Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I've got a number of users reporting problems logging in, even after clearing cookies and cache. We're going to shut the boards off and make sure that everything looks like it's supposed to and none of the hamsters is out walking the picket line.

ETA: We've done what we needed to do, and the boards are (obviously) turned back on again.

Last edited:

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
For the record, when you're having trouble with the forums and contact us for technical assistance? Please do NOT make up information - if you don't KNOW what browser you're using, just SAY so. Pulling a name out of thin air won't help either of us. Also, "FireFari" isn't a browser either Google or I've ever heard of.

If you're really still using IE, maybe just in secret, because it's familiar and you still love it best? Please don't pretend to our valiant tech-help peeps that you're using Firefox because you think it makes you sound savvier. It's like expecting us to diagnose an ailing lawnmower using a chainsaw manual.

And when I've explained in excruciating detail why the caps-lock might negatively affect your login experience? Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about and demand to talk to a man instead -- ANY man -- because you think he'd be biologically predisposed to have more technical know-how.

Finally? No one here who answers tech support email gets paid for doing so. They do it because they love the community, and want to give back by helping others. Please do not be abusive, no matter how frustrated you're feeling.

Thank you, that is all.

Last edited:

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
I'm probably late to the party since I just logged in a bit ago, but are people still having forum issues? I didn't have a problem logging into the board itself, only into the password protected areas. I tried several areas to see if it was just one forum or all the forums and following each attempt (after making sure the CAPS LOCK was indeed off and I was typing the correct password) I was greeted with the forum password screen again.

I'm a PC, running IE with Vista. Yeah... not one of the cool kids. :D

P.S. And this....
demand to talk to a man instead -- ANY man
makes me want to spit nails. Ugh. Thanks for all that you do and all the crap you have to put up with in order to do it.

Deleted member 42

Yeah, that's because the cookies have changed.

You need to log off
Delete AW cookies/clear cookies
Quit the browser
If you're using I.E. you may need to restart the computer
Log back into AW

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Summer Spring, that's very much just a cookie issue - when you've got a corrupted cookie, the browser thinks it knows something that it doesn't actually know, so it keeps bouncing off, which is why you get dumped back on the login screen over and over.

Just log out, clear cookies and cache, quit the browser, then open your browser and log back into the passworded areas. :)

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Well, it took almost three hours, but I was finally able to get everything cleared out even after following the recommendations didn't work.

Just in case others using Internet Explorer are having the same problem, double check this: go to your Tools > Internet Options. After clicking Delete in the Browsing History and another prompt box opens, be sure the top box that says "Preserve Favorites website data" is not checked.

Duh.

I had everything else checked to be deleted: temporary internet files, cookies, history, etc. That one box being checked caused all the info I was trying to dump to be retained.

Last edited:

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Just in case others using Internet Explorer are having the same problem, double check this: go to your Tools > Internet Options. After clicking Delete in the Browsing History and another prompt box opens, be sure the top box that says "Preserve Favorites website data" is not checked.

Duh.

NOT duh. I had no idea that IE was doing that -- hence overriding the command to clear your cookies.

Very smart of you to figure it out, and THANK YOU for passing the information along!

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
Glad to be of service. I'd like to think if I'd sent my three screaming kids to bed two hours earlier, I wouldn't have rebooted my system a dozen times, scanned for spyware for another hour, and would have, you know, read all those little checked boxes carefully. LOL

Oh well, hopefully others will learn from my frustration.

Now... back to the erotica forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.