FROM THE SAME AGENT. I wrote back asking her for clarification, and I swear to god, I was almost disappointed when she said the request was what she meant.

scottVee
06-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Nothing but rejects lately. Latest one: "I've seen the same thing done better elsewhere."

Oh well. That's true of almost anything, though, isn't it?

kaitie
06-03-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow, things like that make me glad I just get forms. Got another one today. Can I have a request now?

hester
06-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Ooh, can I join? Got a form reject yesterday-first one in a while, so I was almost relieved to know my queries weren't vanishing into cyberspace :)

Miss Plum
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Ooh, can I join? Got a form reject yesterday-first one in a while, so I was almost relieved to know my queries weren't vanishing into cyberspace :)
Of course you can join! We rejectees love company. Have a nice cup of gall. Cream, sugar?

Devil Ledbetter
06-04-2010, 12:46 AM
Form rejection. Four minutes ago. It's official: my query sucks rotten eggs.

ETA: Whoops. Technically I have four rejections today. When I was updating my query spreadsheet I realized I had three non-response timeouts as of today.

I guess four is my unlucky number today.

KTC
06-04-2010, 12:47 AM

dammit. sorry.

keep on keepin' on...

EagerReader
06-04-2010, 12:59 AM
The world has stopped. Not a peep, even from the ones that are "supposed" to be fast.

I agree with Texas, it's scary.

And for Miss Plum: Yay, you! (on the request)

And Devil, I'm sorry. But I'm sure it's not your query, it's what Texas said. Agents are probably brain dead by all the junk they get, they must lose sight of what they're looking for.

mkcbunny
06-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Got one rejection today, about two weeks after sending.

mkcbunny
06-04-2010, 04:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just got another. This brings me up to 21 form rejections (or rejections via no response)!!! And one request for a full, pending.

I am pretty close. I started from scratch on stats when I revised my query and pages after getting no hits. If I were to tally it all up, it would be 22 submissions, with no requests for anything whatsoever. Five are recent (within the last two weeks) and still have some chance at a response.

David Poellot
06-04-2010, 06:21 AM
When I was updating my query spreadsheet I realized I had three non-response timeouts as of today.

Just curious, how much time has to pass for it to be a non-response timeout? I want to build something like that into my spreadsheet.

Miss Plum
06-04-2010, 06:22 AM

To me, you appear as a fresh young virgin with the kiss of spring upon her cheek and hope shining in her eye.

When my dream agent requested my full, I figured I had two choices: live on pins and needles for the next three months, or continue querying until my eyes bled. Frying pan, fire . . . frying pan, fire.

I chose fire. I looked at ALL of the 1,053 agents on the QueryTracker site. I queried every single one of them that I thought was within spitting distance of my project, and I also found all the agents there whom I had already queried and I logged my results.

Stats?

Queries - 257
Rejections - 72
Partial requests - 11
Full requests - 7
Still out - 153

There are a few more people I have left to query. They're special cases since I'll have to send artwork and stuff, which is expensive to print, so I'm holding off until I get a little more desperate.

I've reached the end of the Internet. You, on the other hand, have your whole life ahead of you. A full request!? FANTASTIC! Keep querying!

kaitie
06-04-2010, 06:25 AM

ETA: Whoops. Technically I have four rejections today. When I was updating my query spreadsheet I realized I had three non-response timeouts as of today.

I guess four is my unlucky number today.

If it makes you feel better, I get loads of form rejections and my query is pretty good. Which probably goes to say that my story sucks eggs, which is much worse. ;)

KTC
06-04-2010, 07:05 PM
form rejection on a query...just minutes ago.

Devil Ledbetter
06-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I now have fewer than a dozen queries awaiting reply. Time to revise my butt ugly query and send more hope out into the universe.

EagerReader
06-04-2010, 08:29 PM
I'll stop whining, Miss Plum. Thanks for sharing your stats, it puts things in perspective,and tells me to persevere. I'm new to this business, so I appreciate all the wisdom and advice I run across here.

