Fantasy books with gay or lesbian characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

art_to_words

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could point me to any medieval era fantasy books with lesbian/gay protagonists? I'm planning on writing a novel like this within a few months, so it would help if I had books like my own to read and study.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could point me to any medieval era fantasy books with lesbian/gay protagonists? I'm planning on writing a novel like this within a few months, so it would help if I had books like my own to read and study.

Swordspoint (Ellen Kushner) -- Renaissance/Regency type world
Lady Knight (L-J Baker) -- medieval world
Water Logic, Fire Logic, and Earth Logic (Laurie J Marks) -- medieval/preindustrial world
Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale -- not sure but I think it's Renaissance-ish? I've not yet read this one.
Sword of the Guardian (Merry Shannon) -- medieval world, but the book itself is (IMO) badly written and very cliched.

Georgina

Sushi at midnight
Registered
Reaction score
A couple more for you to try:

Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling -- starts with Luck of the Shadows. Medieval setting.

Doctrine of Labyrinths series by Sarah Monette -- starts with Melusine. Victorian-ish (?) setting.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Richard Morgan's THE STEEL REMAINS. Out of the three main characters, one is openly gay and one is either gay or bi. Medieval setting.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Fire and Ice" series includes two characters who appear to be gay (Renley Baratheon) and bi (sorry, I'm blanking on the name). It's not overt, but it's fairly obvious if you look for it, and there are readers who expect it to become more apparent as the storylines further unfold.

Maryn, not a big fantasy reader

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Manda Scott's Boudica series is set during the Roman empire but has a gay/lesbian/bi protagonists. Very enjoyable books.

fadeaccompli

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Ash, by Malinda Lo. An excellent fairytale retelling that doesn't hew too closely to the original when it makes sense to diverge.

Status
Not open for further replies.