PDA

View Full Version : Do Writers Have a Personality "Type?"

Shwebb
08-23-2005, 12:54 AM
I was just wondering . . .

Do you think that writers, in general, are of a certain personality, or that writers of certain types of work (i.e.--horror, non-fiction, humor, etc.) are drawn to their genres because of their personalities?

Just thought it might be interesting to find out how much alike we all might be--or surprised at how different.

StoryG27
08-23-2005, 01:01 AM
Sure we do, I mean we have personalities, so of course that plays a role in what we like to read and write.

Sometimes, if you read mulitple works of an author, you can get a feel for his/her sense of humor, likes and dislikes, and little personality quirks.

However, many MCs I write are nothing like me, but sometimes more what I think I should be. Some of them actually think before they talk, for instance. And while I'm addmittedly scared of the dark, I love to write high intensity suspense scenes, though I'd never want to be in one.

IMO, personality plays a huge part in what you read and write, how it guides you is unique to each person.

katiemac
08-23-2005, 01:20 AM
There was a thread awhile back where people named their Meyers-Briggs personalities. Almost everyone who responded started with an I and an N, and the last two letters varied. If I remember correctly, a large percentile was INTJ.

Carole
08-23-2005, 02:01 AM
I'm an INFP.

aadams73
08-23-2005, 02:10 AM
I'm an ISFP

Gehanna
08-23-2005, 02:20 AM
I'm a M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Come along and sing a song
And join the jamboree!
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

:hi:

AdamH
08-23-2005, 02:22 AM
I used to be an INTP. But I just retook the test online and I scored an ENTP! But only slightly Extrovert. I think it might have to do this place allowing me to voice my opinion so much. :wag:

AdamH
08-23-2005, 02:23 AM
I'm a M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Come along and sing a song
And join the jamboree!
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

:hi:

L-O-L!

Vanessa
08-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Hmm let's see what I am....Now where's this test? Sounds fun!

aadams73
08-23-2005, 02:30 AM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Andrew Dugan
08-23-2005, 02:42 AM
I'm an ISTJ.

Gotta love that introversion.

Shwebb
08-23-2005, 03:50 AM
I guess it wasn't fair for me to start the thread and not share, was it?

I'm an INFP, according to the Myers-Briggs. According to the MMPI, I'm also a little psychotic--but let me qualify that--I've been told that it just means my mind has "looser connections" than the average person. I even took the inkblot test once, and it said pretty much the same thing. Loose connections, I think, do come in handy when I need to be creative.

Most people who meet me think I'm an extrovert. I just say I'm an introvert, but I overcompensate for it.

WVWriterGirl
08-23-2005, 04:57 AM
ENFP here.

WVWG

Pat~
08-23-2005, 05:12 AM
INFP here (although the "I" was almost on the halfway mark between introvert and extrovert). I've taken it twice, 4 years apart, and scored the same.

Perks
08-23-2005, 05:17 AM
I test ESFP... which makes me a freak of nature.

three seven
08-23-2005, 05:22 AM
ENFJ. But I didn't understand all of the questions.

In answer to the original question: on the evidence of this thread, yes. We're all the type who'll resort to taking pointless personality tests just to get out of doing any work.

brokenfingers
08-23-2005, 05:36 AM
ENTP

As a result my lawyer is currently filing for a retrial.

Shwebb
08-23-2005, 05:49 AM
Now, how do you think the differences--especially between "introvert" and "extrovert"--affect writing style and/or choice of subject/genre?

Sarita
08-23-2005, 06:05 AM
INFP- Heavy on the I (intuitive). Yeah, you know... I'm a Healer Idealist.

Vanessa
08-23-2005, 06:29 AM
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Thanks, I'm going check it out now.

PattiTheWicked
08-23-2005, 06:37 AM
I scored as an ISTJ, which strikes me as funny. I'm actually pretty outgoing.

I just hate being around other people, because for some reason they always want to talk to me.