I've only queried 20 agents, so I've got a ways to go, like the empty refrigerator. The dance has just begun.

Roly
06-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I forgot that yesterday I was rejected on a query I sent six months ago. Lol hahah.

Drachen Jager
06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Two new ones today.

The good news is LG says my work is, "thoughtful and compelling", and CW says she, "very much enjoyed reading your work" but she wasn't confident it has the, "necessary edge".

At least that's what the form letters told me. Personally I'm getting sick of vague compliments in form letters. Don't they know that we see the same things dozens of times? It's not a compliment when it's not personalized. It's just a gracious way of saying, "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out!"

Oh well, I'm entered in two competitions right now. 4:00 today I find out if I beat out the 500 other submissions on Nathan Brandsford's blog to hit the top 10. Am I in the top 2% of action/suspense sequence under 500 words writers? Tune in late this afternoon to find out!

Kilawher
06-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Form rejection on a full. Sigh.

Erin
06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Just curious, how much time has to pass for it to be a non-response timeout? I want to build something like that into my spreadsheet.

If agent doesn't state a time frame on their web, on a query, I mark it a no-response at 2 months. If query + sample chapters, I give it 3 months. I've had agents eventually reply, up to 9 months later, but I'd already marked them off and moved on.

I haven't queried in about 3 weeks (as I *may* have an agent on the hook...but until the offer's in hand, it isn't an offer.) I was having query withdrawal symptoms (been at this on 2 books since Sept. 2008), so I sent 1 lousy query out on a newly revised 2nd book on Wed and got rejection yesterday. Bidding my time...waiting to hear from interested agent.

juliatheswede
06-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Wow, so I suppose I'm not the only one getting rejected to left and right... May I ask, how many agents do you guys query before you give up on a novel? I usually give up at about 75, especially if I barely get any requests for more. Is that stupid?

Drachen Jager
06-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Did you go through QLH and really fine tune your query?

If you didn't then go there, or if you did and you're not getting much activity run it through QLH again, a fresh set of opinions might help.

How many requests did you get on 75 queries? I was thinking about giving up after 40 or so, 2 of my first 20 requested then there was a big break. #s 103 and 173 sent requests though, so you never know! I'm expecting another 50 or so responses to trickle in over the next few months but I don't expect anything positive there. To be fair to myself probably about half of the queries I sent shouldn't have been sent out because the agent in question was only in the ballpark, not an actual match for my book (but even one of them sent a request, so you never know!).

Now I just have to wait on the results of my submissions and keep entering contests I guess. We'll see if K. Ortiz likes my first chapter better than she liked my query!

rosiecotton
06-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Form rejection on a full. Sigh.

That sucks. Take a cookie-- I just baked 'em.

Erin
06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Wow, so I suppose I'm not the only one getting rejected to left and right... May I ask, how many agents do you guys query before you give up on a novel? I usually give up at about 75, especially if I barely get any requests for more. Is that stupid?

Query until there are no agents left. If you're not getting any hits on your query, try running it through Query Letter Hell. My first couple queries on 2 versions of the book I'm querying got 8% & 10% request rate, which is ok, not great. Then I modified the letter again, and have gotten a 23% request rate after sending out 100 queries.

CheyElizabeth
06-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I got a rejection today and two yesterday and one the day before. *waves hello*

Drachen Jager
06-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Only four rejections? Is she allowed in this room?

Kidding, welcome to rejectionville.

juliatheswede
06-04-2010, 11:33 PM
I gave up on my historical after about 75 queries and only one request (twice from the same agency, they can't keep good track of their stuff). I don't feel it's my best stuff anyway, so moved on to writing MG and YA. My MG I started querying in March and have sent out slightly over 60 queries and gotten three partial requests. Marcy Posner was one of them and she asked for an exclusive. When the two-week exclusive we had agreed on was up I emailed her for her decision and she told me she thought it was three weeks and b/c she thought I was rude/idiot/ignorant (pick one or all) enough to think she'd agree to a two-week exlusive (which she clearly had in her response)she had to pass--without even having read it, just wasted my time!

