Speak Well Of The Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

wisforwriter

HI,
I have a question which has to do with ethics. I scan the obits in the NY Times and the Washington Post. I have two fabulous obits about people who led such colorful lives but were virtually unknown.
Can I embellish each of these stories, add my own humor, change the locale and give these people completely fictitious names?
I want to write a couple of short stories based upon their experiences or quirky ways but I don't want to get sued by a family who syas, "Hey, You're writing about my father or my Uncle Ned and I want part of any royalties."
Thanks in advance for any help.
Susan :Shrug:

Solatium

Registered
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that there's no harm in it as long as you do change the details. Or, try this test: if you'd gotten the same idea from, say, an anecdote told about a family friend, would you hesitate to fictionalize it if you thought it would make a good story?

Ideas come from all over the place. As long as you don't feel bound to the source -- as long as you are willing to add, change, and reorder things to make the story more appealing -- you shouldn't (or, at least, I wouldn't) fear that the story will come across as anything but fiction. It's only if you stick over-scrupulously to the facts to the artistic detriment of the story that it has any chance of being mistaken for a disguised biography.

Well -- sorry if I'm getting a bit high-flown. That's my $0.07. (Doesn't inflation suck?)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Are you kidding?
Do you know how many of us mystery writers have an idea sparked from an event we see on the news or in the paper.
Change names, palces, and don't recount exact events word for word.
As long as the obits are merely sparking the story and not telling it, I think you'll be fine.

wisforwriter

Thanks Solatium and StoryGirl, I really appreciate your words of wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.