The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

emanny86

Registered
Reaction score
tanx

If you haven't gotten any requests for partials I would start to wonder if it's your query letter that needs work. If I were you I would head over to Query Letter Hell and see what the squirrels say. I've been there for a while for the same reasons.

But what I have learned about submitting directly to editors is that your submission goes immediately to the bottom of the pile. Editors get dozens of submissions frrom agents, and they'll look at those first. Because, of course, that material has already gotten the stamp of approval from someone in the biz. I've heard that unagented submissions can take years to get a response. So I'd stick to finding an agent first, if you're really serious about getting published.

That being said, if you're looking for a list of publishers and what they will accept for a submission, start with The Writers Market. It's a guide to all publishers and agents in the industry, and lists all contact information and what kind of material they are looking for.

Good luck!

thanx! i would check out the site but i would also keep all options open.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If I could explain how to keep deer out of gardens, it would definitely be a best seller. Perhaps I should try my hand at fiction -- how a rational suburban mom grew increasingly unhinged as she watched even her frakking deer-resistant plants getting eaten.

If you keep shoggoths in your yard, you'll have no deer problems. Or dog or cat or children problems either.

CGs again to Sweet Tea!

And I love you, Miss Plum, for posting David's dance.

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, and here we've been discussing the significance and nonsignificance of the way an agent addresses us in his response.

Just got a formish rejection for a long-ago query. So long ago the agent must have felt we were friends from way back and so addressed me not even as Anne but as "Annie."

This struck me as so ludicrously the story of my life that I'm still laughing. I think I'm reaching a new level of consciousness in which I see both pain and pleasure as illusion. Om.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Ok, so honest answers here. Am I crazy for being tempted to walk outside at 1 a.m. at night and just let all my rejection and dejection out in one great big, nonsensical scream at the literary gods? I would do it too, but I'm paranoid someone will hear and call campus security.

I think I've been known to lie on my bed and slam my fists and heels onto it over and over.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Susie, that's real sweet of you to say.

I think I've been known to lie on my bed and slam my fists and heels onto it over and over.

Just the other day I had a nightmare that an agent with a full gave my manuscript a C (needless to say I was mortified) and told me everything fell apart after Act 1 Scene 3 (IT WAS NOT A PLAY.) lol. That's what you get when you mix college with trying to get published, I guess.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Sweet Tea!

Time for a virtual party :partyguy:

Phaeal, do shoggoths eat azaleas or are they strictly carnivorous? I suppose they would scare the crap out of my chipmunks, though.

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
Way to go, Sweet Tea!

Time for a virtual party :partyguy:

Phaeal, do shoggoths eat azaleas or are they strictly carnivorous? I suppose they would scare the crap out of my chipmunks, though.

Shoggoths might crush the azaleas with their viscous bulks on their way to devour the neighbors. Chipmunks are a little small for adult shoggoths to bother with; to protect them, you'll have to use metaphysical manipulation to keep your shogs from budding off babies.*

* Or you can hire a magician to do the manipulation for you. In any case, safety tip: Freely reproducing shoggoths are not a good thing. Many of them are aspiring writers, and they like to deliver their queries in person, and they don't handle rejection as well as we do. So if we want any agents left to query, we must discipline our shoggoths.

Last edited:

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Ok, so honest answers here. Am I crazy for being tempted to walk outside at 1 a.m. at night and just let all my rejection and dejection out in one great big, nonsensical scream at the literary gods? I would do it too, but I'm paranoid someone will hear and call campus security.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to vent your frustrations!! But I'd be paranoid someone would call campus security, too. I tend to just scream and tear my hair out inside the house.

Last edited:

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Today's the day. No more stalling. Twenty Qs in the mail. Right after I have some coffee and find some courage. But. Today's the day.

You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Fear not!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Right. Nothing to fear. Then can someone explain to me why my hands are shaking? Had to have a cigarette to calm the tremors. I'm about to send to my dream agent. Is gushing about her really wrong in a QL? Because I am so tempted. To gush. Uncontrollably.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Love the pompoms, thanks Hathor!

That's what they all say.

Phaeal, I guess the shoggoths are a nonstarter. They would probably be considered an invasive species and would be hell on the lawn. If I would have to hire a magician for metaphysical manipulation, I might as well have the deer dealt with directly.

Too bad, though. I imagine the shoggoth smell would keep the neighborhood dogs from doing their business in my yard. (Well, actually doing their business anywhere ...)

As long as I'm hiring a magician, I should see if a "getting agents to read your manuscript" spell is very expensive. Or are agents using counterspells to protect themselves from querying shoggoths?

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
That's what they all say.

As long as I'm hiring a magician, I should see if a "getting agents to read your manuscript" spell is very expensive. Or are agents using counterspells to protect themselves from querying shoggoths?

If you find out the cost, could you pass it along to me? I'm willing to max out my credit cards to get this done.
icon10.gif

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
From wailing to shoggoths to queries, sounds like a typical day in the trenches. Not to brag or anything, but I got a full, I got a full! Not that it means anything, I've been down that road too many times.

Good for you Carleree! Keep tossing them out like ninja stars!
P.S. Don't gush.

And I'll sign up for that magician too!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Have prepared a list of 9, still looking for 11 more. Investigating agents is exhausting. I may need a drink to settle down. Then once these twenty are out, I'm on to my next book. Incidentally, I think the next book will be a much easier sell. Wish I had thought of it first.

Congrats on the full, Eager. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Toes too.

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
My dry spell is over...I sent out a few queries yesterday and got a FULL request today! Big time agent at a big time firm. If I had a list of dream agents...she'd be on it.

Congrats, Eager, on your full request!!!

Caralee...let those queries fly! Just keep your gushing out of the letter! You don't want to look stalkerish...even if we all seem to be!

Hathor, I'd chip in on the cost of the Getting Agents to Read spell!

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
My dry spell is over...I sent out a few queries yesterday and got a FULL request today! Big time agent at a big time firm. If I had a list of dream agents...she'd be on it.

Congrats, Eager, on your full request!!!

Caralee...let those queries fly! Just keep your gushing out of the letter! You don't want to look stalkerish...even if we all seem to be!

Hathor, I'd chip in on the cost of the Getting Agents to Read spell!
:poke:Hey can I poke you for good luck? Congrats Erin!

Okay, one quick question before I send my poor little QL out to Miss Big Time Agent: If she says she likes Steel Magnolias in her bio, would it be so wrong to let her know my MS is a lot like that?

Phaeal

Registered
Reaction score
Carleree -- I don't know. Go on and slip the SM reference in if you can do so gracefully. However, if your novel is really like SM, you could let the query synopsis speak for itself. Your call.

CGs to Eager Reader and Erin on the fulls!

Oh, and since we seem to have a lot of people willing to chip in for agent enchantment spells, I'll speak to Nyarlathotep about it. None of you need your souls, right?

Erin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Thanks, everyone!

Carleree...you could always say in your query: "[Title of your book] would appeal to fans of [Author of Steel Magnolias.]"

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and since we seem to have a lot of people willing to chip in for agent enchantment spells, I'll speak to Nyarlathotep about it. None of you need your souls, right?

As an Egyptian goddess, I think I outrank some demon with a faux Egyptian name. But then, I don't think I have a "soul" per se ... So let's do this :D

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
As an Egyptian goddess, I think I outrank some demon with a faux Egyptian name. But then, I don't think I have a "soul" per se ... So let's do this :D

I'll throw in my daughter for good measure. Today she peed on my couch and filled my living room with grass and clovers. Naturally, the vacuum broke. I'm ready to trade her in for a good contract.:evil

Status
Not open for further replies.