easy Dulce de leche

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, but I wouldn't boil closed cans in my own kitchen! I don't know where one draws the line between Won't Explode and Will Totally, Totally Explode. But on the other hand, it's pretty easy to just simmer some sugary milk in a pot, and that's guaranteed to not demolish your kitchen in a single sugary blitz.

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
No, but I wouldn't boil closed cans in my own kitchen! I don't know where one draws the line between Won't Explode and Will Totally, Totally Explode. But on the other hand, it's pretty easy to just simmer some sugary milk in a pot, and that's guaranteed to not demolish your kitchen in a single sugary blitz.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. As someone who witnessed her grandmother explode green beans all over the ceiling from a pressure cooker moment (which was funny, yet scary) I'm kind of nervous about trying this one!

(the ceiling had to be repainted, btw. lol)

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
My grandmother used to make dulce de leche this way. Never had a can explode.

Lea3

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! That is insanely easy. Just a few questions. Can you put the cans in the fridge after cooling unopened to use for another day?? How long do they keep?? Such a great idea, thanks for posting..

CheekyWench

O.o
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elysabethwilliams.com
Wow! That is insanely easy. Just a few questions. Can you put the cans in the fridge after cooling unopened to use for another day?? How long do they keep?? Such a great idea, thanks for posting..

I found this recipe from a friends' blog, but wanted to give credit to the original recipe - but I did see the question being asked about putting it in the fridge, and they said yes you could. It didn't say how long it would be good for though.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you keep the whole can submerged, it won't explode.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As long as you keep the whole can submerged, it won't explode.

Why is that? Pressure on the can? Pressure 1 cm below the water is only 1.0001 atmosphere (as opposed to pressure in air at sea level, which is 1 atmosphere), which is less variation than you get between a "high pressure" and "low pressure" weather day. I have a hard time believing it, physics-wise.

I'm sure it's been done before, but I wouldn't risk it in my kitchen (or the kitchen of anyone I liked!).

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Why is that?

Honestly, I have no idea. I'm not much of a physicist. But I've seen that same tip on cooking blogs, and it's worked for me, too.

Or maybe I've just been lucky. :D

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
If I had to guess I would say it's temperature differences rather than pressure differences. Heat makes the metal weak, then have a portion out of the water, it'll be cooler, pressure changes, weak chink in the armor, metal contracting and expanding at different rates and poof, you have an exploded can.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Or you could buy this like I do:

40930127-149x149-0-0_Nestle+Nestle+Dulce+De+Leche+Caramel+13+4+Oz+Unit+.jpg

That's pretty easy, and in most grocery stores in the Mexican food section.

I eat it right from the can, no cooking necessary.