Anyway, have already done the QLH several times. Don't think it's my query that's the problem. Now that I've read through this thread--which is the best thing ever, am SO glad I found it!--I don't feel quite as bad.

Have gotten like five rejections from Andrea Somberg. She needs to update her form rejection, can almost recite from memory by now...:(

Ms Plum, you are so funny:) cracking me up like crazy

juliatheswede
06-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Drachen, how many agents did you query? 173? Was that all on one book? How many requests did you get? Having read this thread, it seems people query a LOT more than 50 agents... this is encouraging to hear.

Drachen Jager
06-05-2010, 12:05 AM
I've queried about 200. Like I said though over half are not a perfect fit. I've had more than a few rejections along the lines of, "We liked your work but it's not really our genre." The problem is it's a middle grade fantasy book, towards the upper age of MG but still MG, about half the agents I've queried don't do MG so I sell it as YA (although it's a bit of a stretch) and about two thirds don't do fantasy.

There are only 33 agents on QueryTracker who fit my criteria (5 aren't open to queries and 1 does snail mail which rules them out in my books until I'm desperate) exactly and three of my requests have come from that pool.

The remaining 170 queries to close-but-not-perfect-fit agents has netted me one request so far.

So, c'est la vie.

The second hundred was all queried within the last month so I'm still hoping to get some more responses there, my first hundred had a 65% response rate and for the second hundred I've only seen about twenty returns. Maybe I'll get another request out of that batch, who knows? There are still a few agents who I might still query. Some agencies say, "A rejection from one of us is a rejection from ALL of us," so I just assume that for any without that disclaimer it's okay to query another agent who's a fit for me after my first pick has rejected my query.

KTC
06-05-2010, 01:50 AM
I just got yet ANOTHER partial request!!!!

I can't believe it. Fingers crossed!

folkchick
06-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Another one for me today. Yay.

juliatheswede
06-05-2010, 02:18 AM
Mine is upper MG too. It seems not to be a very popular genre. Guess one can sell it as YA to reach more agents.

Mr Flibble
06-05-2010, 02:19 AM
So people are definitely back from their jollies. Three today.

*crosses all available extremities for KTC*

Drachen Jager
06-05-2010, 04:26 AM
Anyone else enter Nathan Brandsford's contest? I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. If he gives a date for entries to be in he should read ALL the entries. 10 of 10 entries that he chose to move on or as an honourable mention came from the first half of the entries. I don't believe in coincidences like that. I think he just got tired of reading.

Guess which half I was in <grumble grumble>.

KTC
06-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Just got a rejection on a query. That's one of each today. (-; I can live with those odds.

Miss Plum
06-05-2010, 05:12 AM
I got a rejection today and two yesterday and one the day before. *waves hello*
(Ned Flanders voice) Well hello there, Rejecterino!

Miss Plum
06-05-2010, 05:31 AM
I've been querying so madly that I haven't been keeping up properly here.

June 4:

Thank you for allowing us to consider your query.

Unfortunately, we are going to pass on this project.
June 3:

Thanks for the query, but this doesn’t sound like a project that is right for me.
June 2:

Thank you for submitting your query, but we're not the right agency for your project. Best of luck elsewhere

Thank you for sending me your query. Unfortunately, your project isn’t right for my list, so I’m going to pass. The number of queries I receive makes it impossible for me to provide personalized feedback, but you might try www.agentquery.com, if you haven’t already, for a better editorial match.

Best of luck with your agent search.
June 1:

Thanks for contacting us about your book. Unfortunately, your project doesn't appear to be a good fit for our list at this time. I wish you much success in finding a home for it with another literary agent.

Thank you for your inquiry, however, we are not the right agency for your work. Because of the volume of mail we receive, it is not possible to offer comments. We wish you the best in your publishing efforts.