Shwebb
08-23-2005, 06:49 AM
I think the difference between the two isn't how outgoing you necessarily are, but it has to do with whether you become energized from being around people, or if you become drained.

I come across as being open and extroverted, but I'm actually quite shy. And sometimes it can take me a day or two to "recharge" after being at a party where I have to socialize. It doesn't mean I didn't have a good time; I just don't find it energizing.

Vanessa
08-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Drum roll plz..........
I'm a ............................................ENFJ

That's a pretty cool test. Thanks for sharing.

Sarita
08-23-2005, 06:55 AM
I come across as being open and extroverted, but I'm actually quite shy. And sometimes it can take me a day or two to "recharge" after being at a party where I have to socialize. It doesn't mean I didn't have a good time; I just don't find it energizing. I think that has a lot to do with it. We ended up with the same personality type and I feel much the same after being around large groups. I don't have a problem chatting or even being the focus of attention (ie: speech or presentation) but for a day or two after, I'm shot socially.

aspier
08-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Much of the 'personality thing' + 'traits of writers' is roleplay and wishful thinking. And much of this 'much' is based on specific concepts the individual has of the 'how' a writer should be. Its all in the mind. What is more scary though is the 'collective thing' that exsists among 'writers'. They instinctively know what others think. Oh they know oneanother! That's probably because of the focus on language and categorial values of words, etc. Cyberspace is a good example of this phenomenenon of the collective. In here we are all 'of the same' trait. Here the 'trait of personality' plays itself off inside the individual's brain. Eg the 'character' I am writing this 'through' now for instance is a part of a 'your personality trait'. So you see and etc et al. And that. A 'trait' of words and a deep dark oozy woozy of collectiveness. Nice eh? And cosey ... hey come snug closer! I like you!

as

Unique
08-23-2005, 04:32 PM
hmmm....NOYFB...

aspier
08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
hmmm....NOYFB...

You see! New Speak foible wax and that ouwsy! And noyfy b

Gehanna
08-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey, I know all about that collective thing. My husband collects lint in his belly button all the time. If Johnny Carson were still alive, I'd make a collage of collective lint balls so I could be on the Tonight Show.

It's a good thing my husband doesn't post here or he'd tell you a few things about me to. :D

StoryG27
08-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I am appareantly in a rare group (~2%)

I'm INFJ, and the aritcles describing this personality type were eerily dead-on.

I guess it's a good thing they said INFJ's often find their niche in writing.

awatkins
08-23-2005, 06:34 PM
INFJ here.

Interesting. Thanks!

Rachael
08-24-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm ISFP. Not what I would have guessed, but okay.

If I know you pretty well or if I feel comfortable around you, I'm likely to be loud and boisterous and hyper. If not, I try to retreat into my shell.

I like working with people and helping them and everything, but sometimes I just need to be alone and WRITE.

As far as this affecting my writing, I have no idea.

Euan H.
08-24-2005, 02:06 PM
ISTJ, and it said I'm a 'very expressed' introvert and I have a 'very expressed' judging personality.

Right. The description for this personality type--which they called Inspectors--says that "Inspectors tend not to be attracted by exotic foods, beverages, or locales," which, as I live just outside Bangkok, sounds kinda off to me...

Damn. And all this time I thought I was a BYOB. Now I know.

robeiae
08-24-2005, 05:53 PM
INTJ...I'm a mastermind. Tell me something I didn't already know. :)

Seriously, famous INTJ=Ayn Rand. That's interesting because on the "Which Sci-Fi Writer Are You" (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9894) test, my answer was (drum roll): Ayn Rand.

Berry, berry interesting...

Rob :)

Unique
08-24-2005, 06:00 PM
....that's because you're a berry interesting fellow, Rob.

(in a Booberry Crunch kind of way)

aspier
08-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Hey, I know all about that collective thing. My husband collects lint in his belly button all the time. If Johnny Carson were still alive, I'd make a collage of collective lint balls so I could be on the Tonight Show.

