Playing Oblivion.... as a pacifist

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hahahaha! That's cool.

And it's a testament to the game design that someone can do this.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
This reminds me of the pacifist gnome on WoW...

I have the desire to write a fantasy story concerning a pacifist now...

Last edited:

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In Nethack, a game that requires you to eat to live, you can earn a certain distinction if you can play the game as a vegetarian (never eat a slain animal), or fast through the entire game (use a ring of slow digestion and pray when hungry).

And I know you can get to 20th level soloing in Lord of the Rings online without ever killing something. If you were in a group and played as a minstrel, where your role was to heal, you could probably play the entire game without ever having to kill someone.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
So much for all this "violent video game" malarkey. :p As an aside, I really enjoy Oblivion and can't wait for TES5.

Satsya

slow and steady
Registered
Reaction score
I love it when people mess with games like this. It's wonderful.

There are two other examples from WoW off the top of my head: one person that leveled to max without ever dying, and another that leveled naked. Not even a weapon.

I really enjoyed Oblivion too. I did have a tendency to use the insta-kill console command whenever a monster scared me, though. Ooo, that reminds me -- I also spawned about 40 of those Adoring Fans. Then I had them follow me into a cave filled with vampires.

...Sometimes I think I enjoyed Oblivion too much.

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
It's a testament to game design when bizarre character concepts can be attempted. I still have Oblivion on the hard drive. Tons of fun, even after all this time.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
It's a testament to game design when bizarre character concepts can be attempted. I still have Oblivion on the hard drive. Tons of fun, even after all this time.

I recall on the Elder Scrolls wiki there's an entire list of suggestions of bizarre/creative things to do in Oblivion once you've tired (or never even bothered) with the main quest. Some of the examples include taking the Adoring Fan to a tall cliff and gently nudging him off, wandering the forests with a bow & arrow to hunt, collecting and displaying rare items in your house, etc.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
I recall on the Elder Scrolls wiki there's an entire list of suggestions of bizarre/creative things to do in Oblivion once you've tired (or never even bothered) with the main quest. Some of the examples include taking the Adoring Fan to a tall cliff and gently nudging him off, wandering the forests with a bow & arrow to hunt, collecting and displaying rare items in your house, etc.

Y'know, that's actually how I played Oblivion the first time through. And every subsequent time. I logged a couple hundred hours in the game, and never actually finished the main quest. But I modded the hell out of it, read all the in-game books, did all of the sidequests, tried a ton of different builds and playstyles, explored every bit of the map I could.

I reinstall it about once a year just to mess around and try a new build or mod.

I can't wait to lose myself for another few years in TES5.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I reinstalled Oblivion and got OOO 1.3 and Deadly Reflexes.

Cause those mods makes the game actually worth playing.

Well...those mods and "sexlivion."

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Thread publicity.

Check posts 86+, 112, 115, 150, 158, 180, 204-206, and 212 when you get the chance. Freaking hilarious.
Sadly Discord seems to be on a hiatus, no updates since mid-July.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My favourite weird TES char concept is still the Druglord in Morrowind.

karmalinguist

Registered
Reaction score
Oblivion is one of my favourite games. Long live Bethesda Softworks!

ChaosFollowing

Typical Typecast Typist
Registered
Reaction score
Apologies for the thread necromancy, just wanted to thank the participants for introducing me to AW. I'm Discord over at rpg.net, and this was my playthrough.

Additional apologies for the lack of a good ending. :) Once I got my Invisibility/Illusion efficient enough, a lot of the challenge disappeared.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Apologies for the thread necromancy, just wanted to thank the participants for introducing me to AW. I'm Discord over at rpg.net, and this was my playthrough.

Additional apologies for the lack of a good ending. :) Once I got my Invisibility/Illusion efficient enough, a lot of the challenge disappeared.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuk-StWq0DQ

Great to meet ya! :D
Your play-through thread was one of my great comedy joys last summer. Great comedy and humor. I didn't know it could be done so well in such a format.
Just hilarious, and I can go back every once in awhile for a good chuckle.
My favorite parts are the guard company portions, the frost titan, and the infinitely-expanding dog.

ChaosFollowing

Typical Typecast Typist
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuk-StWq0DQ

Great to meet ya! :D
Your play-through thread was one of my great comedy joys last summer. Great comedy and humor. I didn't know it could be done so well in such a format.
Just hilarious, and I can go back every once in awhile for a good chuckle.
My favorite parts are the guard company portions, the frost titan, and the infinitely-expanding dog.
Thanks. Its always nice to know I can do comedy on some small scale, as my other "novel" writing is rather dark & gritty.

I might go back and finish the playthrough at some point, as I still have the save, but it'd probably be more productive to actually work on the novel instead. :) Or start another Play thread...been awhile since I did a Dwarf Fortress one.

ChaosFollowing

Typical Typecast Typist
Registered
Reaction score
Amusingly, Skyrim comes out on my wedding day. It's like Bethseda made me a present, even if I won't actually play it for a little while after. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.