I want a t-shirt that says "My adult child doesn't live here anymore...

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am no longer his Secretary, his Guilt Tripper, or his Chief Nagger. I get to just be Mom." :hooray:

Any designers here?

In the past 3 days my MIL called to tell me to call him and nag him about writing a thank you note to her neighbor for giving him an old computer he could refurbish. Also to please come visit her or she'll stop cutting coupons for him. (Now there's a threat.) Then sister #3 called to ask us to call him to see if he was coming to our family get-together. Then sister #2 interrupted deep conversation at said get-together to ask my husband to call him and see why he was running late. (He was coming straight from work. Work is solving phone-in crises from folks using the computer system at their restaurants. We don't call him at work, and he wouldn't be able to answer if we did.)

Thanks for the vent. Now...submit me some designs, please!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How old is he?

I have a similar kind of thing going on with my MiL (who, it must be said, I deeply love...)

Mind you, she's never said this:
Also to please come visit her or she'll stop cutting coupons for him.

Last edited:

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How old is he?

I have a similar kind of thing going on with my two......

Twenty-two in about a month.

Sorry about that; any strategies working for you?

ETA: Yes, and I deeply love all these people involved. It's just that they're not transistioning as smoothly as I. :D

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope - no strategies. Sorry. But you know huge understanding....

My MiL goes shopping in her little local community and then returns things. The shop-keepers have realised this is pretty much her way of filling her day, so they've taken to issuing vouchers instead of cash returns as a way to, oh how should I put this, dissuade her.

Since these boutiques cater primarily to the over 80s age-group, and since my adorable MiL (she really is gorgeous) is not actually as interested in Pensioner Fashion as she is in filling the day, she tries to pass the vouchers off on my grunge-loving, indi-magazine-editor twenty-three year old daughter - and is constantly appalled that my daughter won't drop in and collect the vouchers along with the free samples from Wrinkles Are Us that came with the economy box of Depends.... It's becoming a real issue - something to do with Young People Today and No Manners.

So of course I phone up my daughter and yell at her for being a brat and it turns out that she'd gone over there, taken Grandmother out for afternoon tea etc - but wasn't that keen on, well, the vouchers....

I can't believe that I spent time writing all that down, but you sound like a sweet, understanding soul and a kindred spirit. Would your son like a voucher from Elder-shoes and perhaps a nifty new face cream gauranteed to make his friends think he's Newly Incontinent..?

In a moment or two I'm going to have to delete all that. It sounds mean. :(

But I feel your pain, and I'll take a t-shirt.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We managed to kill off most of the older relatives before it came to this, but of the few who remain, something that works is along the lines of, "Gee, Bonnie, he's a grown man now, not a child I can remind about his manners. Why not call him? Do you have his cell number?"

Maryn, who wishes this worked for colleges eager for donations

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm lucky - none of my relatives wants to talk to me, so my son is the one who lets me in on various family happenings - like my sister getting married for the third time. LOL

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pat meant for this to be in Office Pary, so I'm going to shift it there for her.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:D :D

I had folks trying to get me to nag my guy about things, so I feel your pain, really :)

My case would seem to make more sense, but he was a big boy; he made his own choices, you know?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I could make that T-shirt for you, Pat, but can't design a line :D Sorry you have that hassle ... :Cake:s for you 'n all.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pat, I'd like one of those t-shirts, too.

Or maybe I should incorporate that into my phone answering message.
Mostly for the companies and telemarketers that call my number wanting to talk to my son who doesn't live here.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nope - no strategies. Sorry. But you know huge understanding....

My MiL goes shopping in her little local community and then returns things. The shop-keepers have realised this is pretty much her way of filling her day, so they've taken to issuing vouchers instead of cash returns as a way to, oh how should I put this, dissuade her.

Since these boutiques cater primarily to the over 80s age-group, and since my adorable MiL (she really is gorgeous) is not actually as interested in Pensioner Fashion as she is in filling the day, she tries to pass the vouchers off on my grunge-loving, indi-magazine-editor twenty-three year old daughter - and is constantly appalled that my daughter won't drop in and collect the vouchers along with the free samples from Wrinkles Are Us that came with the economy box of Depends.... It's becoming a real issue - something to do with Young People Today and No Manners.