It's a good thing my husband doesn't post here or he'd tell you a few things about me to. :D

Mmmm zeeee collectiveness of Husband? Its husbunk first. Then Husbang. But no belly buttons for me! Doe I get my shoe now?

Gehanna
08-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Mmmm zeeee collectiveness of Husband? Its husbunk first. Then Husbang. But no belly buttons for me! Doe I get my shoe now?

I only have the one shoe. The other, I lost at the stroke of midnight. Now, my shoes are white. They touch the ground through sight alone. I have only one red shoe to remind me of the earth. The other belongs to midnight.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

BlueTexas
08-24-2005, 09:13 PM
INTJ

But a lot of the questions I could have gone either way. For instance, I am a good public speaker, but I don't enjoy it. So how do you answer that one? Ability of preference? I went with preference.

My feelings always surface first when making a decision, but I put them aside to look at it clearly, so I couldn't properly answer those questions, either.

I suppose it's all subjective anyway.

Julie Worth
08-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I used to be an INTP. But I just retook the test online and I scored an ENTP! But only slightly Extrovert. I think it might have to do this place allowing me to voice my opinion so much.

When I worked, I was an ENTP, but now as a novelist, I've gone over to INTP. (I'm a weak thinker (T), but off the charts on NP.)

rekirts
08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I have no personality. The only thing that remains consistent is the introvert part. Every other aspect seems to change every time I do the test. As far as the introversion part goes, I have no problem meeting new people or speaking or performing (music, drama) in public, and I enjoy socializing with friends. But I can't spend a lot of time with other people without starting to feel overwhelmed and in need of some serious alone time.

aspier
08-24-2005, 11:30 PM
I only have the one shoe. The other, I lost at the stroke of midnight. Now, my shoes are white. They touch the ground through sight alone. I have only one red shoe to remind me of the earth. The other belongs to midnight.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

'...I only have the one shoe
the other oh lost at the stroke of midnight

Now my shoes are white.
They touch the ground through sight

alone.

I only have the one red shoe
it reminds me of the earth.

The other oh it belongs to the mid
of night.'

Mmm storytelling's getting better and better! Smile +

Gehanna
08-25-2005, 02:03 AM
You made me laugh Aspire! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

To rekirts, http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoticonhi.gif

I can relate to what you said.

aruna
08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm an off the scale INFP. They are 1% of the entire population and I used to think I was a freak because nobody seemed to be like me at all. Growing up, I developed an awful shyness and inferiority complex because of that. Only when I started to write (in my late 40's!) did I discover that I was exacltly the right type for this profession - and found others of the same. Look how many of us here are INFP's! Or INFJ's!

akelsey333
08-27-2005, 02:33 AM
I'm not an eccentric snob, I'm an INFP ;)

Shwebb
08-27-2005, 11:20 PM
I guess I also figure that writers, especially fiction writers, might suffer from an artistic moodiness--mostly, I guess, because (at least for me) in order to write effectively about characters, one has to feel some of what the character is feeling.

I know from my own experience that if I'm in a place where I cannot access my emotions, my writing seems flat.

Dawno
08-28-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm an ENTJ. Apparently the only one around here. I wonder if that's why I'm not a writer...I need a personality transplant!!!

By the way, if you're a Trekkie or Trekker you should take this test (http://scifi.about.com/library/weekly/aa080201.htm)too. :)

And, btw, I come out as an ENTJ (http://scifi.about.com/library/weekly/aa080201t.htm) there too - I know it's not scientific at all but it's fun and the coincidence is interesting.

Misschelei
08-30-2005, 12:37 AM
When I took this test 10 years ago when I was in accounting it was INTJ. I was told at the time only 1% of the population fit into this category. I thought great so I'm weird (didn't need a test to tell me that :) ).

reph
08-30-2005, 03:34 AM
Me too: INTJ by an online test, and the website said 1%.

And weird.