What's the process in most agencies?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
So an agent requests your full and reads it and likes it. Does she put you forward at a creative/business meeting with other partners or superiors (assuming she's at a multi-agent agency)? Does she do some behind-the-scenes contract prep before contacting you? Does she jump on the phone the minute she finishes your manuscript and say "Let's talk"? I realize this probably varies greatly from agency to agency, but I'm curious about process.

Danthia

It really depends on the agency (and the book). Some will have a longer process, others will move more quickly. If they're smaller, they might just have the few agents in the agency read every full request (my agent does this). If they're larger, they might have the boss read everything that comes through, or they might share with colleagues they trust. They might check the market to look for other books like it to determine sales potential. They might Google the author to find out more info. They might grab the phone and call as soon as the last page hits the floor if they love it that much and think it'll go fast.

There's really no set way any of them work. Even if they love it, some will call and others will email. I got both.

Very generally though, they read it, they like it, and they'll act on it if they want to rep it. If it's a hot property (meaning there's something about it that just screams quick seller) then they'll likely move faster. If it's just a great book, then they might move slower.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
It really depends on the agency (and the book). Some will have a longer process, others will move more quickly. If they're smaller, they might just have the few agents in the agency read every full request (my agent does this). If they're larger, they might have the boss read everything that comes through, or they might share with colleagues they trust. They might check the market to look for other books like it to determine sales potential. They might Google the author to find out more info. They might grab the phone and call as soon as the last page hits the floor if they love it that much and think it'll go fast.

There's really no set way any of them work. Even if they love it, some will call and others will email. I got both.

Very generally though, they read it, they like it, and they'll act on it if they want to rep it. If it's a hot property (meaning there's something about it that just screams quick seller) then they'll likely move faster. If it's just a great book, then they might move slower.

What Danthia said. :)

My agent is a one-man agency, so he makes all of the decisions in regards to who he reps. But some agents who are part of the larger, more prominent agencies, have to take projects to meetings and get input from their fellow agents on the project and where the author would fit in at the agency. It really depends.

But if an agent finds a project they want to rep, they'll go through whatever steps are necessary in order to offer representation.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Unless the agency is exceptionally large, most of the agents there will specialize in one type of book. That agent generally gets to decide which books she handles.