So of course I phone up my daughter and yell at her for being a brat and it turns out that she'd gone over there, taken Grandmother out for afternoon tea etc - but wasn't that keen on, well, the vouchers....

I can't believe that I spent time writing all that down, but you sound like a sweet, understanding soul and a kindred spirit. Would your son like a voucher from Elder-shoes and perhaps a nifty new face cream gauranteed to make his friends think he's Newly Incontinent..?

In a moment or two I'm going to have to delete all that. It sounds mean. :(

I'm glad you didn't. :D I needed the laugh (in bed with flu today). Identical MILs...(at least so far!) and it's a comfort finding a kindred spirit. I think some of this is a generational thing, also having to do with how full or not their lives are (which is part of that generational thing). We are blessed to still have all 4 original ILs still living (80 and older), and local. That last part was not always a blessing through the years, but certainly is now, despite their quirks. ;)

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pat, I'd like one of those t-shirts, too.

Or maybe I should incorporate that into my phone answering message.
Mostly for the companies and telemarketers that call my number wanting to talk to my son who doesn't live here.

Ah, we got rid of our house phone last year for that very reason (also political spam calls). Just cellphones now...but we still get dental appt. postcards and the occasional doctor call on my cell saying it's time for "your regular check-up." That always bring a smile. My son is not exactly "regular" about most anything he does. That call alone tells me that the last time he saw said doc was well over a year ago, before being on his own insurance plan.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wish I could make that T-shirt for you, Pat, but can't design a line :D Sorry you have that hassle ... :Cake:s for you 'n all.

Aw, Suse, thanks for the cake.

Do you have one made out of soda crackers?

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We managed to kill off most of the older relatives before it came to this, but of the few who remain, something that works is along the lines of, "Gee, Bonnie, he's a grown man now, not a child I can remind about his manners. Why not call him? Do you have his cell number?"

Maryn, who wishes this worked for colleges eager for donations

Lol, yeah. I've tried that. Chalk it up to either hearing or memory loss, but that only works for one day. Needs repeating each time.

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@SoccerMom--thanks for the move. :)

@backslashbaby--yes, tried spelling this out with sister #2 after said incident, who doesn't take well to the gentlest of hints. Now I think we might be in the position of shadowwalker with at least one relative (at least today we are).

@shadowwalker--I'm thinking today how absolutely peaceful that sounds. But then, my brain is fried, so what do I know... ;)

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, need your vote for font style.

(Yes, I'm somewhat bored today.)

CALLIGRAPHICTYPED6.png

DADDYOHIP7.png

FOLIOLIGHT8.png

GOUDYBOLD-12.png

HANK-9.png

HOBO5.png

INTEGRITYBOLD-11.png

MISSY-10.png

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hurry and turn his bedroom into an office/game room/workout room/sauna/sanctuary before he comes back. It only takes the people on tv about 30 minutes to renovate the whole darn house.

Lol! I did renovate it into a sanctuary of sorts - a sewing/projects room the month after he moved out. (After I asked him if he was okay with that. He was.) But, I will say it took me much longer than 30 minutes. I had to clear out the bookshelf, closet shelves, and dresser, and rake up his bedroom and closet floors first. Then I had to sift through and separate trash (eight 39-gallon bags) from what was not (about 3 bags). :)

He's got a great apt. though, and is planning to marry. He won't want to come back.

Last edited:

Pat~

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, how do I vote? :D Great words, Pat!

Susie, next to each t-shirt is a font-style word with an orange box around it, telling you what font the shirt is done in to the left. Just let me know your favorite font(s) out of the eight:

Calligraphic Type
Daddy O Hip
Folio Light
Goudy Bold
Hank
Hobo
Integrity Bold
Missy

Thanks!

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
He's got a great apt. though, and is planning to marry. He won't want to come back.

My middle daughter has already clued me in that she will be living with me for the rest of my life, along with her proto-zoo (horses, ferrets, chinchillas, dogs, and cats mostly), six children, and spouse (presumably). When I mentioned to her that six children and that many animals are going to be a challenge to care for, she responded thusly, "Oh, you'll help." (I've already got my new identity picked out and a nice house in Spain. ;-) )