If you are going to reject something, atleast make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
This was my latest rejection (After 2 partial requests)

thanks for your query. Unfortunately, this project
does not sound quite right for us (as I have a similar
project right now which I am trying to sell), so I am
going to pass

Well, if you have a similar project, doesn't it actually sound right for you? Shouldn't you say something more along the lines of "Too little too late?" I just wish sometimes they would pay attention to what they are saying.

(rant over, I hate rejections, and they are really starting to get to me)

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
'Doesn't sound quite right for us' is a stock phrase, the sort of thing that's easy to say when you want to reject something for any reason. I think they've added the explanation to try to be helpful, and is an encouraging thing to say about your work.

It's certainly true that if you are going to write a non-form rejection letter, you have to pay attention to the way you phrase things. That's one reason that people use rejection slips, I'm afraid. The question is, would you prefer an anonymous, pre-printed rejection or one that someone had to put some thought into (even if it didn't come out quite right?)

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
That's actually a very good sign! If it interests one agent, it should interest another. Maybe the next one won't already have a similar manuscript on board. I wouldn't get depressed over that one at all.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
That's actually a very good sign! If it interests one agent, it should interest another. Maybe the next one won't already have a similar manuscript on board. I wouldn't get depressed over that one at all.

I completely understand how the phrasing of that particular rejection letter would stick in your craw, so to speak, but I think that LloydBrown has a good point -- the poor phrasing shouldn't take away from the fact the agent was suggesting your book has potential.

Hang tough, and good luck --

OneTeam OneDream

Been a long time...
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a follow up to ask if it was very similar, or just similar as in sports related, this is what I got.

similar as in sports topic, not so much as genre
(memoir) but potential audience/publisher.

Best,

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.