Thank you for thinking of me with your query for XYZ. While this sounds like a strong project, I'm afraid it doesn't strike me as a likely fit with me and my particular editorial contacts. I wish you well in finding the right agent for your work.

Thanks for the query. I’m sorry but this didn’t pique my interest. Good luck to you.

That's June so far. What is today, the 4th? Gonna be a long month . . .

David Poellot
06-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Way to go, KTC on the partials!

For me, I received another rejection today.

juliatheswede
06-05-2010, 06:03 AM
IlSinTexas, I'm being rejected less than normal these days, so you're not alone. Hoping it's b/c they haven't gotten to my latest query yet, though that's probably not likely...:rant:

Am barely receiving more than one rejection/day.

Miss Plum
06-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Marcy Posner was one of them and she asked for an exclusive. When the two-week exclusive we had agreed on was up I emailed her for her decision and she told me she thought it was three weeks and b/c she thought I was rude/idiot/ignorant (pick one or all) enough to think she'd agree to a two-week exlusive (which she clearly had in her response)she had to pass--without even having read it, just wasted my time!

Ms Plum, you are so funny:) cracking me up like crazy
Thank you, AND let me say, I don't think you necessarily wasted your time. You've found out what Marcy Posner is like. Can you imagine if you had to work with her?

(Waving) Hi, Marcy-googling-herself! I didn't query you, so don't bother rejecting me!

mkcbunny
06-05-2010, 06:27 AM

Congrats!

mkcbunny
06-05-2010, 06:30 AM
I've been querying so madly that I haven't been keeping up properly here.
That's June so far. What is today, the 4th? Gonna be a long month . . .

It's all starting to sound so familiar ...

Erin
06-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Congrats on all the requests!

Today totally sucked for me. The agency that'd been "courting" me, after several inhouse reads and meetings, rejected my full today. They gave me a nice referral, which I appreciate.

On the flip side, another agent who's had a full since December, answered my status check and said my MS was still under consideration.

Mr Flibble
06-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Partial request! And they want a longer synopsis...yes, that's right, the one I haven't polished. And the post office shuts in an hour and a half...To work Bat Dudes!

rosiecotton
06-05-2010, 03:49 PM
There are only 33 agents on QueryTracker who fit my criteria (5 aren't open to queries and 1 does snail mail which rules them out in my books until I'm desperate) exactly and three of my requests have come from that pool.

Drachen, I'd send out some of those snail mailers. I know, they're a pain in the butt and tediously slow in this email age, but... I was lucky enough to speak with an uber agent at an uber agency who (though he was a non-fiction guy, so not right for me) told me that when confronted with a full inbox it's much too easy to simply hit reject. He recommended that if an agent still takes snail--snail it; you're more likely to actually have the submission read.

I know it can get costly, but think of it an investment in your career. Buying a new shirt for a job interview doesn't guarantee you'll get the job, but you'd still do it, right?

Good luck!

kaitie
06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Drachen, I'd send out some of those snail mailers. I know, they're a pain in the butt and tediously slow in this email age, but... I was lucky enough to speak with an uber agent at an uber agency who (though he was a non-fiction guy, so not right for me) told me that when confronted with a full inbox it's much too easy to simply hit reject. He recommended that if an agent still takes snail--snail it; you're more likely to actually have the submission read.

I know it can get costly, but think of it an investment in your career. Buying a new shirt for a job interview doesn't guarantee you'll get the job, but you'd still do it, right?

Good luck!

I've always heard the same thing. And a lot of agents even show higher request rates for snail mail than email on query tracker. I have defied the odds! :D

Really, though, send them out. A lot of really great agents don't take email, so it's worth it even if it takes longer.

KTC
06-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Congrats on all the requests!

Today totally sucked for me. The agency that'd been "courting" me, after several inhouse reads and meetings, rejected my full today. They gave me a nice referral, which I appreciate.

On the flip side, another agent who's had a full since December, answered my status check and said my MS was still under consideration.

Sorry to hear about the reject, Erin. My fingers are crossed for the one still under consideration! Soldier on!